TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Panoramic roof owners

Discussion in 'Model S' started by mattack4000, Aug 20, 2018.

1. mattack4000

mattack4000 Member

How do you guys deal with the heat. I have a loaner S with the panoramic roof. It's freaking hot. When I drove for 2 hours, I started getting dehydrated. Do you guys all get tints for your windows?

2. twonius

twonius Member

I've been fine without it but it's never really over 95 close to the coast. Still considering getting tints to cut down a bit on heat though.

Inland you could probably get one of the Tesla sunshades to cut down on the irradiance a bit more.

3. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

I've had the all-glass roof in the CA Central Valley for two sweltering summers now and have never noticed significant heat intrusion from the roof. I've ceramic tinted the rears and sides, but felt no need to add additional film to the roof. Tesla makes a sunshade, if it bothers you that would probably be my first attempt at a solution.

• Like x 1
  4. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

never noticed any such issue, and i live in the south. trying turning up (lower the temperature) the a/c. i keep mine on 68 and no complaints.

• Like x 1
  5. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I have the sun shades from tesla and then aim the ac vents up and it doesn’t bother me
    Definitely hotter than my other model s was without the pano roof
    But not by much

6. shrink

shrink Supporting Member

I personally don't use any additional tint, but sun shades are an absolute MUST with a pano roof (at least in my climate). They help a lot.

7. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

There’s already factory tint. It is insufficient.

I had Photosync 35 added on top of it - mostly to cut glare but also heat, yeah.

The difference was immediately noticeable. I’d do it again.

Before I finally got around to doing that, I went low tech and wore a baseball cap when the sun’s angle was particularly onerous.

By the way, this was in a coastal location that never got above 88F this summer.

8. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

Move to the Pacific Northwest. That will solve your problem and you'll actually get a lot of use out of it, except when it rains.

9. Tes La Ferrari

It’s amazing. I actually passed on 2 model s’s That I was looking at for the sole reason that they didn’t have the pano roof.

I prefer it to the sunroof as it is much cleaner looking inside too

• Like x 1
  10. dark cloud

dark cloud Member

11. GWord

GWord Member

Located on Houston and went from a Model S metal roof to a panoramic one. Haven't really noticed a material impact to interior heat levels honestly.

• Like x 1
  12. Bridor

Bridor Member

110 degree weather here in Maricopa, Arizona. The previous owner must have tinted the panoramic roof because I can feel no heat coming through the glass...

Brent

13. cytranic

cytranic Member

South Florida, non issue.

14. mattack4000

mattack4000 Member

Got back in my own car with the tints, feels so much nicer. AC actually not working super hard either

15. Maximilien

Maximilien Member

I am used to it and it is not bad as most UV lights are blocked anyway. I can't imagine going back to metal top due to the beauty of the glass roof.

16. Matutino

Matutino Member

Never had any issues nor noticed a difference in between my MS and MX

17. Beardco

Beardco Member

We just made a trip all the way down the California coast. Temperature was often over 100F and up to 110. We never noticed any heat coming through the glass. The glass itself heats up but doesn't seem to dissipate through the 100% UV layer.

Now the side and back windows were a very different story.

18. f205v

f205v Member

Southern Europe here.
    I got my Model S last October, so we were going into winter and I had no problem with heat from the panoroof.
    Then came spring and at the end of April the heat from the panoroof was already noticeable. I late june it was unbeareable and I ordered Tesla's sunshades. They REALLY make the difference, and I higly recommend them.

19. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

Tesla sun screens.

20. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Member

I installed large dash board shields up there for summer. I got tired of the heat from the roof. I also keep whit towel on dash. It keeps inside of dash cool and ac works much better
    I have a big great Pyrenees puppy who rides , he needs cool car.