Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panoramic sunroof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use sticher app on iphone over A2DP in my roadster. Its a great way to listen to news. I start it on way into work and restart on way home. This way you start from beginning, pause where you left off and finish when you want. You don't just drop into news stories as they are broadcast. Also, if memorable you can backup and replay. I listen to WSJ and NPR but I do see Fox news is available.

I use sticher app on iphone over A2DP in my roadster. Its a great way to listen to news. I start it on way into work and restart on way home. This way you start from beginning, pause where you left off and finish when you want. You don't just drop into news stories as they are broadcast. Also, if memorable you can backup and replay. I listen to WSJ and NPR but I do see Fox news is available.

Downloaded it. Still no Foxnews simulcast. I guess I will just become a liberal (not). Not really a deal breaker. Just will miss my XM-Sirius.

That's my issue. I listen to satellite radio news and talk programs all day right now. However, I have zero interest in a sun roof. I have one now and have never opened it. Is there a solution to this?
Get better taste? :tongue: Seriously, Internet streams, you can find way more interesting (and more accurate, and more detailed, and more topic-specific) news. Though Internet service may be spotty while driving, so you might have to download stuff in advance. I gave up on all television news about 8 years ago and all radio news about 6 years ago; no matter the topic, you can always find more information on the Internet. Often as recorded streaming audio, oddly.

#2 I will check to see if I can get my news programs online
If the people producing them have any market sense whatsoever, you will be able to. If they don't, well....

I keep going back and forth on the panoramic roof. I guess I'll have to sit in it first to make a decision. I hope they offer test drives of both versions prior to this summer.

I too find myself going back and forth on the panoramic roof but after seeing the Model S over the weekend in South FLA. I would go with the panoramic roof and have the roof tinted with a 17% film to even further cut down the exposure from the sun.

Last edited:
AoiGflYCEAAk0IR.jpg:large

Twitter

Installation of a panoramic roof

I asked today about shades/blinds for the pano roof. These will not be available immediately but are apparently an easy retro-fit. That said, I was assured that the reflective powers of the glass roof are much better than I imagine.

Last edited:
I asked today about shades/blinds for the pano roof. These will not be available immediately but will but are apparently an easy retro-fit. That said, I was assured that the reflective powers of the glass roof are much better than I imagine.

Ouch. This is not good, I will lose some serious points with the spending regulator (wife) over this. She really wants those shades, it was part of the deal for justifying the pano roof.

"easy retrofit" I'm sure will mutate into "extra-cost retrofit." *sigh*.

If satellite radio is indeed available without the pano roof now (is this confirmed?), I suppose I could save a few $ and go with the plain roof, but I'm looking forward to the "airy" feel of the pano roof.

Then again, I'm not sure I can remember the last time I actually _opened_ the sunroof in my car. I open and close the shade all the time. I can't think of a specific reason why I don't use it more often, and I wonder how often I'll actually open the sunroof in the Model S.

/Mitch.

It is confirmed (by GeorgeB). I might suggest riding in one first (if possible) though. From all the chatter it seems like the pano roof really will block a lot of UV (almost to the point of not being useful to gaze out of?)

Same situation here, Mitch. I've always had sunroofs in my cars but, almost never open them. I do open and close the shades in my wife's Mini Clubman (which practically has a very similar but not so panoramic double-pane sunroof that the Model S will have) depending on how sunny it is and if I'm looking for a bit of extra natural light on an overcast day.

At the end of it all, I couldn't justify going for the pano roof and am opting for the black roof instead.

Yes, it is confirmed that you can get satellite radio (if you get the sound system package) without the pano roof.

If satellite radio is indeed available without the pano roof now (is this confirmed?), I suppose I could save a few $ and go with the plain roof, but I'm looking forward to the "airy" feel of the pano roof.

Yep, that was confirmed on Its time to build your Model S | Blog | Tesla Motors

Another item that has received attention is Satellite Radio being available only with our all-glass Panoramic Roof. We did this because we really dislike how a "shark fin" antenna on the roof detracts from the beautiful lines of Model S. With a Panoramic Roof we can install the antenna under the glass which means it doesn't need to protrude above the roof line. We found a solution that allows us to offer Satellite Radio, without the shark fin, on all cars that choose the Sound Studio option.

Something to consider in addition to whether or not one would open the panoramic roof and how much light/UV/heat it transmits is that it reportedly adds some extra rear seat headroom which is relatively tight even with it. IMHO the only two significant points against Model S for the average buyer are tight rear seat headroom and lack of concealed storage space in reach of the driver. The panoramic roof mitigates the former to some extent for $1500.

Re rear-seat headroom: the "binding constraint" in the rear isn't solved by the pano roof. If a long-waisted person sits in the back and rests comfortably in the seat (i.e., isn't hunched forward), his head will likely touch the rear cross-member that (I was told) holds the mechanicals for the rear hatch. The pano roof didn't solve this issue and might possibly contribute to it -- we'll have to see when a no-pano version is finally rolled out. (Note that every beta so far has a pano roof.) If you hunch forward a bit, the pano roof does open up extra headroom in the rear, but I think hunching forward will solve the problem with a standard roof, too, unless you transport NBA players.

No one has seen the sunscreen, so we don't know, but from first principles the sunscreen must reduce headroom when it's in use, and (because it has to go somewhere when not deployed) has to use up some space somewhere even when it's furled. If that "somewhere" is the center rib across the ceiling, then it shouldn't impair anyone's headroom.

What effect does the suncreen have on rear seat headroom? I would guess it might be less than with no sunscreen, perhaps less than with no pano roof.

My understanding is that you've gained a small amount of headroom with the pano roof - my assumption is that the sunshade would put you back at the same headroom as an installed headliner. But I don't know that. Just an assumption.

My understanding is that you've gained a small amount of headroom with the pano roof - my assumption is that the sunshade would put you back at the same headroom as an installed headliner. But I don't know that. Just an assumption.

Sounds about right to me. I'm 6' and sat in the back comfortably, a friend of mine who is 6' 2" sat in without it bothering him. For someone over that height it might become annoying, but how often does anyone take 6'4" passengers in the rear seats?

Ouch. This is not good, I will lose some serious points with the spending regulator (wife) over this. She really wants those shades, it was part of the deal for justifying the pano roof.

"easy retrofit" I'm sure will mutate into "extra-cost retrofit." *sigh*.

Then again, I'm not sure I can remember the last time I actually _opened_ the sunroof in my car. I open and close the shade all the time. I can't think of a specific reason why I don't use it more often, and I wonder how often I'll actually open the sunroof in the Model S.

/Mitch.
While its easy to imagine that the pano roof's shades would become an "extra-cost retrofit," the "Options and Pricing" page reports that "Manusl Sunshades and wind buffet arm are included. "