Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Papafox's Daily TSLA Trading Charts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
feb23chart.jpg

TSLA chart above

feb23qqq.jpg

QQQ chart above

With an attack underway in Ukraine now, the pacing of this dip as it heads for its bottom is accelerating. Let's briefly talk about Wednesday's trading before stepping back for a broader look.

On Wednesday, TSLA lost 7%, a 2.7X multiplier to the 2.57% dip of the NASDAQ. The increased realization that a Ukraine attack was indeed imminent prompted the selloff. A 2.7X multiplier for TSLA vs. NASDAQ is indeed extreme. ARKK was down less than 4% on Wednesday, and so the high growth tech stock aspect of TSLA could not explain the full dip.

I look at the news of legal challenges to Tesla's water use in Brandenburg as being more FUD than solid news, and I appreciate Alex Voigt chiming in. I don't think they played a very big role in Wednesday's dip.

TMC's @generalenthu posted this message on TMC's main investor's thread on Wednesday. The point is that TSLA is experiencing a negative gamma squeeze as market makers continue to delta-hedge new and existing puts during the selloff. This delta-hedge selling is the reason we see TSLA and QQQ continuing to dip in after hours trading as market makers scramble to find delta neutrality.

What @generalenthu says makes sense, and yet it is not a full explanation. We've seen near max FUD in recent weeks as those hedge funds and big shorts betting against TSLA call in favors from their media friends in an effort to accelerate the dip. We've seen spoofing and other manipulations to maximize the dips and cap the recoveries. All of the negativity from FUD and manipulations was then multiplied by the gamma squeeze component that @generalenthu refers to. Those entities which have been betting against TSLA through puts or shorting will soon need to cover to take gains or get caught up in a likely strong recovery.

Regarding the Ukraine situation, as Russian troops move aggressively into Ukraine, the outcome of their action is likely not in significant question by the market because of Russia's immensely superior war machine. One likely result would be for Russia to quickly defeat the Ukrainian military and then install a Russia-friendly leader. The other question would be how the West's sanctions would impact U.S. and world economies. The speed at which the military action is moving suggests it's possible that the bottoming out of the market reaction could be moving quickly as well. I'll be doing some buying on Thursday.

Please forgive my myopic focus on the market reactions to this tragic event, but that is what's appropriate for this forum. I do feel badly for the Ukrainian people.

Another voice one needs to listen to with these low prices for TSLA is @StarFoxisDown! Check out this TMC post about P/E compression to understand why the current price of TSLA is nuts when you consider what earnings are going to do this year.

Thursday is going to be ugly but also a buying opportunity. Markets can turn around quicker than you expect, so stay on your toes.

feb23treas.jpg

10 yr treasury bond yields remained below 2% of Wednesday

feb23maxp.jpg

Max pain is down to 860 now. That number only becomes relevant if the market makes a big turnaround.

feb23tech.jpg

The combination of macros plus FUD plus manipulations and especially plus negative gamma squeeze made for the strong dip well below 800 on Wednesday.

Conditions:
* Dow down 465 (1.38%)
* NASDAQ down 344 (2.57%)
* SPY down 8 (1.77%)
* TSLA 764.04, down 57.49 (7.00%)
* TSLA volume 31.3M shares
* Oil 93.18
* IV 67.3, 85%
* Max Pain 860
* Percent of TSLA selling tagged to shorts: 45%

feb24chart.jpg

TSLA chart above

feb24qqq.jpg

QQQ chart above

What a day. TSLA descended to $700 for the open and ended at $800. Although the Dow's gains were minimal (0.28%), the NASDAQ closed up 3.34%. TSLA's gains of 4.81% were pretty tame compared to ARKK's 7.8%, and NVIDIA's 6% climbs.

How to explain the relative weakness? QQQ departed its weaving of the red/green line about 1:30pm while TSLA didn't leave this behavior until about an hour later. You can also see flat trading of TSLA between about 2:30pm and 3:00pm when QQQ was climbing. Some purposeful capping might be the explanation, but another possibility might have been market makers were behind in their delta-hedge selling from Wednesday's trading (notice that TSLA continued to descend in after-hours trading on Wednesday) and the market makers may have been working to get delta-neutral. If that's the case, they would have had to start buying aggressively later in the afternoon to stay delta-neutral, which might have happened.

The best news about Thursday's trading was the massive volume of 44.9M shares. Combine this volume with a $100 gain during the day and you have a potential bottom being marked. I say potential because the fog of war can lead to lumpy trading as Putin's plans beyond Ukraine are not known, nor are the full extent of the sanctions that will be applied. Because we've seen a significant recent increase in short interest, one clue to the bottom definitely being in will be the shorts closing positions to take profits, which should propel TSLA relatively higher than other typical high growth tech companies when it happens.

I did a measured add to my portfolio by selling 5 40-strike (they were 200-strike when I bought them) June 22 calls and then bought 7 300-strike Jan23 calls (which I can later free-roll to 2024). The 300s only carried about $15 time value. Net gain was 2 call contracts and a little cash.

I'd just like to say that my call options are rather conservative plays both because of the small time value I pay for them and because I have long been successful in rolling them forward at no expense on volatile trading days. There's lots that can go wrong when the economy has inflation that requires many interest rate hikes and a world situation where Russia is attacking neighbor countries. If I didn't trade from a tax-free account I'd be buying deep in the money 2024 leaps (that I could afford to exercise and avoid the tax hit) or buying shares. I also keep a couple years of living cash on hand so that I never have to sell low because I need the money. I cringe when I hear of readers of these posts buying large quantities of at the money leaps and then panicking when the stock price falls substantially or selling shares to buy calls that expire later this year. You always need to consider your plan if things don't go as you expect.

News:
* A news story that initially started with Reuters says that Tesla will start building another factory in Shanghai as early as next month and that the two factories together should be able to produce 2 million vehicles per year.
* Teslarati reports that the EPA will be testing Austin Model Ys
* CNBC reports that Judge Nathan denied Elon's request to bring the SEC to court, requiring more specific information or steps taken. Further, the SEC is looking into Kimbal Musk's sale of TSLA a day before Elon's Tweet that asked if he should sell 10% of his TSLA shares

feb24treas.jpg

10 year treasury bond yields remained below 2% on Thursday

feb24maxp.jpg

Max pain on Thursday was 830. With the big run higher to 800, max pain may well be in play, depending on what happens with macros. The big call walls right now are at 850 and 900, which might suggest some market maker efforts were made to soften TSLA's climb.

feb24tech.jpg

Notice the $100 candle on Thursday that dwarfed other recent candles and brought TSLA back above the lower bollinger band.

