Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panoramic vs standard roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't listen to oktane, he is the anti-Mikey, he hates everything.

I like my pano roof but the glass roof was not offered when I bought mine. It would be a tough tossup now as the glass roof is awesome. I live in the south and I don't really feel like either one adds any extra heat over the old solid roof version that is not available anymore.

• Funny
Reactions: RayW
I live in Minnesota so the pano roof wouldn’t get much use from me, so I bought with the standard glass roof. After being in cars with pano, I’ve concluded that I love my roof a lot more compared to the pano. It’s more sleek looking and less noise at speed.

When I purchased my S, I loaned 2 cars with the different version of the roof. The glass roof looked a lot slicker from back seat, though you probably wont be seating much, if at all. But also, I found in the past that whenever I had the pano / sun roofs on cars, I rarely use it. So I ultimately went with the standard glass version.

Reactions: PrGrPa
I went back-and-forth on this one a lot and in the end decided for the panoramic sunroof because I do open my sunroof occasionally and on those warm summer evenings when you feel like feeling the breeze it’s just awesome

That said, if the solid roof was still available I would have ordered that. I don’t like the idea of not being able to close some kind of sunshade and being exposed to the sun while I’m driving, no matter how deep the tint.

For me the all glass roof felt a little bit odd, almost claustrophobic. I know that sounds weird but the fact that you couldn’t open it really bothered me

Glass roof any day. The head space is much improved both in the front seat and back seats. I'm 6'2 and I can't sit in the back with pano roof without leaning my head, but with glass roof there is enough space. In the front seat I hit my head in the side of the roof liner even if the seat is at it's lowest position, with glass roof there is space available and it feels much more roomy.

The glass roof is also more forward so the glass starts "earlier" and you can enjoy the panoramic view even from the front seat due to the extra glass compared to the pano.

Third it has proven to leak much less cold air into the cabin from the roof and also quieter and easier to wash the roof.

Only negatives with glass roof is that you can't have roof racks and of course not open it.

• Informative
Reactions: Jack Tripper
Glass roof any day. The head space is much improved both in the front seat and back seats. I'm 6'2 and I can't sit in the back with pano roof without leaning my head, but with glass roof there is enough space. In the front seat I hit my head in the side of the roof liner even if the seat is at it's lowest position, with glass roof there is space available and it feels much more roomy.

The glass roof is also more forward so the glass starts "earlier" and you can enjoy the panoramic view even from the front seat due to the extra glass compared to the pano.

Third it has proven to leak much less cold air into the cabin from the roof and also quieter and easier to wash the roof.

Only negatives with glass roof is that you can't have roof racks and of course not open it.
If it would have been available when I bought my Model S, I would have probably ordered it with the glass roof over the pano roof.

Another viewpoint. I ordered my 2013 S85 with the solid color roof (sort of a unicorn). My wife and I are not fans of an openable roof (like a pano). My wife's 2015 S70D is 'triple black' (see sig below), so the interior would likely have been kind of dark and claustrophobic. Thus we got the only available option--pano roof (vs. solid roof). Now you can get glass or pano (but not solid roof). And we would select glass non-operable roof.

I've got the glass roof on my car, and my wife's has the Pano. I'm 6.5" and have never had any headroom issues in either car. I prefer being able to open the roof and don't think the cross bar significantly detracts from it. I dunno that its worth the $2k though.

Don't listen to oktane, he is the anti-Mikey, he hates everything.

I like my pano roof but the glass roof was not offered when I bought mine. It would be a tough tossup now as the glass roof is awesome. I live in the south and I don't really feel like either one adds any extra heat over the old solid roof version that is not available anymore.

Uhh didn’t you basically admit that I was right a few posts down? I’ve opened my sunroof exactly zero times except accidentally via the thumbwheel while I cursed it out, damn useless sunroof.

• Funny
Reactions: Duffer