Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panoramic Roof & Ride Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, another couple of questions from a (potential) new MYP owner. I recently asked about 'run-flat' tyres and received good advice so here's another couple of things that are of potential concern. Now, we are a one car, one motor bike, one motor scooter and one golf buggy couple and due to our 'old' age, this purchase will likely be our last vehicle so we don't want to make any mistakes. Our currently drive is a 2018 E class Benz.

1) My wife dislikes the sun and heat of our 'much smaller' pano roof on the Benz so what is the feeling about the 'very large' pano roof of the Y? We live on the Sunshine Coast in QLD. I'm not too keen on the roof shade option as they appear 'fiddley'. I was contemplating getting 'tint-a-car' to do a dark tint on the glass. Has anyone tried that or is it really necessary?

2) Just how harsh is the ride quality of the MYP? It seems some say it's okay and others hate it. It's a shame Tesla don't provide any tyre/wheel options for the MYP because the very low profile tyres on the P must make it worse. Opinions please.
Thanks guys,
Tony

The roof comes tinted from factory

And you're unlikely to get any first hand opinions on the MYP ride quality here as Tesla hasn't delivered any in Australia yet.
There's plenty of opinions on the main (USA centric) part of this forum, but their cars are built in different factories so may not reflect what we end up with.

Reactions: Power Hungry
There's plenty of opinions on the main (USA centric) part of this forum, but their cars are built in different factories so may not reflect what we end up with.
Thanks, I understand the roof comes tinted from the factory but so is the pano roof in the Benz and my wife closes it every time she gets into the car. Hmmm!

And yes, that's where I've been reading on the harsh ride but apparently the German built Y's are softer so I was hoping to get the Shanghai experience. I didn't realise there weren't any delivered in Australia.

I can only comment on the roof shades. I don't find the "fiddlyness" to be an issue, because I only have to mess with the shades twice a year: once in spring when it's starting to warm up, and once in autumn when it's cooling down. Perhaps on the Sunshine Coast you could even just leave them in the whole time if you wanted.
Thanks. I've only seen them on Youtube and they look a bit fiddly but I note your point. Where are you located? Is the glass roof a heat and glare problem where you are?

I was hoping to get the Shanghai experience
UK reviews seem positive, so far, eg this one

Quality wise, from everything I read online I was expecting stiff suspension and build quality issues. Lucky enough I haven’t experienced any of these, build quality seems decent enough and I haven’t found any scuffs or panel gaps. Everything works well. Ride comfort is decent and considering it’s tuned for performance it’s not overly stiff at all. Ive had BMW’s which much stiffer suspension in the past. Happy on that front as I was quite worried about the ride comfort having only test-drove a non performance.

Hi guys, another couple of questions from a (potential) new MYP owner. I recently asked about 'run-flat' tyres and received good advice so here's another couple of things that are of potential concern. Now, we are a one car, one motor bike, one motor scooter and one golf buggy couple and due to our 'old' age, this purchase will likely be our last vehicle so we don't want to make any mistakes. Our currently drive is a 2018 E class Benz.

1) My wife dislikes the sun and heat of our 'much smaller' pano roof on the Benz so what is the feeling about the 'very large' pano roof of the Y? We live on the Sunshine Coast in QLD. I'm not too keen on the roof shade option as they appear 'fiddley'. I was contemplating getting 'tint-a-car' to do a dark tint on the glass. Has anyone tried that or is it really necessary?

2) Just how harsh is the ride quality of the MYP? It seems some say it's okay and others hate it. It's a shame Tesla don't provide any tyre/wheel options for the MYP because the very low profile tyres on the P must make it worse. Opinions please.
Thanks guys,
Tony
Ill keep this simple and straight to the point so you’re under no illusions, if you want comfortable suspension and refinement stick with a Mercedes, if you want performance, energy efficiency and the best charging system by a country mile buy a Tesla. Sorry if I appear harsh but I’m not going to feed you BS.

