Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panoramic roof creaking noise.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK ... here's my fix for those squeaks from the pano roof...

I bought this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004B8GTQG/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

The problem area is this seal noted with the yellow areas. It's a very hard seal and you can almost duplicate the sound rubbing your finger across it ....

Cleaned the seal all around the pano roof and applied the product ....

Gave her a nice test ride and got complete silence back.

Cannot speak for how long it will last, but it's much better than making a trip for another temporary fix from the SC .....

Well, the magic german goop didn't work for me. I've since taken the thing apart a couple of times...I now know where the noise is coming from, but it's from what would appear to be the structural brace, which I don't want to touch (nor does it look easy to remove). For those that were wondering, here's some photo's of the other bits that do come out easy:

This is the cover. You'll see the 4 pop-clips running along the center line. to remove the cover, just grasp with 2 hands (one hand each side) and pull down. It removes very easily.

center bow cover.jpg

Next comes the brace that the cover fixes too. There's no way this is structural, since it's held in place by a couple of Phillips screws, and a torx screw in the middle. remove those 3 screws, and the brace can be shimmied out.

alu bow.jpg

Finally, this last picture shows the shims the SC previously fitted. this also still appears to be the source of the noise. I took the car for a drive without the other 2 pieces fitted, and the noise was still there. Pushing in the general area of the end brackets reproduces the noise, though in reality the noise is caused when the car is flexing.

shims.jpg

So, back to the SC it goes, not sure when, I really don't want to mess with a crappy rental car again.

The other interesting thing is that the bulky bits (the removable brace and plastic cover) appear to serve no useful purpose, at this stage, anyway. They're very oversized, presumably for the option of replacing with rollout covers at some point. Either way, it's s shame it's there, seems like an after thought.

Note: if you do decide to remove these pieces, they do have a front and back, even though they appear to be a relatively uniform shape. Be sure to mark the front of each as you remove them.

Thanks for posting the pics. As in my previous post I also took these parts off and then sprayed WD-40 up inside the hollow cross member/bracket that the right hand red arrow ends at. From the right side (and possibly the left) I sprayed without using the straw so it dispersed more. I tried to hit up inside presumably where the glass seals are. After a couple of weeks my creaking is still gone. Word of warning that I suspect the WD-40 dissolves/softens the sealant slightly. Do this at your own risk and careful you do not get any on the headliner!!!!

Well, the magic german goop didn't work for me. I've since taken the thing apart a couple of times...I now know where the noise is coming from, but it's from what would appear to be the structural brace, which I don't want to touch (nor does it look easy to remove). For those that were wondering, here's some photo's of the other bits that do come out easy:

The pictures are really helpful - thanks for posting them.

The SCs should take a few photos like these when they fix something. With smart phones, it wouldn't cost them any extra time to snap a few photos.

I guess I have to report that I have the creaking as well. I thought it was something to do with the sound system but after rereading this thread I'm pretty sure I have the pano creak. I hope they come up with a permanent fix. It's very annoying and somewhat embarrassing when passengers ask what that noise is.

Thanks for posting the pictures. I opened mine last night and sprayed a bit of WD-40. I put it all back together and was disappointed when it didn't fix it.

i drove the car again today and the creak is gone! Must have needed to settle in.

Not sure how long it will last, but for now it is silent!

As i mentioned in another thread, this creaking noise from the roof is almost ruining the car for me. it is CONSTANT. any little tiny indulation in the road (doesn't even have to be a seam or bump) and this thing ticks. it never stops. i am going crazy.

interesting observation though - today it rained for the first time in what seems like forever. creaking noise? GONE. i heard it maybe once or twice on my commute in this morning (as opposed to the usual 758 times). what the hell is that about?

As i mentioned in another thread, this creaking noise from the roof is almost ruining the car for me. it is CONSTANT. any little tiny indulation in the road (doesn't even have to be a seam or bump) and this thing ticks. it never stops. i am going crazy.

interesting observation though - today it rained for the first time in what seems like forever. creaking noise? GONE. i heard it maybe once or twice on my commute in this morning (as opposed to the usual 758 times). what the hell is that about?

The rain probably "lubricated" the parts that are squeaking. I have found that if I just open the roof to the vent position, then re-close it, the noise goes away for a while.

I have the noise as well. Mine sounds like it's coming from the fixed glass panel over the rear seats. Pretty sure it's due to flexing of the car, as others have noted. This is really the only issue that I have. Unfortunately it is bothering the hell out of me and taking away some from my enjoyment of the car. If they get a fix the car will be just about perfect. Since I'm 250 miles from the nearest service center I haven't bothered to call about it yet.

Mine also came back after having shims installed by the service center after a month. Taking it in in two days and they're gonna try again. At least this time they have an MS loaner for me so not as inconvenient as in the past.

I called and said "I have the creaking pano problem". They said, "ok, we know how to fix it, no problem". In went the shims, out went the sound.

i called yesterday and finally got through. they said the same thing basically. that there is a physical "update" put out by corporate that includes putting shims in there.

i have appt next week to fix. no loaner, just a rental car. :-(

I had my car in today for 3 interior noise problems:

1. Pano roof creak. Appears fixed for the moment, but this is the second time they tried to fix it so we'll see if it lasts. It is sooo much more pleasant to drive the car without the roof creaking constantly.

2. Creaking from the passenger A frame pillar. Also appears to be fixed for the moment.

3. Rattle from the driver seat belt fastener. They said they fixed it, but on the drive home it sounded worse than usual. Has anyone succeeded in fixing this rattle?