Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panoramic Roof & Ride Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hear you loud and clear. If the decision was mine alone it would be easy. I love the tech and the performance but underwhelmed by the looks. The problem is we're a one car family and those things are of little importance to my wife.

The other bonus is that all my mates are 'climate skeptics' and reckon anyone with Tesla are 'woke'. I'd love to stick it to them LOL.
‘Climate’ seems to put blinkers on a lot of people. I tell them I have bought a tesla for the incredible convenience, tech, cost savings, and simplicity. The whole climate thing seems to generate some very upset responses. I do the same with solar panels. I tell people I bought them just to save money. Curiously I’ve converted a lot of people to make better climate choices with this approach

Ok regarding the ride comfort - But you were warned...haha. Seriously you might be ok but there is zero chance I would as I reckon the model 3 with standard 18" at 36 psi is bearable. Not sure if the Merc E had air suspension but the Y certainly doesn't.

In regard to the glass. I am in Sydney, have a model 3 2022 and use the front sunshade since summer commenced down here.
It is a dual model with the cloth and a 'metalized' coated 2nd insert.
After installing I could still feel a little heat, so I added a 'metalized bubble wrap' that I have previously used for some roof insulation.
This made the heat coming through bearable under all circumstances now.
On the opposite end in winter the glass roof adds to the cabin comfort and is a definite plus.

I think with the Y the use of a sunshade is a little more of a hassle as the glass roof doesn't have the cross member like the 3 so you either have full coverage or none at all.

You could always get one of these for the model Y - just pay someone to install it. Not too sure how much heat it would stop but at least no direct sun.
Note in USD.

Reactions: Power Hungry
Ok regarding the ride comfort - But you were warned...haha. Seriously you might be ok but there is zero chance I would as I reckon the model 3 with standard 18" at 36 psi is bearable. Not sure if the Merc E had air suspension but the Y certainly doesn't.

In regard to the glass. I am in Sydney, have a model 3 2022 and use the front sunshade since summer commenced down here.
It is a dual model with the cloth and a 'metalized' coated 2nd insert.
After installing I could still feel a little heat, so I added a 'metalized bubble wrap' that I have previously used for some roof insulation.
This made the heat coming through bearable under all circumstances now.
On the opposite end in winter the glass roof adds to the cabin comfort and is a definite plus.

I think with the Y the use of a sunshade is a little more of a hassle as the glass roof doesn't have the cross member like the 3 so you either have full coverage or none at all.

You could always get one of these for the model Y - just pay someone to install it. Not too sure how much heat it would stop but at least no direct sun.
Note in USD.
Thanks, your reply makes a lot of sense. I'll check the sunshade out.

‘Climate’ seems to put blinkers on a lot of people. I tell them I have bought a tesla for the incredible convenience, tech, cost savings, and simplicity. The whole climate thing seems to generate some very upset responses. I do the same with solar panels. I tell people I bought them just to save money. Curiously I’ve converted a lot of people to make better climate choices with this approach
Obviously you're much less confrontational than me. I'm proud to admit that I'm considering a Tesla based on doing our little bit for the environment. I agree though, so many people (especially in my age group) are super conservative and believe they know more than any climate scientist.

I've got a 2022 M3LR and I'm on the Sunshine Coast. I did get extra tinting done (to whatever is legal max) and I don't bother with a shade. When driving my wife and I don't notice the heat at all. It can get warm when coming back after parking for a while, but I try to remember to keep the aircon on to keep it cool. Sometimes forget, so the aircon works a bit harder then when we get in. :)

Maybe you should hire a MY RWD for a week and see how the glass roof fits in with your personal tastes? If you get one that has the 20 inch wheels it will be most similar to the ride of the MYP.

There is a retractable sunshade that might take the fiddle out if you wish to have something you can leave open and the wife can close? It's not cheap but it might help sway the decision.

I've got a 2022 M3LR and I'm on the Sunshine Coast. I did get extra tinting done (to whatever is legal max) and I don't bother with a shade. When driving my wife and I don't notice the heat at all. It can get warm when coming back after parking for a while, but I try to remember to keep the aircon on to keep it cool. Sometimes forget, so the aircon works a bit harder then when we get in. :)
That's just what I was hoping to hear. Thanks.