Honestly, if Tesla offer a standard steel roof option that saved me money, I'd take it, I do find it hot. You can just get the roof shade which pretty much solves the problem. I realise Tesla doesn't do a steel roof to simplify production, but they should have a motorised blind like every other manufacturer seems to be able to acheive, and then mkae that standard.

The roof heat topic normally stirs a passionate debate, however sitting in my car with the A/C watching YouTube whilst it charged in the Melbourne heatwave recently had me stumble upon an interesting test. Touching the top of the front passenger seat's head rest and then the seat's under thigh support, it's noticeably hotter to touch. If she doesn't like the sunroof in the Mercedes, then order the roof shade accessory and simply leave it in there.

With regards to ride, I've chosen both of my Tesla's based on which ones had the smallest wheels. I hate a firm ride and I'd rate the MY RWD acceptable but firm. I've test driven a GLC with run flats and steel springs and found that too harsh, however my WRX rides better than my MY.

Ill keep this simple and straight to the point so you’re under no illusions, if you want comfortable suspension and refinement stick with a Mercedes, if you want performance, energy efficiency and the best charging system by a country mile buy a Tesla. Sorry if I appear harsh but I’m not going to feed you BS.
Yes I would have to agree with this.
You are literally going from a comfy lounge chair to the chair of nails.
Why not get a model X. Still will have to navigate the glass roof though and drain the bank account a bit more but hopefully the refresh will be here by the end of the year.

The roof heat topic normally stirs a passionate debate, however sitting in my car with the A/C watching YouTube whilst it charged in the Melbourne heatwave recently had me stumble upon an interesting test. Touching the top of the front passenger seat's head rest and then the seat's under thigh support, it's noticeably hotter to touch. If she doesn't like the sunroof in the Mercedes, then order the roof shade accessory and simply leave it in there.

With regards to ride, I've chosen both of my Tesla's based on which ones had the smallest wheels. I hate a firm ride and I'd rate the MY RWD acceptable but firm. I've test driven a GLC with run flats and steel springs and found that too harsh, however my WRX rides better than my MY.
Thanks. We can feel the heat through the sunroof in our Benz and it's 1/3 size of MY from what I see. My wife is paranoid about skin cancer (we've both had many) and it's more that than the heat I think. I'm wondering that adding a tint-a-car tint might not completely eliminate the issue whilst still retaining some of the airiness of the cabin.

I'm a bit of a tech bloke and I'd love a Tesla because it seems to me to be great software with a car attached LOL.

Reactions: Benzz
Yes I would have to agree with this.
You are literally going from a comfy lounge chair to the chair of nails.
Why not get a model X. Still will have to navigate the glass roof though and drain the bank account a bit more but hopefully the refresh will be here by the end of the year.
Thanks, we run 20" alloys on the Benz with run-flat Pirelli's and it's not a problem except for road noise on those rough bitumen roads.

I did think about buying an X but a friend ordered one about 18 months ago and optioned up an X comes in at around $250K. She has just been informed to not expect delivery before 2024. She's going to order the BMW EV SUV I think. The other thing is, for that sort of dosh you can buy some serious wheels.

Thanks. I've only seen them on Youtube and they look a bit fiddly but I note your point. Where are you located? Is the glass roof a heat and glare problem where you are?
I am in Canberra, where we have both hot summers and cold winters. I think the roof shades definitely make a difference when the sun is beating down, and here it's nice to have them off in winter.

Did you ever consider another layer of tint?
No - it's actually nice being able to look out of it every now and then (mostly why I take the shades off in winter really!). I also don't think further tinting would make it any cooler - it already has an IR-blocking coating so the remaining heat is mostly from the glass itself heating up, which a tint isn't going to change.

I hear you loud and clear. If the decision was mine alone it would be easy. I love the tech and the performance but underwhelmed by the looks. The problem is we're a one car family and those things are of little importance to my wife.

The other bonus is that all my mates are 'climate skeptics' and reckon anyone with Tesla are 'woke'. I'd love to stick it to them LOL.