Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panoramic Roof - No Sun Shade Needed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even though we did not feel much heat come though the pano, we still had 3M Crystalline 70 put on the pano panels. Don't really notice any heat at all now and like being able to look up at the sky without having to remove a sun screen. We also did the front windshield with the 70 (shhh... don't tell anyone :biggrin:) and helps cut down on the heat given the high availability of sun that we have in AZ.

How is your 3M Crystalline 70 holding up, do you still feel that was the right choice? My car is coming in in a few weeks and I'm set to have the same thing done at a shop in the Scottsdale Airpark, they have always done great work for me, including the shhhh.

Model S Panoramic Roof Sunshades

sunshades_2x_1024x1024.jpg

Larry

Same question here, especially since the sunshade is now available: do I need it? The panoramic glass roof seems to reject as much or more heat than PhotoSync (89% has been quoted). Still, compared to a solid roof, it transmits much more heat, does it not? So my options are:

1. Leave pano roof alone. Plus: unobstructed view of sky; minus: 11% heat entry
2. Tint glass with PhotoSync 75 or 65. Plus: cooler; minus: darker view of sky
3. Sunshade. Plus: reduce heat entry when in use, clear view of sky when retracted; minus: cumbersome?

Any early adopter reviews of the Tesla Sunshade would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

David

I've driven my Model S daily in Texas for 2.5 years and have NEVER, not once, had any heat related issues with the pano roof as it comes standard. This is with 100 degree weather daily in the summer.

I replaced my early 2012 P85 with a 2015 P85D and still have the same experience that the pano works great as is. The heat rejection is outstanding.

Same question here, especially since the sunshade is now available: do I need it? The panoramic glass roof seems to reject as much or more heat than PhotoSync (89% has been quoted). Still, compared to a solid roof, it transmits much more heat, does it not? So my options are:

1. Leave pano roof alone. Plus: unobstructed view of sky; minus: 11% heat entry
2. Tint glass with PhotoSync 75 or 65. Plus: cooler; minus: darker view of sky
3. Sunshade. Plus: reduce heat entry when in use, clear view of sky when retracted; minus: cumbersome?

Any early adopter reviews of the Tesla Sunshade would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

David

The sunscreen is to cut down the light when the pano is open. It also keeps bugs out of the car when camping. I wouldn't be without it. It doesn't make much difference from a heat point of view.

I've driven my Model S daily in Texas for 2.5 years and have NEVER, not once, had any heat related issues with the pano roof as it comes standard. This is with 100 degree weather daily in the summer.

I replaced my early 2012 P85 with a 2015 P85D and still have the same experience that the pano works great as is. The heat rejection is outstanding.

Got my first taste of this yesterday, as Wash DC had its first sunny high-90s kinda day since I got my car. Went to the Nats and the car was parked in direct sunlight from 1pm to 5pm. For the drive down and back the car was very comfortable and the AC handled everything. I checked my iphone app right after the last out and it said interior car temp was 113!!! I activated the climate system and vented the roof, and by the time I got to the car (15 min) it was already down to a very reasonable 80* and we got right in and drove off in comfort and style.

My experience with the Pano roof so far is like that of many others - it blocks the heat extremely well on it's own. That said, I opted to have an additional photosync tint applied to the entire roof/back and I can say that it does help even more. I haven't had a chance to test it out in a "full" Austin summer, but we've had a few days in the 90's and I can say definitively that my Tesla is WAY cooler after an afternoon out in the sun that my old SUV which had a solid roof and tinted windows. Granted I also photosynced the rest of the windows as well and those make a huge difference.

Honestly, the vast majority of heat I've noticed coming into the car is from the windshield, even when driving. I had that clear tinted with Solar Gard Ultra Performance and it definitely helps cut down on the heat.