Conditions:
* Dow up 92 (0.28%)
* NASDAQ up 436 (3.34%)
* SPY up 6 (1.50%)
* TSLA 800.77, up 36.73 (4.81%)
* TSLA volume 44.9M shares
* Oil 94.59
* IV 62.9, 68%
* Max Pain 830
* Percent of TSLA selling tagged to shorts: 40%

feb25chartpre.JPG

TSLA chart above

feb25qqqpre.JPG

QQQ chart above

Friday's trading left TSLA (up 1.14%) lagging behind most other high tech stocks (ARKK up 3.35%, NVDA up 1.72% and AMZN up 1.61%). It also lagged behind the NASDAQ (up 1.64%). How best to explain its close at 809.87 then? It just so happened that max pain was 810.00, a mere 13 cents away. Hmm.

One theoretical headwind for TSLA on Friday was news that the SEC was looking into a possible insider trading charge against Elon and Kimbal Musk because Kimbal sold over $100 million of TSLA a day before Elon's Tweet poll asking whether he should sell 10% of his shares. CNBC, normally no friend to Elon, nonetheless published a story that strongly suggests the Musks have little to worry about. CNBC spoke with a subject expert who said that the law has to do with information about the company, not about Elon's personal decision to sell stock. Nonetheless, the story listed a chronology of events that further dilutes reasons for any charges. On Oct 29 Elon appeared in an interview with Kara Swisher in which he stated that his options expiring Aug of 2022 would be taken before year's end and he would have to sell shares to pay his taxes (about 53%). Thus, the coming sale of shares within the coming two months was public knowledge. Looks like a big nothingburger moving forward.

Looking at the week's trading, the first half was seriously negative as it became clear that Putin was going forward with his plan to attack Ukraine. Thursday we saw a big dip to 700 but then a big bounce up to 800 as investors figured that TSLA may have bottomed out with news that the war had begun. Friday we should have seen more of a climb but someone wanted TSLA to close at max pain.

Looking forward, I expect lumpy trading for a while. It's a shame that Saturday wasn't a trading day because the strong showing by Ukrainian military and vows of support internationally would likely have yielded more climbing. Bad days for the Ukrainians could likely be met with some negative stock action as an emotional response to the underdog. Sanctions so far have not likely upset the market, but we shall see. Caution is advised because the trajectory and scope of this conflict is still undetermined.

News:
* The SEC is proposing mandatory reporting for short sellers who possess short positions over certain thresholds. Those companies or individuals would then be required to file rather detailed reports that lists short positions on a daily basis. I say Bravo! because it would become easier to connect a specific short-seller with a specific observed event.
* Elon Musk on Saturday Tweeted that SpaceX Starlink internet is now active for Ukraine and that many more terminals are en route to Ukraine. This gesture shows the humanitarian side of Elon, which is important when the FUD is flowing thick. Reliable high-speed internet for Ukrainians is a huge plus. So much of this war is being presented across the world on social media, and reliable internet will be needed as the battle rages and other sources potentially disappear. Putin is likely to be more constrained in how he executes the war if the horrible reality is shared with the world, especially with Russians and decision makers who could put more pressure on Putin for a resolution to the hostilities.

feb25treas.jpg

10 yr. treasury bond yields have been flirting with 2% recently but fortunately closed below that mark on Friday.

feb25maxp.jpg

Max pain for the first Friday of March is 825.

feb25maxpwk.jpg

Although the max pain lagged this week's price dip, the climb on Friday was able to be tempered enough to get within 13 cents of max pain.

feb25tech.jpg

The lower bollinger band provided enough support to keep the stock price from dipping below, and max pain apparently resulted in the closing price.

For the week, TSLA closed at 809.87, down 47.11 from the previous Friday's 856.98. Be kind to yourself this weekend and find some stress relief.

Conditions:
* Dow up 835 (2.51%)
* NASDAQ up 221 (1.64%)
* SPY up 9 (2.21%)
* TSLA 809.87, up 9.10 (1.14%)
* TSLA volume 25.3M shares
* Oil 91.59
* IV 60.0, 58%
* Max Pain 810
* Percent of TSLA selling tagged to shorts: 48%

Last edited:
feb28chart.jpg

TSLA chart above

feb28qqq.jpg

QQQ chart above

Congratulations TSLA longs on gaining 7.45% on Monday. That's a nice rise, especially when the Dow closed down and the NASDAQ rose only 0.41%. Volume of TSLA was a high 32.2 million shares.

The mainstream business media will typically look at the top two or three Tesla-related stories, throw a dart, and then name the one that was responsible for TSLA's climb. In Monday's case, they settled on a rumored opening of the Berlin gigafactory in March as the reason for the climb. Actually, Rob Maurer gives a more detailed update on Berlin, showing how a German newspaper is saying permission to operate should be coming Thursday or Friday of this week. Nonetheless, I have other ideas on what started Monday's rally.

Monday's big move fit the pattern of big up days for TSLA so often coming out of nowhere. We did see a huge 100 pt. turnaround of the stock on Thursday and then some additional icing on the cake on Friday, Still, few expected Monday to be a big day because of the international situation. One must not forget that Mondays are often the big day for TSLA, though. I think part of the reason for big Mondays is that if a move takes place at the beginning of the week, the market makers have the rest of the week to scramble and attempt to avoid losses by Friday. Lots of traders will place call bets for TSLA this week, and if the MMs can hold the stock back enough, those bets will expire out of the money and the market makers can drive back to their weekend homes in the Hamptons to recover.

What was the catalyst that got the stock running Monday morning? One possible catalyst could have actually been Elon Musk's humanitarian gesture of turning SpaceX's Starlink network on for Ukraine and then pledging terminals. With the whole world focused on Ukraine at the moment, the arrival of essential internet for Ukraine was well received. I personally had friends and family members contacting me to say how cool this was. Keep in mind there are lots of catalysts coming our way with Berlin and Austin both close to opening and Q1 is now 2/3rds over. Whatever the catalyst, though, once the rise started so strongly there was no putting TSLA back in the bottle. The stock had just been artificially pushed down and held down too long.
feb28starlink.jpg

Starlink terminals have arrived in Ukraine

Resistance to the climb was evident. @viridi in this post talked about the significant spoofing he was witnessing Monday morning. Over 60% of trades on the ticker involved shorting (see diagram below). Finally, at 4pm during the closing cross more than 2.9 million shares traded hands in that single minute. The $60 climb came despite a serious effort to prevent it.

News:
* Ever wonder what it'd be like if Sandy Monroe was given an alien UFO to disassemble and we got to listen in as he discovered the secrets of this advanced craft made by aliens? No need to wonder any more, just check out Sandy's video of tearing into a Model S plaid motor and see him be truly amazed, or take in this Solving the Money Problem summary of that video. If you ever doubted that Tesla was pulling away from the competition, this video will open your eyes.

feb28short.jpg

More than 60% of TSLA transactions on the ticker involved at least one instance of short-selling on Monday.

feb28treas.jpg

A dip in 10 yr treasury bond yields to below 1.85% on Monday was good news for investors in growth stocks

feb28maxp.jpg

The max pain for Monday is listed as 825 and we're already at $870. Check out that call mountain that TSLA took out at 850 and the enormous call wall at $900. You can bet that MMs and hedgies will try to keep TSLA below 900 this week. OTOH, traders may buy call options now that TSLA appears to be in a strong bounce from its bottom, and the delta-hedge buying of shares by market makers will promote more climbing.

feb28tech.jpg

Hard to believe that TSLA opened at 700 Thursday morning and has already run up to 870 on Monday. TSLA has climbed back into the 850 to 920 range it had been trading in for most of February, prior to the big dip.

