Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pano roof won't open until "closed"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed that my closed pano roof won't respond to the Open button or slider unless I first press Close. Is this normal behavior or a defect? Kind of amazing that I care about this in February in New England, but it's going to be almost 70 tomorrow!

Model S 90D delivered 12/16.

Sorry if this has been asked. I did try a search before posting.

That sounds like something wrong. Mine doesn't do that.

Does it make any noises when you push close, like it wasnt fully seated or something? Although it should still open even if it thought it was open. Weird

No noise and no sign of attempted motion. When I press Open I see "75%" on the display, which I guess is the default. When I press Close there is also no sound or motion, but then when I press Open again it actually does open to 75%. After that it works normally.

Does that happen to you all the time?

Mine did that when I first picked it up. I think I actually had to "close" it, open the vent, then close again, and then it opened all the way. It's worked just fine since then. Damn strange, but no problems since that first one.

I've noticed that my closed pano roof won't respond to the Open button or slider unless I first press Close. Is this normal behavior or a defect? Kind of amazing that I care about this in February in New England, but it's going to be almost 70 tomorrow!

Model S 90D delivered 12/16.

Sorry if this has been asked. I did try a search before posting.

Mine does this practically every time, built in Nov 16. I haven't contacted Tesla about it yet.

I've experienced a different problem. Once open, in vent position, it will not close unless I open it wider. It ignores my pressing the close position. A few days ago I left the roof in vent, but when I checked the screen it said it was in close position. I had to again open it more to close it.

I took my car in for service and complained about this problem. They claim it is a software issue and will be fixed in the latest release 17.22.46. I picked up my car yesterday, so too soon to tell. But I rather doubt it. They told me my mirror unfolding problem would be fixed by a software update but yesterday, after first trying to lubricate it, they replaced it.

You are not alone. Mine does that same thing.
X 2 mine does it also... It wont open unless I close it even though its already closed. My side mirrors also do not open all the way so I have to either leave them open or push them open because they get stuck 1/2 way. I also get wind noise which is also frustrating but I guess what do you expect for a $100k car :(