TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Pano roof won't open until "closed"

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Tangible, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Tangible

Tangible Member

I've noticed that my closed pano roof won't respond to the Open button or slider unless I first press Close. Is this normal behavior or a defect? Kind of amazing that I care about this in February in New England, but it's going to be almost 70 tomorrow!

Model S 90D delivered 12/16.

Sorry if this has been asked. I did try a search before posting.

2. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

That sounds like something wrong. Mine doesn't do that.

Does it make any noises when you push close, like it wasnt fully seated or something? Although it should still open even if it thought it was open. Weird

3. Tangible

Tangible Member

No noise and no sign of attempted motion. When I press Open I see "75%" on the display, which I guess is the default. When I press Close there is also no sound or motion, but then when I press Open again it actually does open to 75%. After that it works normally.

4. SammyJr.

SammyJr. Member

You are not alone. Mine does that same thing.

5. TexLaw

TexLaw Member

Does that happen to you all the time?

Mine did that when I first picked it up. I think I actually had to "close" it, open the vent, then close again, and then it opened all the way. It's worked just fine since then. Damn strange, but no problems since that first one.

6. Carlover

Carlover New Member

Have a 2016 90D happens at least once a month for no apparent reason. Sometimes I can't open the sunroof at all. Then mysteriously it will self correct..

Going to mention it when I take in for service....

7. ND100

ND100 Member

Mine does this practically every time, built in Nov 16. I haven't contacted Tesla about it yet.

8. Drekar

Drekar Member

I've experienced a different problem. Once open, in vent position, it will not close unless I open it wider. It ignores my pressing the close position. A few days ago I left the roof in vent, but when I checked the screen it said it was in close position. I had to again open it more to close it.

I took my car in for service and complained about this problem. They claim it is a software issue and will be fixed in the latest release 17.22.46. I picked up my car yesterday, so too soon to tell. But I rather doubt it. They told me my mirror unfolding problem would be fixed by a software update but yesterday, after first trying to lubricate it, they replaced it.

9. Cricket88

Cricket88 Member

its a known bug. Hasn't been sorted out as of yet. Mine does it as well

• Informative x 1
  10. Tangible

Tangible Member

Amazing that they let these annoying bugs persist across releases. Maybe they should pull some engineers off the doodle pad Easter egg project to address these long-standing issues.

• Like x 2
  11. PeterHG

PeterHG Member

I also had a finicky roof. Problem was solved in 20 minutes with a firmware update at service center. I didn't get a full explanation of why the problem didn't get corrected with the normal software updates.

• Informative x 1
  12. BestRadar

BestRadar Member

X 2 mine does it also... It wont open unless I close it even though its already closed. My side mirrors also do not open all the way so I have to either leave them open or push them open because they get stuck 1/2 way. I also get wind noise which is also frustrating but I guess what do you expect for a $100k car :(