Conditions:
* Dow down 166 (0.49%)
* NASDAQ up 57 (0.41%)
* SPY down 1 (0.26%)
* TSLA 870.43, up 60.56 (7.48%)
* TSLA volume 32.2M shares
* Oil 95.90
* IV 60.2, 59%
* Max Pain 825
* Percent of TSLA selling tagged to shorts: 62%

mar1chart.jpg

TSLA chart above

mar1qqq.jpg

QQQ chart above

Tuesday was a down day for the macros with the NASDAQ indicating a dip of greater than 2% before a recovery shortly before close. TSLA's dip of 0.7% was less than half the NASDAQ's eventual dip of 1.59%. Volume was on the high side of moderate at 24.7 million shares traded. This type of trading relative to the NASDAQ shows that TSLA's strength continues this week.

This strength of TSLA is particularly notable given the level of attempted manipulations. The graph below shows a second day of 66% of selling tagged "short". As a reminder to those of you who are new to this methodology, in each group of transactions that displays on a ticker if any of them involve short selling the group is marked as "short". Thus, there's a built-in exaggeration to the number, but it is still a very useful number because it is showing that short selling is up considerably in the past two days. I find Tesla's strength on days with heavy shorting to be bullish because it then leads you to wonder how much better TSLA would have traded if not for the effort to prevent a climb.

Clearly there's enough buying taking place to compensate for the efforts to push TSLA lower. Take a look at the TSLA chart and you can see that the whole day was a series of pushdowns and recoveries with an elevated dip coinciding with QQQ's late afternoon dip and recovery. I find it bullish that the hedge funds could not maintain the dip into close for the necessary 5 or 6 minutes. Such has not been the case in similar circumstances on other days.

Keep in mind that it's a profitable manipulation to short as a stock is dipping into close and then to cover the short during the closing cross at 4:00pm. As with Monday, we saw lots of volume at 4:00pm, 462K. Unfortunately for anyone shorting into TSLA's close, TSLA recovered nicely in the minutes leading up to end of market trading.

We have a winner for this week's steaming dog poop award. The honors go to the once reputable The Atlantic in this article. There was a time when The Atlantic was known for excellent writing and commentary, which makes its descent into the clickbait cesspool all the more regrettable. The article suggests that Elon Musk's offer of Starlink connectivity to Ukraine was just a big PR move to make Elon look good and will offer no real help to the people of Ukraine. The author suggests internet signals must first be sent to a ground station that is susceptible to attack before they can be sent to a satellite. The author apparently failed to understand why Elon was sending satellite dishes to Ukraine. The author criticized Musk because all Ukraine internet users cannot simply select "Starlink" as their provider and enjoy internet. The truth is that this war involves social media, which is stirring up the world's population and leading to pressure on governments to offer significant military supplies to Ukraine. A few dozen satellite internet users can upload the most moving photos and videos to social media and make a huge difference in the world's response to the invasion. For its lack of scientific understanding plus corrosive intent to damage Musk's reputation, this article is truly a worthy example of why the steaming dog poop award was created.

News:
* In this Tesla Daily video by Rob Maurer, we learn that February Tesla domestic sales in February were approx. 28,000. This number does not include exports. Rob says his source has been surprisingly accurate in the past.
* President Biden once again snubbed Tesla in the SOTU address, and Elon responded quickly with this Tweet to remind the POTUS that Tesla's investments in EVs is more than double what Ford and GM together are proposing

mar1shortvo.jpg

For the second day in a row, percent of TSLA stock ticker groupings containing at least one instance of short-selling weighed in at 66%, suggesting a high level of manipulations.

mar1treas.jpg

10 year treasury bond yields fell further on Tuesday, down to less than 1.75%

mar1maxp.jpg

Max pain jumped $20 on Tuesday to 845, which is right at the point where puts dominate below and calls dominate above

mar1tech.jpg

Taking a look at recent trading, TSLA spent only 4 days below the red 200 day moving average before popping back above.

Conditions:
* Dow down 598 (1.76%)
* NASDAQ down 219 (1.59%)
* SPY down 7 (1.52%)
* TSLA 864.37, down 6.06 (0.70%)
* TSLA volume 24.7M shares
* Oil 106.39
* IV 64.0, 73%
* Max Pain 845
* Percent of TSLA selling tagged to shorts: 62%

mar2chart.jpg

TSLA chart above

mar2qqq.jpg

QQQ chart above

Wednesday was the day market makers tried its hardest to derail TSLA's climb. When the Fed announced that the March interest rate hike would be only 0.25%, the market breathed a sigh of relief and thus the rally. Meanwhile, TSLA volume was 24.4 millions, about the same as Tuesday's, but the NASDAQ and QQQ were climbing and a major effort was made to clip TSLA's wings. There simply wasn't any news out there to justify TSLA's weakness in the morning vs. NASDAQ, and the trajectory of the stock was way out of whack with the broader market (compare the two charts above).

Notice the bottom of the dips was near 845, which was very close to max pain of 850. After the 11am rise of QQQ the index kept rising slowly until just before close. The manipulators were able to keep TSLA from rallying until about 2pm when the game of whack the mole finally was defeated and TSLA climbed into the green. That climb was very restrained until about 3pm when the macro continued climb was finally too much and the manipulators lost control of TSLA's share price. We've seen this dynamic play out many times before.

@Sancho offers an interesting perspective in this TMC post. Sancho suggests that what we may be seeing is a concerted effort against Cathie Wood's ARKK. I see that as a possibility because of all the stocks that are hated on Wall Street, Cathie's ETFs are at or near the top since they made funds that mirror the S&P500 look lame for years in a row. TSLA is one of the very largest holdings of ARKK and so it makes sense for TSLA to be battered today along with ARKK. Non-ARKK tech stocks such as NVDA (up 3.2%) and AAPL (up 2.1%) were not feeling the heat that ARKK stocks were. Hmm.

News:
* In this Tweet, Gary Black shows that Tesla has just received full regulatory approval of the Berlin factory. A full statement will be made Friday in Germany.
* Elon tweeted that he invites the UAW to come in and hold a union election at Fremont. In another tweet he points out that Tesla vehicle factory workers are the highest paid in the industry. I think he's very confident that his employees will say no and through this tweet he can squash criticism that he has done everything he can to prevent the UAW from attempting to organize his employees. One of the advantages of a low stock price at the moment is that it gives employees incentive to earn their options and enjoy a big payoff later when the stock price recovers.

mar2shortv.jpg

For the third day in a row, percent of selling tagged to shorts was 66% (slightly different on another company's chart). This high level of short-selling reinforces the idea of manipulations underway. Volume is falling off since Big Monday and the manipulations should get a bit easier as the week progresses.

mar2treas.jpg

Ten year treasury bond yields rose to 1.9% on Wednesday.

mar2maxp.jpg

Max pain was listed as 850. Take a look at the 850 strike and the calls have receded to the point where they're about even with the puts. Thus 850 is not a big deal if TSLA closes above it. Instead, 890 and especially 900 are the prices the market makers will attempt to defend this week.

mar2tech.jpg

TSLA closed above the mid-bollinger band on Wednesday, only the second time it has done so since the first half of January.

