Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panoramic roof creaking noise.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My roof was creaking really badly even after having the first fix done to it (back in the early part of the year) done to it. I took it back to the Bellevue service center this past week for the annual service and they applied an updated roof fix and it seems to have solved the creak. We received the car back on Wednesday and the roof has been totally silent since.

We're on a long road trip and have been putting a lot of miles on the car over varying road types and temperatures and so far so good. We'll see how long it holds, but it's blissfully silent for now!

A ranger did it for me, but he was very appreciative for a helping hand I provided, mostly holding the flashlight, holding a piece in place, and handing him parts or tools while he was doing the work. It would be difficult for one person to do all by themself.

3rd attempt at SC to get this fix...negative.
I'm going to take the beam apart and try to fix it on my own. Its more of a ticking/cracking noise and not a creak. Driving me nuts.

Not good. I called Costa Mesa service center but was transferred to customer care, and they said the fix works and set up for Costa Mesa to call me and set up an appt time. Sound like various cars it works and some not.

3rd attempt at SC to get this fix...negative.
I'm going to take the beam apart and try to fix it on my own. Its more of a ticking/cracking noise and not a creak. Driving me nuts.

Im throwing it out there again.....

If you look through this thread .... my 2 ticking sounds were caused by:
1. Headliner above center rear seat between pano and hatch. Stuff foam in there ...gone.
2. Pano seal. I used some rubber conditioner (a few times) and ticking there is history.

Steve -

Thanks for the input. I saw your post previously and tried it..but no luck. I had similar issues with my M3 and the seals.
The sound I'm having seems to be coming whether roof open or closed. So the seals when open would not be making the noise. Will try a few more tricks and report back...

I've definitely isolated the noise as Pete had on page 6, by taking off the plastic and metallic bar. I have the updated vinyl shim fix and the ticking is now much worse from the left drivers side. Have no idea what to do next other than maybe spray silicone spray in there...

My roof noise is being repaired for the 3rd time. It has been in the shop for over two weeks now. And Tesla doesn't respond to emails or doesn't call with an update. I have never experienced such complete lack of communication from a car company before. How disappointing.

Hi Jetson - agree and I resolved the lack of communication by getting in touch with regional and ownership. It will be in the shop tomorrow for the 3rd time and I have isolated the noise for them. They applied foam all over the place last time and at least it helps make it more quiet. But the actual problem is still from the metallic support.
They are swamped with service and requests...it's hard to be patient but I know they are doing their best. As long as the problem gets solved, I'm ok with it. Even if it requires a bit of work on our part...

Hey EMDoc, this 3rd repair is still on going. It will be 3 weeks in the shop for this repair alone. The car has now spent over one month in the shop total and I have only owned it for four months. And they can't even return emails or calls?? I am not OK with that. So far, their customer service is worse than the cable company - at least they call you back. But I guess as long as their stock keeps going up they don't care.

Last edited:
Hey Jetson - I spoke with my buddy who dropped off his MS last week and they told him it would take 4 days (been more than 10). He dropped it off at the Santa Monica center. I will be taking mine to the SD center on Monday or Tuesday since at least I was able to demo the noise to the techs yesterday. I found out that the Santa Monica center is going to be expanding and they are really behind at this time. They are trying to deal with a large backlog and they know that service needs major improvement. They are hiring as are most other centers. Even the SD center is progressing nicely.
My car is not completely fixed yet and I expected some of these things with being an early buyer. Hang in there. I do agree that communication (lack of) is such a big deal. Agree with the stock...but I think they do care but are really far behind and scrambling...

Hey EMDoc, this 3rd repair is still on going. It will be 3 weeks in the shop for this repair alone. The car has now spent over one month in the shop total and I have only owned it for four months. And they can't even return emails or calls?? I am not OK with that. So far, their customer service is worse than the cable company. But I guess as long as their stock keeps going up they don't care.

The brother of one of my friends was just hired at the SM Blvd SC yesterday, he was a master technician for Toyota/Lexus before.

I have a lot of minor issues I've been saving up because I know they're backlogged, but at the same time more and more cars are coming out everyday, so not sure when they'll actually catch up...