TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Panoramic Roof Has a Little Mesh Screen

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Owner, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Owner

Owner Active Member

Cross posted on my blog with more pictures.

I made an unexpected discovery today. We have had an unexpectedly dry and warm February, and today on the first of March will hit 70 degrees Fahrenheit. I decided to open the Panoramic roof.

I have noticed two areas of very minor noise in my car. One sounded like a radio buzz that showed up very infrequently the first week but has since subsided completely. The second noise was a wee tiny rattle on the Panoramic roof. I wasn't hearing the noise but decided to feel around for anything loose.

Surprisingly I discovered that the roof has a little screen in the front that comes up when open. When you are driving you can put your hand up there and push the contraption down quite easily.

I am guessing the screen is to keep dirt away from the car? Or perhaps to aid aerodynamics? Not really sure. Anyone know?

panorooffront1500.jpg

2. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

The screen deflects the airflow away from the open sunroof. This helps cut out the wind buffeting " *THUWMP* *THUWMP* *THUWMP* *THUWMP*" sound you get when you open it up to 100% and drive over about 40mph.

This is very common on all sunroofs, to have some sort of wind faring pop up when you open your sunroof.

When driving you can easily push it down, is is spring loaded and the springs are very light. You will hear the buffeting start when you push it down.

3. Owner

Owner Active Member

i have had a lot of sunroofs, but none ever had a faring. why is the mesh not solid?

4. 7racer

7racer Member

Owner, all modern cars have this. I assume the mesh is easier to compress when the moon roof closes.

What Is a Wind Deflector? | eHow.com

for convertibles, they do this with the rear deflectors etc...

- - - Updated - - -

you can get a solid one, but IMO they are ugly.
    http://www.weathertech.com/product-education-center/sunroof-wind-deflector/

5. Owner

Owner Active Member

6. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Really? I don't think I've ever had a sunroof that didn't have one of these pop-up contraptions.

7. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

My semi-educated guess is that the mesh turned out to be beneficial in suppressing unwanted noise and/or keeping a jet stream out of the cabin when the roof's open. Any opening in the enclosure has the potential to turn the entire cabin into an organ pipe that resonates at a very low frequency. As ElSupreme so eloquently put it, "*THUWMP* *THUWMP* *THUWMP* *THUWMP*"

But why mesh rather than a solid, pop-up deflector? Maybe they tried both and the mesh worked better in this instance; maybe it's cheaper to manufacture; maybe it's less prone to jamming during pano roof operation. There are lots of possibilities.

8. ksdprasad

ksdprasad Member

this mesh or sometime plastic wind deflectors are normal these days. budget cars have them.

9. eelton

eelton Member

Just opened my sunroof for the first time today. Major buffeting above 40 miles an hour--very unpleasant unless I opened a rear window. Does anyone else experience this? (I do have that pop-up screen.)

10. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

When going above around 35mph only open your roof to 80%. The is a little index point there. It is for cursing around with the roof open and the windows closed. And even at 80% I get a very little buffeting around 70+ mph. Going to 70% seems to be perfect for any speed.

100% is for windows down and stereo blasting!

11. eelton

eelton Member

Thanks, I'll give it a try.