Conditions:
* Dow up 596 (1.79%)
* NASDAQ up 220 (1.62%)
* SPY up 8 (1.84%)
* TSLA 879.89, up 15.52 (1.80%)
* TSLA volume 24.4M shares
* Oil 110.8
* IV 58.4, 52%
* Max Pain 850
* Percent of TSLA selling tagged to shorts: 63%

mar3chart.jpg

TSLA chart above

mar3qqq.jpg

QQQ chart above

We live in interesting times. With so much market emotion stirred up due to interest rate hikes and the Ukrainian situation, we have an environment well suited for short-selling manipulations. On Thursday the Dow was down less than 0.3% but the NASDAQ produced a loss of 1.56%. TSLA's loss of 4.61% was a 3X multiplier of the NASDAQ, which is excessive in normal times and especially recently. Let's look at two different aspects of TSLA's dip, the first focusing on a comparison of TSLA trading on Thursday vs. Wednesday, relative to the NASDAQ and QQQ. Then let's look at the possibility that TSLA was caught in a bigger short-selling strategy on Thursday.

On Wednesday, QQQ dipped into the red briefly during morning hours and then recovered. TSLA showed an exaggerated version of the QQQ dip and then basically disconnected from QQQ for the next few hours. Unfortunately for the TSLA manipulators, QQQ continued to rise throughout the day. That rising macro pressure eventually caused the manipulators to lose control over TSLA's price and it ran quickly upwards into close, closing somewhat higher than the NASDAQ's. I've seen this scenario play out multiple times where a strong afternoon macro performance could allow TSLA to break free of the capping and climb to where the market would have priced it otherwise.

On Thursday, we saw a morning macro dip again and TSLA following that dip in exaggerated fashion. Unlike Wednesday, though, the NASDAQ failed to climb in the afternoon and instead fell. Notice how QQQ (above) rose from about 11am until 1pm and then remained relatively steady through 2:30pm. In contrast, TSLA was capped so as to remain relatively flat until 2:30pm and then descend at an accelerated multiple of the NASDAQ (and QQQ). All the TSLA capping of Thursday mid-day paid off for the pirates when the market turned lower, but those same efforts were lost on Wednesday when macros turned higher and TSLA quickly shrugged off manipulation.

My point is that what the macros do in the afternoon can make or break the manipulation strategy. On Wednesday the strategy broke (big time) and on Thursday it worked as planned.

ARK Attack
Another way of looking at who might have been putting short-selling pressure on TSLA this Thursday is to consider TSLA not the target of a coordinated short attack but instead as just one element of a larger attack. In this post TMC's @Sancho ponders whether we've been seeing an attack on ARKK this week. Since TSLA is the largest holding in the firm's ARKK ETF (and at least one other ETF as well), shorting TSLA was a requirement for achieving the larger objective, which was to short the components of ARK Invest in a major effort which out of necessity would require multiple parties in the short-selling and general manipulations.

Why short all of ARK Invest's holdings simultaneously? Cathie Wood has recently been known to reallocate resources so as to buy the holdings which have been pushed down the hardest (undeservedly). To tie Cathie's hands, the raiders attack all the holdings simultaneously to prevent her from having one or two stocks that are outperforming the market from which she can draw funds. A coordinated short attack on this many large components of the NASDAQ could actually start the index heading down, which may actually have enhanced the effort of pushing the target stocks lower on Thursday. Fact or fantasy? Let's take a look at Thursday's trading of two ARK Invest funds, ARKK (which includes TSLA) and ARKG (the genomics fund).

mar3arkattack.jpg

Personally, I'd say that @Sancho is onto something with this theory. ARK fund stocks are down significantly more than the NASDAQ, which was down a "mere" 1.56% on Thursday. The day's biggest losers weren't necessary high growth companies (NVDA was down only about 2%) but the ARK connection does look to be the lightning rod that drew the shorting and other manipulations on Thursday.

Overall, I'd say to keep an eye toward the ARK attack this week and don't assume that the downward pressure goes away now that TSLA is below Friday's max pain number.

News:
* The big ceremony at Gigafactory Berlin happens on Friday at 3:30pm Berlin time, which is 11:30am New York time. Good news will be the awarding of permit, at long last. Potential bad news could be news on the water lawsuit filed by pseudo-environmentalists.

mar3shortv.jpg

Every day this week so far has been 66% of selling tagged to shorts. Translation: lots of manipulations.

mar3treas.jpg

10 yr treasury bond yields rose on Thursday but thankfully closed around 1.9%, which shouldn't upset Wall Street.

mar3maxp.jpg

Max pain for Thursday was 850. Puts now dominate 850 and so the market makers probably would prefer a close slightly above 850. They may not be the biggest sharks in the sea this week, however. Just look now at all the low-strike puts and too-high-strike calls that will likely expire worthless on Friday. This week, despite the big Monday rally, should turn out to be a big money maker for the market makers.

mar3tech.jpg

TSLA fell from the mid-bollinger band to the 200 day moving average as TSLA felt the heat from yet another day of manipulative pressures.

Conditions:
* Dow down 97 (0.29%)
* NASDAQ down 214 (1.56%)
* SPY down 2 (0.50%)
* TSLA 839.29, down 40.60 (4.61%)
* TSLA volume 20.3M shares
* Oil 107.7
* IV 61.8, 66%
* Max Pain 850
* Percent of TSLA selling tagged to shorts: 61%

Last edited:
mar4chart - Copy.jpg

TSLA chart above

mar4qqq - Copy.jpg

QQQ chart above

On Friday TSLA (down 0.12%) outperformed the NASDAQ (down 1.66%) with volume 22.3M shares. Moreover, auto stocks were way down on Friday and @ZachF did a nice job in this post of laying out the losses. Looks like the sector was down nearly 5%, which emphasizes TSLA's relative strength.

The shorting war against ARK Invest ETFs appeared to still be ongoing with ARKK and ARKG both down more than 4%. TSLA had seen percent of selling tagged to shorts numbers well above 60% for all days of this week except for Friday when they dipped to 53% (note that shortvolume.com and shortvolumes.com disagree about 2% with each other). I suspect whoever was assigned TSLA for shorting on Friday was just lucky to get a close slightly in the red.

The main reasons for TSLA's strength are twofold. First, Berlin Gigafactory finally gave Tesla it's approval for operation. There's an air quality test that should take Tesla about 2 weeks to complete, but then the factory should be open for production and a grand opening is planned for the 3rd week in March. Here's CNBC's take. Both Rob Maurer and Dave Lee did nice jobs laying out the facts in their podcasts on the subject. Apparently the water issue is on track to be settled successfully, with a court requiring the water company to redo a public comment event.

