Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panoramic roof creaking noise.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
YES! Someone else has this problem. In my car it's like a clicking type rattle that seems to change with temperature. It's worse when the car is warm. Sometimes it goes away completely for a while. Is this what other people are hearing?

It drives me crazy.

I have exactly the same clicking rattle sound and behavior as you describe. Drives me crazy too. Difference is, I don't have the pano roof. It seems to come from the right side, up on the dashboard. My initial thought was that is must be some static noise coming through the speakers. Hopefully Tesla is already aware of these problems, I haven't reported mine yet.

Mine definitely creaks, but alot of that can be blamed on CalTrans ;-)
Seriously, it creaks like mad when the roof is open (sounds like stresses on the roof), and creaks for a bit after closing, until I hit the next pothole strewn road.

well, I also get that annoying "creaking sound" especially on a hot day. very annoying. took it to the Freemont service center and the tech is looking into it. they're gonna keep it overnight to try to find the cause. he said he has to "cut" out the glass roof to get access. Sounds horrible. hope this doesn't cause a leak later....

will keep you posted.

has anyone gotten their's fixed yet?

Creaking on bumps small or large seems to be coming from the pano roof area on driver's side in the back, no rattling. Will let Tesla service center know.

I had the same thing, clicking or creaking on bumps. But not in hot weather - first noticed it with temps in the 30s. Service guy rode in the back while I drove on a bumpy road and diagnosed it immediately. Was fixed in less than an hour, opening up and using teflon lubricant.

creak adjustment.jpg

Hi,
Took my car in yesterday to get the very annoying click/rattle fixed in the roof. To me the noise sounds like the ends of plastic rubbing against each other. The Teflon lubricant fix sounds reasonable. How long will it last though?

Also in my car, the trim piece on top of the door makes noise when flexed. I hear it when I put my arm up on it.

Michael

I am taking my car in on Monday to have them look at this same kind of creaking. It happens when the car goes over
a rough spot or when the frame flexes somehow, and it seems to be coming from the cross bar behind and above the driver's head.

@MichaelS, what did they do to fix the noise in your car?

@PeterK, Did they say that lubricating whatever they lubricated would be permanent a fix?

I have the same annoying creaking sounds coming from the panoramic roof. Sound is really bad during hot sunny weather. Brought the car to the service center but they did not solve the problem. It was less after the attempted fix but got really bad again couple days later after opening the panoramic roof. I was told that I will get a call once the Tesla engineers have found the solution. Have you gotten your car back? Are the creaking sounds gone?
David

- - - Updated - - -

Aaronw, the questions I just posted was for you. Thanks.
David

The repair report just says lubricated brackets for panoramic roof bar per service bulletin instructions.

Michael

I am taking my car in on Monday to have them look at this same kind of creaking. It happens when the car goes over
a rough spot or when the frame flexes somehow, and it seems to be coming from the cross bar behind and above the driver's head.

@MichaelS, what did they do to fix the noise in your car?

@PeterK, Did they say that lubricating whatever they lubricated would be permanent a fix?

The repair report just says lubricated brackets for panoramic roof bar per service bulletin instructions.

Michael

Thanks. It's interesting that some for some people in this thread the fix is pretty quick while for other people it is taking a couple of days at the shop. Hope
this solves your problem. The service center in Chicago is going to do the same thing (lubricate the brackets) for my car from what I understand.

My car developed the annoying creaking about three weeks after delivery. I talked to Nathan at the Rockville service center and he noted that they could make it stop temporarily but there should be a permanent fix coming. I assume the temporary fix is the Teflon lube mentioned by others. I'll try to be patient with it and monitor this thread for more developments. As the weather gets warmer I figure that I'll hardly notice the noise with the roof open. That is of course until it it gets oppressively hit and I resort to the air conditioning.

UPDATE: I did not hear the creaking today, though it was raining and there was lots of ambient noise that may have masked it. I did vent the pano roof on a prev. excursion and someone else in this thread hypothesized that cycling through opening/closing may allow the moving panel to reseat properly. I'll keep monitoring.

Last edited:
Yep, I picked up my Model S on Tuesday and I noticed that rough roads that flexed the car caused the Plano roof creaking noise that many of your describe. I can't really tell where its coming from since I've always been in the drivers seat but it sounds like perhaps the rear non-movable glass.

My Pano doesn't have the creak when bumpy. But the right side squeals very loudly when going through about 25% on the way to full opening. Is this the same, or a different issue?

It's different. The creak doesn't have anything to do with opening the sunroof. It's a noise you get when you go over any kind of bump or irregularity in the road. I notice it at city driving speeds. I haven't noticed it on the highway.