Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panoramic roof creaking noise.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone noticed creaking from the rear-view mirror support area? I've had the pano roof creak for months and plan to have it addressed when I take to the Rockville SC. However, I've started to hear a similar noise coming from the mirror area that coincides with the pano roof creaks. I can now describe this as a tick-tock sound as the two creaks follow one another.

I had a few issues (including the pano creak) with my MS and called Tesla service. Since I live 150 miles from the closest service center they came and put my car on a flatbed. The list of fixes included pano creak, air leak from side triangle shaped window on drivers door, check lugs on wheels (which they said were tightened to 175nm), rotate the tires, AC compressor sound (which is now louder than it was before it went in) and a ding in the trim around the touch screen (they declined to fix it citing difficulty of reinstalling a new piece, though the car had a ding in the trim when I got it). I also asked if they could try and fix a key that we accidentally left in the laundry ( they stated goodwill replacement, but nothing was included when the car was dropped off today).

The work order stated they did the shim fix for the pano creak, and on my test drive I did not hear a single creak. So, at least for now, it seems to have fixed the problem. They also updated my firmware from 4.4 to 4.5. As I mentioned, they did not replace the trim piece or the key (at least not yet). The side window wind leak is fixed. The car was also washed. All in all I am pleased so far. I do wish they would have replaced the trim, but I can live without it. The key was my fault, so if they end up not replacing it I have no room to complain. The AC noise apparently a known issue as many have said it is common on the MS. I'll update how the pano creak fix is holding up in the next few weeks.

I had a terribly loud pano creak whenever the car flexed over uneven surfaces. Only started happening once temperatures got above 60F. The warmer it was outside the louder the creak got. I took it in for the shim fix 3 weeks ago and it's been totally silent since.

Pano Roof Creak fix!

I had a terribly loud pano creak whenever the car flexed over uneven surfaces. Only started happening once temperatures got above 60F. The warmer it was outside the louder the creak got. I took it in for the shim fix 3 weeks ago and it's been totally silent since.

I found a relatively easy/quick fix. Spray a little Armour All on a soft cloth apply it to the rubber seal around the Pano Roof opening. I did that yesterday, and it's been totally silent since then. Now, let's see how long this fix lasts.....

I was at our SC today dropping off my car (VIN 82xx) for an unrelated matter and was told they are now installing pano roof creaking fixes for all cars with VINs less than about 9800 when the cars come in for service.

I was also told the pano roof was redesigned and higher VINs should not have the problem.

I can't speak for the newer cars, but I've taken mine in for service twice and it still creaks a bit (P6xxx). On both occasions it sounded great after service, but the creak eventually came back. It currently only happens over bigger bumps or twisting motions (like pulling in to a driveway). It's annoying that it still happens, but I can live with it for a bit. I'll take it back for service one of these days, but I'm in no rush.

I was at our SC today dropping off my car (VIN 82xx) for an unrelated matter and was told they are now installing pano roof creaking fixes for all cars with VINs less than about 9800 when the cars come in for service.

I was also told the pano roof was redesigned and higher VINs should not have the problem.

My VIN is 107xx and they're having me bring it in for the fix. I haven't noticed any creaks though.

I've got p4242 and had creaking right away. I didn't find it to be much of an issue as it would only creak on really crappy roads. Fortunately I don't drive on that many of them. I had it in yesterday for a tire rotation and they applied several fixes to the pano roof. I haven't had it on any bad roads yet but will be interested to see if it is now silent.