The second help to Tesla's strength came Friday as Morgan-Stanley commented on the characteristics you'd look for in a company you'd buy into for riding out a recession. A big order backlog, plenty of cash, access to financing were a number of the criteria mentioned and Tesla came out as the top pick. More and more Tesla is now becoming viewed as a safe haven for weathering an economic storm. Rob's video goes into this discussion.

Over the weekend a video emerged of Ukraine's leader and Elon speaking online. Zelensky praised Elon for his words and deeds. Elon also commented that it's time to up oil production in order to keep civilization powered during the short run. Elon's pragmatic approach to problems, even if those steps negatively affect his company in the meantime, is earning him respect from a wide range of the political spectrum in the U.S. and in other countries. SpaceX has now prioritized keeping Starlink from being jammed for Ukraine users, and Dave Lee here has done a good job of summarizing these developments.

Overall, Tesla is doing well. Both Giga Berlin and Giga Austin are opening for production within the next few weeks, and demand continues to be strong enough to bring a backlog of orders months long. High gasoline prices will only help with demand. Full self driving continues to improve at a rapid rate and the second half of 2022 should be a positive time for TSLA as Austin and Berlin start increasing output speed.

mar4treas - Copy.jpg

Ten year treasury bond yields dipped below 1.75% on Friday

mar4short - Copy.jpg

Friday was the only day last week when percent of selling tagged to shorts dipped below 60%.

mar4ihor - Copy.jpg

What's interesting about short interest is the lack of substantial covering around Feb25 when TSLA briefly dipped to 700. As is typical, the shorts tend to miss covering at the bottom and instead end of exiting their positions when forced to in a rally. You do see a slight dip around the 27th and the 322K shares covered this past week added some upward pressure on TSLA.

mar4maxp - Copy.jpg

Max pain is 860 going into the new week. Notice the twin spikes at 890 and 900 strikes. OTOH, there's not much incentive for market makers to push lower in the coming week.

mar4maxpwk.jpg

Thanks again to TMC's @JimS for the weekly summary of stock closing price vs. max pain. The previous Friday was a near exact hit for market makers. Initially on Monday the stock price climbed well above max pain but as traders changed their bets max pain rose and with some manipulative shenanigans the stock price fell on Thursday and Friday. The dip below max pain on Thursday and Friday suggests that someone other than market makers was doing the majority of the pushing down during second half of week.

Coronavirus Update

mar4newcases - Copy.jpg

The Daily New Cases for the U.S. above shows that the omicron spike and retreat is now pretty much complete. We'll likely need to see a new variant emerge before the market shows worry again.

mar4newcworld - Copy.jpg

The worldwide new cases does show that risk still exists, however. Other countries are where new variants can pop up, and until better saturation of effective vaccines are available in the 3rd world, the risk of new variants emerging and going mainstream still exist.

mar4tech - Copy.jpg

The biggest takeaway from the tech chart is how well the 200 day moving average worked as support for closing prices this week.

For the week, TSLA closed at 838.28, up 28.41 from the previous Friday's 809.87. I truly believe we would have seen a bigger climb if not for the apparent heavy-handed manipulations throughout the week. Hoping you all enjoy this weekend.

Conditions:
* Dow down 180 (0.53%)
* NASDAQ down 225 (1.66%)
* SPY down 4 (0.81%)
* TSLA 838.29, down 1.00 (0.12%)
* TSLA volume 22.3M shares
* Oil 115.7
* IV 63.3, 71%
* Max Pain 850
* Percent of TSLA selling tagged to shorts: 53%

mar7chart.jpg

TSLA chart above

mar7qqq.jpg

QQQ chart above

As this trading week began TSLA showed that it was trading stronger than the market again as it headed up to 866 before the market took a dive and ultimately pulled TSLA down with it. Up until nearly 1pm TSLA was flirting with staying green but, alas, the continued dropping of the NASDAQ eventually took its toll. For the day, NASDAQ closed down 3.62%, not far from TSLA's drop of 4.02%. In contrast, other tech stocks such as NVDA (-6.91%) and AMZN (-5.62) fared noticeably worse. Interestingly, ARKK (-3.62%) and ARKG (-1.78%) fared better than TSLA and many tech stocks, suggesting that the brutal manipufest (and resulting lower stock prices) last week for ARK Invest funds was taken into consideration on Monday.

No news that I'm aware of would warrant such a dramatic change of trajectory in TSLA's trading on Monday. I see two possible explanations, though. First, we've seen many macro dips where TSLA is strong to a certain point and then once the macro dip exceeds a certain amount, such as 2%, the algos kick and and start selling despite the relative strength. The other idea is that a hedge fund can make money easily when a stock like TSLA starts a downhill run into close and loses more than $60 from high to low by shorting on the way down. The relatively low percentage of selling by shorts number (see chart below) suggests that TSLA's dip was simply market response. The heavy buying at 4:00pm (736K shares) suggests some covering from a profitable short on the way down.

I agree with others on the main TMC thread today that TSLA is showing relative strength and should do well once the current dip bottoms out. As I mentioned earlier, trading during a war is inevitably going to be lumpy.

China numbers for February may appear as early as Tuesday morning. Because February has only 28 days and because it is affected by Chinese new year, fewer work days are involved and should be taken into account. No doubt the usual suspects will work to spin the numbers as a negative for Tesla, so keep those seat belts snug. OTOH, Trip Chowdhry says his tracking of deliveries so far suggests Q1 will be "massive".

Dave Lee has an excellent video on the Russia-Ukraine war, interviewing a think tank member who predicted the invasion and who is very reasonable in explaining how the conflict may progress from here. Definitely worth a look.

mar7short.jpg

Percent of selling by shorts dropped back into the normal range on Monday at 47%

mar7treas.jpg

10 yr. treasury bond yields closed below 1.8%, nice.

mar7maxp.jpg

Max pain dipped slightly to 855 and you can see why: every strike below 860 is dominated by puts

mar7tech.jpg

TSLA bounced off the mid-bollinger band this morning and then sank to near the 800 mark going into close. TSLA only spent 2 days last dip closing below 800 before we received a big bounce.

Conditions:
* Dow down 797 (2.37%)
* NASDAQ down 482 (3.62%)
* SPY down 13 (2.95%)
* TSLA 804.58, down 33.71 (4.02%)
* TSLA volume 23.4M shares
* Oil 119.4
* IV 67.3, 87%
* Max Pain 855
* Percent of TSLA selling tagged to shorts: 47%

mar8chart - Copy.jpg
\
TSLA chart above

mar8qqq - Copy.jpg

QQQ chart above

Tuesday was yet another show of strength for TSLA. While we saw a Mandatory Morning Dip push TSLA below 790, the stock kept bouncing back and in early afternoon almost reached 850. That high for TSLA (about 5.4%) coincided with peak QQQ around 1pm (about 2.3%), but as QQQ lost all its gains by close TSLA held on for a 2.46% gain. Volume was moderately high at 26.5 million shares traded.

