Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panoramic roof at freeway speeds.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I recently noticed that the car doesn't like to activate the panoramic roof above certain speeds. I've yet to narrow down exactly where the cutoff is, but when I try to open OR close the roof at around the 70MPH mark, the vehicle won't comply and will tell me that "The operation you have selected is unavailable at this speed" (or something to that effect, that's not verbatim).
Edit: I should note this occurs even if im just "venting" the roof at 12%.

This brings up a few questions, especially since I can't find anything about this in the owners manual...

1. What is the actual speed limitation here?

2. What is the purpose of this speed limitation?

3. Am I causing any damage by having the roof open when accelerating to and/or traveling at these speeds?

TIA!

Last edited:
Seems like an awfully odd limitation to me. I have noticed that when it is cold that the pano shudders when opening and closing. I'll have to try the speed thing and see what happens. I do know that I have vented at 70MPH or more with no issue.

The venting aspect may be at a higher speed. Not completely sure on that, as it's only happened once as opposed to quite often when attempting to open/close wider positions at freeway speeds.

The only time I have the pano open while moving is when I'm stuck in traffic and it's less than 20 mph--even then it's only open to 20%. I really can't see why anyone would open the pano when going faster, noise and UV being what they are.

The only time I have the pano open while moving is when I'm stuck in traffic and it's less than 20 mph--even then it's only open to 20%. I really can't see why anyone would open the pano when going faster, noise and UV being what they are.

While I appreciate the Steve Jobs-esque "you're holding it wrong" reply, it's somewhat irrelevant to the question at hand (pun intended).

...I'm also assuming you've never been a convertible kind of guy.

Last edited:
I have had this happen, too. It's a real pain when you're all of a sudden on the freeway and can't close it if it gets noisy. I get the same message you get although agree that's not verbatim, but have only had it once so can't remember exactly.

I now always try to remember to close it before entering the freeway. RIP Steve. :love: You taught us well.

- - - Updated - - -

Must be a SoCal thing. I do this often, as this car is replacing my convertible.

I've owned hard-top convertibles since 2001, and moonroofs in all my other vehicles since around that time. Personally, I NEVER drive at 60+MPH in any of my Lexus, MBZ, BMW, or current Tesla MS with the pano/moonroof open if I'm going to be on the freeway.... it's just too loud, and my Tesla MS is amongst the loudest when the pano is open at higher speeds. OTOH, for shorter jaunts with my convertibles even on the freeway, it can be great when the weather is great driving solo -- just don't expect you're going to carry on any conversation or listen to any tunes along the way.

Me, living here in SoCal? I'd absolutely always go for the Tesla Pano without any question ...just as I was with my former rides for the past 15+ years, I'm selective when the roof is open or not.

Last edited:
I like it for the added headroom. I had an issue when closing the roof at speed that caused the roof not to seal correctly. Dealer said its a known issue, but I don't believe it's to be fixed.

This was my concern as I had to take my car in to have the panoramic roof serviced due to a chattering noise when opening or closing past the 75% mark. Not sure if it's related but the SC stated it was was a known issue. I didn't bring up the freeway driving aspect at the time, however, as it didn't occur to me.