Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pano Roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There have been a ton of posts on this topic. From those posts, I'd say the consensus has been in line with my experience and that is that the pano doesn't increase the temp in the car by a significant amount over a standard roof. Folks from AZ and FL have chimed in with similar responses, but others have tinted the heck out of it to reduce the heat more. You can always use the app to cool things down before going to the car if you wanted to...

I tossed and turned on Pano, no Pano. After test drive I got it--opens up inside of car. It was 102 at 2PM and didn't feel the heat coming in at all--my other two cards have Pano roofs and I could never leave them open without sunshade.

As others have said, it does also give head room. Personally I'd get it--for $2500 it's a no brainer, and really looks cool too :smile:

Thank you for your feedback guys. I am also considering resale value if and when I do sell the car, whether this will impact its price at that time. May be going overboard thinking about this when I haven't even ordered the car, but I like planning ahead. What do you guys think on whether this would impact resale 5-6 yrs later?

Thank you for your feedback guys. I am also considering resale value if and when I do sell the car, whether this will impact its price at that time. May be going overboard thinking about this when I haven't even ordered the car, but I like planning ahead. What do you guys think on whether this would impact resale 5-6 yrs later?

Resale was a long term reason for me to order. Think most probably have, so it will help resale IMHO.

And that is just the first of about a dozen things that you will worry about "should I buy or not"--trust me :wink:

I'm in the process of ordering and considering the pano roof. Tesla claims 81% heat resistance. I wanted to know from members here, does the car get hot w/ the pano roof? Worth it in your opinion?

I live in the Phoenix area and the pano roof is great. I don't feel any heat radiating from it and the light blocking is really something to behold. I'm glad I got it!

It actually can help keep the car cooler when parked, too -- you can leave it in the "vent" position (and control the vent open/closed from the app), so it actually lets heat out when parked. It does radiate a small amount of heat when in strong/hot sunlight, but I've only ever actually noticed it if I hold my hand up near it. I don't notice it if I'm not deliberately checking to see if it's warmer. :)

Rear passengers love it, too -- significantly more headroom, and much lighter/brighter in the back.

I have the pano roof and glad I got it for these reasons:

The extra light it lets in really gives the interior a more spacious feeling.
The extra headroom for passengers in the back.
The pano roof when open is a great way to experience scenic routes; very similar to being in a convertible.
The exterior of the car looks more sleek and athletic with the contrasting dark color of the pano roof against the main body color.

The only time I notice radiated heat is when the sun is directly overhead. I feel it on my arm's bare skin, definitely not enough to forgo all the positives listed above.

The pano roof when open is a great way to experience scenic routes; very similar to being in a convertible.
The exterior of the car looks more sleek and athletic with the contrasting dark color of the pano roof against the main body color.

The only time I notice radiated heat is when the sun is directly overhead. I feel it on my arm's bare skin, definitely not enough to forgo all the positives listed above.
100% Ditto. Could not have said it better.

I'm perfectly happy without the pano. It's a personal preference. With the tan seats, and given how large the interior is, it's plenty spacious for me. Headroom is nice but not critical given that I rarely have full size adults in back. I rarely opened my sunroof on my previous car and don't miss doing so in the S. I decided on the black roof because I do like the contrast it provides. Plus it saved me (at the time) $1,500 on my car. The only two reasons I considered it were the rack mount points and resale. But I keep my cars 10+ years so it won't make a huge difference when the time comes.

I agree with everything Tommy said including the bit about being glad I got it. I would order it again. That being said, the creaking noise that I have with it would drive many crazy and for that reason alone this is a personal preference. The noise seems to get worse with heat and with these 100 degree days it's pretty constant. I took it in to the service center last Spring to get it addressed. They put shims in and that fixed the problem for about 2 weeks. I'm pretty good at tuning it out, but if you're the type to obsess about these things and you live in a warm area then it's definitely something to consider.

I agree with everything Tommy said including the bit about being glad I got it. I would order it again. That being said, the creaking noise that I have with it would drive many crazy and for that reason alone this is a personal preference. The noise seems to get worse with heat and with these 100 degree days it's pretty constant. I took it in to the service center last Spring to get it addressed. They put shims in and that fixed the problem for about 2 weeks. I'm pretty good at tuning it out, but if you're the type to obsess about these things and you live in a warm area then it's definitely something to consider.

Steve

If it were me, I'd leave it with Tesla until they fix it. It should not make any noise.

Steve

If it were me, I'd leave it with Tesla until they fix it. It should not make any noise.

180 pages of posts on the topic here: Panoramic Roof Creaking Noise. Several people have brought it in many times. Some have left it with Tesla for weeks. Everyone's response varies and for some people it has been fixed, but for many the problem invariably comes back. I have no doubt Tesla is working on the issue, but right now there seems to be no solution that works consistently in all cases and stays working over time.

180 pages of posts on the topic here: Panoramic Roof Creaking Noise. Several people have brought it in many times. Some have left it with Tesla for weeks. Everyone's response varies and for some people it has been fixed, but for many the problem invariably comes back. I have no doubt Tesla is working on the issue, but right now there seems to be no solution that works consistently in all cases and stays working over time.

Yep, I've seen all of the posts, just thought it was fixed on the new ones coming from factory now.

Wonder if it's to late to change to no Pano on my order LOL!

I thought I read that Tesla came out w/ a fix for this already?

- - - Updated - - -

Great point Tommy. I never thought about the extra head room in the rear, so this would be a + and allowing more light to come in would be quite nice as well. I was in at the factory today and you are absolutely right. When the pano roof is open I do get a very nice open feel and can see myself taking those nice road trips w/ the roof open.

The extra headroom was probably the most important for me. Without the pano roof, the headroom in the rear seats can be a problem for those of average height or above. I am 5'10" and found that in the rear seat my head would graze the top. We purchased the pano and are very happy with it. And yes, we have noticed some creaking but it has been been very limited. When I take the car in for tire rotation I will ask them to look at it; it is not a significant detractor to cause me to make a special trip to the SC.