Reasons for TSLA's increasing strength on Tuesday:
* Recent Giga Berlin obtaining permitting
* Recent enthusiasm after Adam Jonas declared TSLA and RACE as two stocks that have the needed characteristics to be safe havens in an inflationary storm
* China sold over 56K Teslas in February, a 208% year over year increase. Rob Maurer of Tesla Daily is paying to get production numbers for February, which are about 1,000 less than sales. Notice that these excellent February numbers came in a month with only 28 days and with the effects of the Chinese New Year. They should not be compared with January numbers for those reasons. Nonetheless, some media outlets couldn't help themselves and spun the deliveries as a negative. The various outlets quote Barrons, a perpetual bastion of Tesla negativity.
* Between noon and 1pm New York time, word came out (leaks tend to precede presidential announcements) that the U.S. will ban the import of Russian oil and gas. We saw a rally on the broader markets because markets like clarity and now President Biden had announced the U.S. position. The macro dip into close could be due to investors seeing what then happened to oil prices and they considered the effects upon inflation and the economy.
* Overall, countries and investors are concluding that relying on other countries to provide energy is a destabilizing force that should be avoided. European nations are looking for ways to quickly cut their energy use while expanding clean energy options. By providing EVs and clean energy solutions, Tesla is especially well positioned to benefit from this new focus.

In the Russia vs. Ukraine war, multi-national corporations are halting business with Russia. McDonalds, Starbucks, CocaCola and Pepsi have all chosen to temporarily discontinue business with Russia. Meanwhile, Shell Oil, which days ago took advantage of a purchase of oil from Russia at a discount price, apologized for that purchase, stated plans to buy no more Russian oil and to discontinue doing business in Russia (gas stations, joint oil ventures, etc.). We have never before seen such solid world-wide support given to one side of an armed conflict. Watching this conflict play out on social media is a big part of the reason for such universal condemnation. For this reason, Elon Musk's efforts to share Starlink with the Ukanians is indeed a hugely important development. The timing of a resolution to such a conflict is difficult to predict. If there is an agreement reached between the two sides, the market would respond quickly and we'd see a big gap up in stock prices. OTOH, there's also the possibility of no agreement and the conflict dragging on longer than expected.

One of the week's big stories so far has been spikes in the prices of commodities, particularly nickel. It's reassuring to know that Mayur Thaker Tweeted a statement from a Tesla document which emphasizes how Tesla has locked in long-term supply chain and pricing for materials.

If TSLA continues to maintain or climb from here, the recent dip below 800 will have lasted a mere one day. A few good macro days would allow the markets to establish a double-bottom, which would be a bullish development. As the end of March approaches, we should see the usual upward pressure on stock price as traders buy in for the Q1 Production and Deliveries report that comes out a few days into April. Fortunately, February production and deliveries in Shanghai support expectations of another record quarter.

mar8treas.jpg

10 year treasury bond yields closed at about 1.85% on Tuesday

mar8maxp - Copy.jpg

Max pain for Tuesday was 850, which looks right about on the dividing line between Put and Call domination. The massive Call wall of 15K 900-strike Calls is something the market makers would defend.

mar8tech - Copy.jpg

TSLA briefly approached 800 during market trading on Monday, dipped below on Tuesday and then bounced. If TSLA closes the week well above 800 the strength of 800 as support will have been demonstrated.

Conditions:
* Dow down 185 (0.56%)
* NASDAQ down 35 (0.28%)
* SPY down 3 (0.76%)
* TSLA 824.40, up 19.82 (2.46%)
* TSLA volume 26.5M shares
* Oil 125.0
* IV 65.2, 77%
* Max Pain 850
* Percent of TSLA selling tagged to shorts: 41%

Last edited:
mar9chart.jpg

TSLA chart above

mar9qqq.jpg

QQQ chart above

Am I really going to complain about TSLA's "mere" 4.19% climb on Wednesday? Of course! Comparing the TSLA and QQQ charts above, you can see a big Mandatory Morning Dip pushdown of TSLA about 10am. From about 11am until 2:00pm TSLA was actually descending slightly while QQQ continued climbing. Volume was 19.6M shares, which is lighter than any other day this week. No negative TSLA specific news was apparent. Max pain was at 840. TSLA should climb with the beta of a stock like NVDA (up 6.97%) or at least ARKK (up 5.27%) or ARKG (up 5.17%).

What I suspect was going on was that market makers or hedge funds were working TSLA down slowly, hoping for a lower starting price for an afternoon macro dip that could be accelerated over at TSLA with short selling. That macro dip never materialized and so TSLA did what it often does in a situation with a constantly rising macros when it has been capped too long: it broke free of the cap and played a game of catch-up going into the close. Unfortunately, it's ability to trade at a 2X or similar multiplier to the macros had already been defeated in the morning. Percent of selling by shorts was unusually low on Wednesday, but that does not mean that short-selling as a manipulation device was not employed. It just means that those capping the stock and then starting a slow descent were getting their short shares from non-FINRA exchanges. Some of the most apparent manipulations we've seen in the past have been on days with low percent of selling by shorts. In contrast, whoever was orchestrating the ARK Invest funds pushdown last week used FINRA sources for their short shares when pushing TSLA down, and 66% selling by shorts for most of the week highlighted that mischief was indeed afoot.

Keep in mind that we see several trends at work simultaneously. We've seen many days when the macros dip in the afternoon after a strong morning performance, and that pattern is useful to hedge funds for profitably accelerating the dip into close with individual stocks such as TSLA. We've seen stronger beginnings of the week compared to ends of week. This pattern allows the stock to rise, to attract lots of weekly call option buyers, and then the end of week pushdown keeps those call options from becoming profitable to the buyer (just look at all the 1000-strike calls bought each week). We've also seen a general TSLA downtrend since beginning of the year. Option sellers don't want to see a significant rise above that trendline because it could then lead to a big breakout upwards (as @StarFoxisDown! alluded to in Wednesday's main investor thread).

So, yes I think we TSLA investors had our pockets picked again today, but in good time it won't matter because once a strong breakout rally begins it is more limited by the high end of analyst price targets than any other factor (every breakout doesn't go that high, however). I'm thinking with two gigafactories opening within the next 4 weeks, with record Q1 deliveries and profits yet again, and possibly even a resolution to the Ukraine invasion between now and then, there could be enough of a catalyst to get TSLA into breakout mode. My tactics remain the same: I avoid using margin, buying call options with anything other than minimal time value, and buying call options with less than a year or two of time remaining. Most call option buyers lose money. Don't be one of them.