Maybe you should hire a MY RWD for a week and see how the glass roof fits in with your personal tastes? If you get one that has the 20 inch wheels it will be most similar to the ride of the MYP.

There is a retractable sunshade that might take the fiddle out if you wish to have something you can leave open and the wife can close? It's not cheap but it might help sway the decision.
Thanks for that. Yes I've seen that sunscreen but I think I'll try tinting like the other bloke from the Sunshine Coast said on this thread. He said it works well.

I'd love to hire your MY for a week. It's a long way to deliver it though from Perth LOL.

Honestly, if Tesla offer a standard steel roof option that saved me money, I'd take it, I do find it hot. You can just get the roof shade which pretty much solves the problem. I realise Tesla doesn't do a steel roof to simplify production, but they should have a motorised blind like every other manufacturer seems to be able to acheive, and then mkae that standard.
@Zoltrix77 the pre April 2016 model S had a steel roof as standard with Glass roof with opening sunroof as a $3000 option, back in 2013/14 before the Australian order page was open their was plenty of opportunity to read about model S issues in the USA, the biggest ones were broken door handles, 21 inch rims and leaking sunroofs. I chose the boring steel roof.

Reactions: Zoltrix77
Thanks. We can feel the heat through the sunroof in our Benz and it's 1/3 size of MY from what I see. My wife is paranoid about skin cancer (we've both had many) and it's more that than the heat I think. I'm wondering that adding a tint-a-car tint might not completely eliminate the issue whilst still retaining some of the airiness of the cabin.

I'm a bit of a tech bloke and I'd love a Tesla because it seems to me to be great software with a car attached LOL.
I suggest you either but or rent a good quality UV meter. You will find the UV through the roof of the Tesla is approx zero.

Reactions: Hungry Mile
@Zoltrix77 the pre April 2016 model S had a steel roof as standard with Glass roof with opening sunroof as a $3000 option, back in 2013/14 before the Australian order page was open their was plenty of opportunity to read about model S issues in the USA, the biggest ones were broken door handles, 21 inch rims and leaking sunroofs. I chose the boring steel roof.

Yes, ive been following the Tesla train for that long too. Like I said, I'd still choose the boring steel roof too As a totally irrelevant side note, minus sunroof option on many performance cars are desirable as they get old, eg, Porsche 911, BMW M3 etc. Yet all nearly all new buyers pay for the option... ironic.

Reactions: Maximillan
The other bonus is that all my mates are 'climate skeptics' and reckon anyone with Tesla are 'woke'. I'd love to stick it to them LOL.

Which just proves they don’t even know what the word ‘woke’ means 🤣

20 years ago, the Toyota Prius was called the “Pious” by the equivalent of climate sceptics back then, the implication being that people bought them just to superficially show off their “environmental credentials” to others, while not really living their life in a truly sustainable way, and therefore those people were complete hypocrites.

No-one would call a Prius a “Pious” these days, indeed they are seen as part of the problem of sustaining fossil fuel use. And Toyota is bagged for actively lobbying behind the scenes against tighter vehicle emissions controls worldwide, and arguing battery EVs are not the way to go, while pushing the hydrogen fantasy.

Plus ça change…

I know they do it to simplify production, however it seems absurd to not have a factory fitted shade installed.
It started with the model s. The glass roof on it is so heavily coated that you struggle to see out. Its heat blocking properties are exceptional, but it might as well be solid. Then model 3 came along so tesla decided to repeat the concept but to save some dollars significantly reduced the coating quality.

The glass roof is just dumb. It’s much hotter than even a black steel roof. I have tinted mine with ceramic film and I don’t think it helps much, if at all. The shade does help. I would much rather have a steel roof.
Yep, steel roof would be better but have to say just got our second M3LR and I was blown away by how hot it is compared to our first which I had tinted with Ultragard Genesis 25. I’d forgotten how effective it was. We also had the windows done in Genesis 40 and that helps tremendously as well, can’t wait to get the latest edition done as well.
Jeremy from Kiwi Tint on the coast here was fantastic, did a truly professional job with the best tint on the market, I think!

Last edited: