Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panoramic Roof Not Seating Closed - Warped???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have this happen?

Car has 1,500mi. Vented roof today and then it would not close tight agianst the fixed panel. Tons of road noise. Tried fully opening and retracting, still no luck. It appears the moveable panel's radius is different that the fixed panel. As a result - there's a small - approx 1/4" upwards bow on the back of the front panel. Is it possible for the panel to warp or perhaps become dislodged? I guess this car is staying in the garage if there's rain in the forecast.

I didn't see a thread with the same problem but if so, Mod please merge. Thanks

003.JPG
004.JPG

I have the same issue with my pano roof, but thus far it's only a wind noise issue. I haven't had any problems with water getting thru the seal into the cabin. I've got a visit scheduled in 2 weeks to get it taken care of.

In a very odd coincidence, I also have a Black with Tan P85, delivered on 3/1/14, AND i'm in Northern NJ. Not to mention we have the same pano roof issue.

I had wind noise issue, but it happened more when I was closing the pano from vent at high speeds. The service center said that's a known issue and to slow down when closing the vent. I'm guessing it may be different from yours, but if you closed the vent at above 60+, then try opening and closing it again.

I have the same issue with my pano roof, but thus far it's only a wind noise issue. I haven't had any problems with water getting thru the seal into the cabin. I've got a visit scheduled in 2 weeks to get it taken care of.

In a very odd coincidence, I also have a Black with Tan P85, delivered on 3/1/14, AND i'm in Northern NJ. Not to mention we have the same pano roof issue.

Wow - Odd coincidence indeed! Is the gap as large as what I'm showing? I'm nervouse about a sudden downpour.

What SC are you going to - mine is Springfield. I dropped a note to Mike this evening. I'm not keen on waiting two weeks so hopefully it's not a big repair. They give any idea what it might be?

- - - Updated - - -

I had wind noise issue, but it happened more when I was closing the pano from vent at high speeds. The service center said that's a known issue and to slow down when closing the vent. I'm guessing it may be different from yours, but if you closed the vent at above 60+, then try opening and closing it again.

I did close at highway speeds, but also full cycled vent and slide while parked. no luck. Maybe a touch better. Still I've never had an issue with sunroof operations at speed on a bunch of other cars, although this is my first pano roof...Thanks.

This exact same thing happened to me last week (I even took an identical picture), and I nearly flipped my *$#! at some poor Tesla rep about how there's no way this should happen on a car that costs 100k+. Anyway, I was luckily able to fix it myself without having to take her in for service. The problem is that the pano roof latches in the back with three small metal tabs that should slide into a groove on the roof crossmember. The metal tabs have a rubber strip wrapped around them, which I'm guessing had shifted slightly and was causing the middle tab to get stuck, hence the raised center section of the roof. When this happens, you get tremendous wind noise and water would be a problem, too, since I could see right through the gap. By opening the roof only slightly past the vent setting, I was able to see and adjust the rubber wrapping on the middle tab as well as wipe down the latch groove to make sure no debris was stuck there preventing closure. After doing this, my roof closed and sealed perfectly again. Hopefully this is something as easily remedied for you as it was in my case and you can save yourself the hassle of taking it in for service.

I have a relatively early production car. We had a problem similar to this but they replaced some parts and noted the FIX at the factory so I think it odd the problem persists in later production cars. Anyway the fix worked and havent had a problem since last summer.

Wow - Odd coincidence indeed! Is the gap as large as what I'm showing? I'm nervouse about a sudden downpour.

What SC are you going to - mine is Springfield. I dropped a note to Mike this evening. I'm not keen on waiting two weeks so hopefully it's not a big repair. They give any idea what it might be?

I'm also at Springfield, I probably could have gotten a sooner appointment than I did but because it's not really a critical thing for me, being all wind noise and never getting any water, I figured I can let it go for a little while. Everything else with the vehicle is great! Mike takes good care of me for the rare occasion I've had to deal with the SC. The gap isn't quite as large as yours, though, from the pictures. I also likely have an older VIN, I bought mine as an inventory car out of CA and had it shipped east.

This exact same thing happened to me last week (I even took an identical picture), and I nearly flipped my *$#! at some poor Tesla rep about how there's no way this should happen on a car that costs 100k+. Anyway, I was luckily able to fix it myself without having to take her in for service. The problem is that the pano roof latches in the back with three small metal tabs that should slide into a groove on the roof crossmember. The metal tabs have a rubber strip wrapped around them, which I'm guessing had shifted slightly and was causing the middle tab to get stuck, hence the raised center section of the roof. When this happens, you get tremendous wind noise and water would be a problem, too, since I could see right through the gap. By opening the roof only slightly past the vent setting, I was able to see and adjust the rubber wrapping on the middle tab as well as wipe down the latch groove to make sure no debris was stuck there preventing closure. After doing this, my roof closed and sealed perfectly again. Hopefully this is something as easily remedied for you as it was in my case and you can save yourself the hassle of taking it in for service.

Thanks v3lzie. Spoke with the SC and they told me the problem was likely in the seal, like you suggested. I could not find the tabs but I opened the roof entirely, pushed the seals on the roof and the cross member towards their seats. Then closed the roof and it was fine. The SC told me they think the factory glue used is not strong enough, especially while activating the roof at speed. So they are going to super glue it and I'm getting the Under Armor done at the same time. Still though - that needs to be permanently fixed for operation on the highway.

Lots of issues with the Pano roof. Mine now has a weird gap in the weather stripping on one side where you can see the tracks and wheels, and stutters disturbingly when it opens in the heat. Tesla said not to worry about it, though. Even so, I have to say I'm slightly worried how well they'll hold up as they age.

When I had similar issues, Tesla said mine was defective and they just sent a Tech from Seattle to Replace all my Roof components. I will be done Friday morning so it should be a non-issue very soon.
Lots of issues with the Pano roof. Mine now has a weird gap in the weather stripping on one side where you can see the tracks and wheels, and stutters disturbingly when it opens in the heat. Tesla said not to worry about it, though. Even so, I have to say I'm slightly worried how well they'll hold up as they age.

Well going to revive This Thread back from the dead:). Panoramic roof issues aren't over yet mine quit working completely! Fortunately it's closed. But it is not closed properly but at least I can drive the car until I can get it to the service center. Early production 2012, Vin # 162

Update this morning the panoramic roof worked just fine interesting? 2018.6.1 seems a little glitchy on my car. Some of the anomalies I've noticed occuring much more frequently since the install have been door handles that intermittently fail to present, the cruise control losing its preset speed requiring a manual reset while driving if disengaged for any reason. Panoramic roof non responsive.