News:
* Electrek says deliveries begin at Giga Berlin on March 22.
* Electrek also says long range Models 3 and Y are going up in price by $1000
* Teslarati says that S3XY Tesla lineup dominated U.S. January sales with Y and 3 accounting for nearly 64% of all deliveries
* Dave Lee dives into Elon's effort to back out of the SEC settlement over "funding secured"

mar9treas.jpg

10 yr. treasury bond yields rose to about 1.94% on Wednesday

mar9maxp.jpg

Max pain was 840 today as TSLA stalled around 840-850 mid-day when it should have gone higher. Coincidence? I think not.

mar9tech.jpg

TSLA rose about the red 200 day moving average and mid-bollinger band, which are both significant. Take a look at how little time TSLA has closed above the mid-bb since mid-January.

Conditions:
* Dow up 654 (2.00%)
* NASDAQ up 460 (3.59%)
* SPY up 11 (2.68%)
* TSLA 858.97, up 34.57 (4.19%)
* TSLA volume 19.6M shares
* Oil 108.7
* IV 60.9, 63%
* Max Pain 840
* Percent of TSLA selling tagged to shorts: 40%

Last edited:
mar10tslapre.JPG

TSLA chart above

mar10qqqpre.JPG

QQQ chart above

Yes, the second half of the week pushdown on TSLA is well underway again. Sigh. Now that hopeful traders have loaded up with out of the money call options expiring Friday it's time for market makers to push the down elevator button and readjust the stock price. Volume of TSLA was relatively low on Thursday, only 19.3 million shares trading. With investor jitters about Putin on a rampage and interest rates climbing, it's an easy environment for believable manipulations that push the stock price lower. OTOH, Tesla is looking extraordinarily good going forward with 2 new gigafactories confirmed to be coming online in weeks and more demand than it can handle with a surge in demand as the cherry on top. This InsideEV article says that in some locations Tesla is experiencing a 100% increase in orders because of the rising gas prices. Thus, pushdowns are relatively easy and all the manipulators have to do for TSLA to outperform the market is keep their hands off and the good news of Tesla's execution and demand will do the rest. For this reason, we may have to endure another week or two of this weekly roller-coaster until the approach of Q1 end stirs up the buying going into April.

Comparing the TSLA chart to the QQQ chart, we saw times during the day when TSLA was trading at well over a 3X multiple of QQQ (and NASDAQ). Notice the late morning and early afternoon dips of both charts. TSLA's afternoon dip was considerably deeper than QQQ's, suggesting the ratcheting up of downward pressure during the low volume afternoon hours was being used.

Stocks saw considerable recovery prior to close. Nonetheless, with NASDAQ down 0.95%, TSLA closed at nearly a 2.5X multiple (-2.41%) with ARK invest ETFs closing even lower than TSLA. An increase in percent of selling by shorts to 50% (see chart below) has the fingerprints of the ARK manipulators maybe getting back into the game again (after their nearly a week of 66% selling by shorts in first week of March), with TSLA being a component of that manipulation. The market makers can do their manipulations through their own devices and in dark pools (outside of FINRA), so we don't necessarily see the percent of selling by shorts number rise when they're at work on a stock like TSLA. Chinese EV makers got hammered on Thursday which might have some spillover onto TSLA (NIO - 11.9%, BYDDY -4.21%, XPEV -9.01%). OTOH, high growth tech stocks did better than TSLA (NVDA -1.55%), AAPL -2.72%). We can't use ARKK as a surrogate for high growth tech stocks since it may be a target of a manipulation itself, again.

Looking at the strong likelihood of another record quarter coming up, and a strong 2022, I have decided to not sweat the current dip of TSLA and to instead realize things are going to get much better. Consider what I'm doing, which is to take a break from the Ukraine news and the market craziness, both of which are out of my control, and instead concentrate on something positive in your life, such as working on some fitness goals. Exercise is a great way to combat stress.

Let me also suggest not trying to time the market reaction to the Ukraine invasion. Ukraine is doing much better than expected, which the market likes, Putin is still capable of unleashing much destruction and fearful rhetoric, which makes the market shiver, and oftentimes a peace agreement comes unexpectedly in the midst of the worst fighting, which would give someone on the sidelines no time to get back in before the market gaps way up.

mar10short.jpg

Percent of selling by shorts increased on Thursday as some entity was busy turning the screws on TSLA

mar10treas.jpg

10 yr. treasury bond yields have been hiking higher every day this week and are now just a smidgen under 2%

mar10maxp.jpg

Max pain was 840 and TSLA closed $1.70 away from that number on Thursday. If you look at the weekend weekly max pain vs. stock price charts by @JimS you will see that we often see the numbers come close together on Thursdays. Unfortunately for the market makers, nailing max pain on Thursday is no guarantee for Friday. TSLA will move in the direction of the market, in most cases, and although market makers can tweak the amount of rise or fall of TSLA, the macros simply override their efforts on some Fridays.

mar10tech.jpg

TSLA remains close to the 200 day moving average and the mid bollinger band.

Conditions:
* Dow down 112 (0.34%)
* NASDAQ down 126 (0.95%)
* SPY down 2 (0.45%)
* TSLA 838.30, down 20.67 (2.41%)
* TSLA volume 19.3M shares
* Oil 106.7
* IV 60.6, 61%
* Max Pain 840
* Percent of TSLA selling tagged to shorts: 50%

mar11chart.jpg

TSLA chart above

mar11qqq.jpg

QQQ chart above

Let's start with a look at the past two weeks. Feb28-Mar4 was the week the hedge funds attacked ARK-Invest ETFs. TSLA is a large component of 3 ETFs managed by ARK-Invest and was a prime target for the week's downward pressure. Four of the five days saw percent of selling by shorts elevated to 66% (according to shorvolumes.com) suggesting lots of shorting in order to day-manipulate TSLA downward. We also received reports of significant spoofing from a TMC member with level 2 access. TSLA miraculously closed over $28 (3.5%) higher that week while the NASDAQ lost 2.6%.

The week of Mar7-11 was one of negative news for macros but very positive news for Tesla. Oil prices spiked well above $100/barrel, which caused a surge in interest toward EVs. Some U.S. locations were seeing 100% increases in their already high demand for Tesla vehicles. With waiting times at least three or four months out (Shanghai demand is now catching up with Fremont), TSLA raised 3 and Y prices from both factories by $1000 (with a good chance those price increases were at least in part aimed to tone down the waiting times). Meanwhile, Europe came to the conclusion that depending upon Russian oil is an untenable situation and plans to rapidly expand clean energy so that two-thirds of Russian gas can be replaced by year end. The enormous uptick of interest in Tesla EVs and overall solar and battery interest was massive, just as two new factories (one in Europe) are now just weeks away from opening. Tesla competition continued to stumble with Rivian reporting over $2 billion in losses for Q4. The clear message is that production is hard (as Elon keeps reminding us) and a robust EV competitor is still nowhere to be seen. How did TSLA fare with this deluge of positive news for the company? The NASDAQ closed down 3.6% while TSLA closed down 7.1%.

How does one explain such pricing of TSLA? I suppose one could suggest that TSLA outperforming the NASDAQ by 6.1% the previous week set TSLA up for a readjustment this past week. Still, the news this week was so positive for TSLA that I cannot agree that the market is making these pricing decisions without some manipulations involved.

