TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Pano roof

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by pchanez, Feb 16, 2015.

1. pchanez

pchanez New Member

Is the pano roof really noisier ? I will exchange my P85 with standard roof for a P85D and I don't know if the pano is a good idea or not

2. sickfox

sickfox Member

I love my Pano roof. In my experience, it's not noisy at all.

3. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

The only time mine is noisy is when it is open. I love it and would get it again in a heartbeat.

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

It's a real life-saver in the summer because you can open it a bit when parked and the car stays at ambient temperature rather than baking temperature.

5. Woland

Woland Member

I don't have a non-Pano Tesla to compare it against, but I don't notice any noise from the Panoramic roof while closed.

I do have a question about it though, if someone could enlighten me...

I just opened mine for the first time this weekend and this was the first time I saw the bar / mechanism that rises to stretch out a bit of a fabric "shield," apparently to dampen wind noise. That bar bounced around a lot even at 25 MPH, so I was a bit scared to keep the roof open at highway speeds. Is that bar supposed to bounce up and down significantly in the wind, or is mine defective somehow?

Thanks.

6. smsprague

smsprague Member

It's great. The only time I hear noise is when its open. It does a nice job of buffeting the wind when open. The solar tint works great even in the Tucson, AZ heat.

7. DavidB

DavidB Aug 2013 S85

#7 DavidB, Feb 16, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
    Yes, at highway speeds the pano roof is noisier. This is not from air leaks or anything--it is just because that large expanse of glass acts like a drum and amplifies the wind noise. You can test this for yourself by gently touching the pano glass while cruising on a highway. You will feel the glass vibrating.

If you get the pano roof sunshades & add sound deadening materials between the glass & the sunshade, that noise will be lessened dramatically. This will also block almost all the light.
    http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s/products/model-s-panoramic-roof-sunshades

8. Ugliest1

Ugliest1 S85: "Sparky"

Well, if yours is defective then so is mine. But I don't think it's defective. Every few months I also try to wash/scrape off any crud that collects on the fabric.

9. DavidB

DavidB Aug 2013 S85

Hard to say--it is designed to flex in turbulent air--that is part of how it deflects the wind. What you are seeing might be normal or defective, depending on how much flexing is occurring. While parked take a closer look and check.

10. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I haven't noticed any extra noise coming from the top of the car when closed. All I ever hear is tire noise from my 21's. I also have not noticed any sort of vibration or shaking from the fabric wind deflector. As a matter of fact, just today I was driving with it open at moderate speeds, perhaps 45-50, and pulled the deflector down to see what the difference was with interior buffeting. Practically no difference, unlike every other car I have had. My only regret is that I can't enjoy it as much as my rear seat passengers because I'm up front driving. I love the airy feel it gives.