TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Panoramic roof vent open in rain?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by ThosEM, Jun 25, 2014.

1. ThosEM

ThosEM Space Weatherman

Has anyone tried leaving their roof vented in the rain, intentionally or unintentionally? I'm curious how well it deflects rain. There appears to be a gutter around the window that would seem able to transport most rainfall away to drains, except in an intense downpour. Eventually I'm bound to leave it in that state during a Tstorm, but so far have not. Anyone know from experience what to expect when we do that?

Thanks!

2. Zextraterrestrial

mine was just open and it is raining. It has been raining harder with it cracked and it seems pretty good. the rear crack is pretty narrow for splash water to get in.

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Left mine open today as well. When driving droplets seem to make their way inside, but seemed OK when sitting still. Of course, if it really started to come down and/or the wind began blowing the rain sideways, you could have an issue

4. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

Makes me wonder why they don't use the rain sensors to automatically close the roof if it detects rain. Maybe for version 7.0? :)

5. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Just did it accidentally and we had a downpour. The inside was fairly droplet covered in a line across the seats and center arm rest. I think it was droplets hitting the roof and the side splatter coming in.

6. tliving

tliving Member

If you're talking about parked, I leave mine vent during the summer and just use visibletesla or the app to close it if I see rain starting. Couldn't do that with any of my other cars!