Looking specifically at Friday, Mar. 11, the max pain number and TSLA stock price were closely aligned on Thursday, and so if market makers had their way you would expect TSLA to fall less than the NASDAQ's 2.2% dip. Instead, it fell more than twice as hard as the NASDAQ. Here's what I think happened.

Looking at Chinese EV makers, we saw NIO (-9.57%), BYDDY (-3.18%), and XPEV (-12.12%), we saw an early morning dip and then a leveling out in the afternoon that looked something like TSLA's trading. The explanation for the dips, however, was that the U.S. SEC is cracking down on Chinese companies on U.S. exchanges, requiring more audits in order to remain on the exchanges. That crackdown didn't include any EV manufacturers but it sent a chill through investors in these Chinese EV stocks. For this reason, I don't think the Chinese EV company dip was related to TSLA's dip on Friday. Ford only dropped 1.78% and GM 0.81%

A more likely explanation can be found by looking at the performance of ARK-Invest ETFs (ARKK -6.65%), ARKW (-6.07%), ARKQ (-3.59%), and ARKG (-6.61%). With other high-growth tech stocks doing not much worse than the NASDAQ, (NVDA -2.46%), it's entirely possible that the hedge funds were making another run on ARK-Invest ETFs on Friday and TSLA got included in the gunfire and spoofing was once again used. We saw TSLA head down quickly, far quicker than the macros. At 11:42am, TSLA was barely above 800 and down 4.5% while QQQ was down only 1%. Mercy, that's a 4.5X multiple. As the day progressed, QQQ more than doubled its 11:42am dip but TSLA dipped only slightly more. Percent of selling by shorts exceeding 50% on Friday supports this theory. My guess would be that the market makers saw that wall of 800 puts and decided to keep them out of the money or at least not far into the money. TSLA closed at 795.35. If you look at the previous day's max pain chart, you'll see that there wasn't much of a difference between puts and calls between 800 and 835, so the hedge funds could toss a bone to the hedgies, but taking TSLA much below 800 was something not to be tolerated. To be honest, I cannot tell you if this guess of mine is correct or not, but it is the scenario that makes the most sense to me. Thus, I'm like the man who glued his autobiography to himself: "That's my story and I'm sticking to it".

Overall the week was extremely positive for Tesla the company with an enormous market opening up for EVs and energy products and domestic startup EV maker after EV maker stumbling in their efforts to profitably produce vehicles.

mar11maxp.jpg

Looking at the week going forward, max pain is at 835, but just look at how closely the calls and puts are aligned at strike prices above 800. The 850 strike looks like a dead heat. We'll need to see more put or call buying before the market makers feel compelled to dampen any climbs.

mar11maxpweek.jpg

As with the previous Thursday, TSLA was positioned for an easy move to Max Pain on Friday. The market makers on this past Friday drew a line for how far they'd allow another band of pirates to sink TSLA on option expiration Friday, and the stock didn't get much below 800. Chart courtesy of @JimS .

mar11treas.jpg

The uptrend in 10 year treasury bond yields flattened out on Friday, slightly below 2%.

mar11tech.jpg

The tech chart is perhaps this week's most important chart because you can see the repeating patterns. Throughout most of February we saw a narrow trading range. After that we saw hard pushdowns below 800 occur three times. The first one lasted 2 days before the bounce above 800, the second lasted one trading day before the bounce, and TSLA has just entered the third. Notice that since mid-January TSLA has traded below the mid-bollinger band. It has also mostly traded above the (red) 200 day moving average and recovered quickly when below. We're in the week where the two cross and we'll see if TSLA continues staying below the mid-bb or follows the 200 DMA in a shallow climb. I think whichever way it goes, the trend will be disrupted by the April Production and Delivery Report, and perhaps the run higher in anticipation of that report. If it continues to stay below the mid-bollinger band but bounces each time after descending below 800, that would set up a narrowing wedge which would likely be resolved one way or the other with the P&D Report.

For the week, TSLA closed at 795.35, down 42.94 from the previous Friday's 838.29. Hoping you enjoyed your weekend and didn't fixate on stock prices and the Ukraine situation. We're getting closer to the end of quarter (little more than 2 weeks away) and at some point in that final week we could see a bidding up of the stock price in anticipation of yet another record Production and Deliveries Report. With the hedge funds and market makers taking advantage of market jitters to manipulate TSLA, nothing is set in stone in the short run. Eventually the Ukraine situation will be resolved and we'll see a big broad market bounce when that happens. Don't try to time that bounce or you'll really drive yourself nuts. Nonetheless, better days lay ahead.

Conditions:
* Dow down 230 (0.69%)
* NASDAQ down 286 (2.18%)
* SPY down 5 (1.27%)
* TSLA 795.35, down 42.95 (5.12%)
* TSLA volume 22.0M shares
* Oil 109.3
* IV 66.2, 82%
* Max Pain 835
* Percent of TSLA selling tagged to shorts: 51%

Last edited:
mar14price.jpg

mar14chart.jpg

TSLA chart above

mar14qqq.jpg

QQQ chart above

Please excuse me this past weekend for not anticipating that Elon would challenge Putin to mortal combat. I'll try to be more thorough going forward. In all seriousness, the move puts Elon in the news, brings more followers to his Twitter account (which gives Tesla free advertising), and gives Tesla more of a badass reputation (on top of its good to the earth and mankind vibes). If Tesla had the cybertruck for sale at the moment, the orders would be flooding in. Should Ukraine remain free, and I now think it will, Tesla will be the vehicle of choice among those Ukrainians who can afford one. By the way, I think Elon was absolutely serious that he would face Putin for mortal combat if given the chance to risk his life and potentially save thousands. Overall, TSLA was likely unaffected pricewise today because of Elon's Tweet.

The same cannot be said for Elon's Tweet about both Tesla and SpaceX being affected by inflation. I think the hedge funds saw an opportunity to use that Tweet as an excuse for an enormous Mandatory Morning Dip on Monday that extended below 760. The market bought that dip, so it had little staying power and we even saw a rise into the green as the MMD unwound. If you check out the percent of selling by shorts chart below, you'll see significantly elevated numbers, which suggests manipulations.

Unfortunately for TSLA, the NASDAQ did a deep dip in the afternoon and closed down 2.04%. TSLA's dip of 3.64% is about what you'd expect from a a high growth tech company. For example, NVDA closed down 3.48%. Much of the worry is over reports that China might ship war materials to Russia for use in Ukraine, which would result in at least some sanctions on China and expected countermoves by China. Tuesday's macros may be affected by China concerns.

The bright spot of the day was TSLA recovering half of its market hours losses late in after-hours trading. My guess is that word of yet another round of Tesla vehicle price increases announced late Monday (see this Electrek article) is responsible for that after-hours surge. One of the frustrations about being a well-informed retail investor is that you get too far ahead of the market in understanding what is happening with TSLA. Eventually, the market does see it. Consider the effects of inflation and supply chain issues with an upstart like Rivien, which just lost billions in Q4. Now consider Tesla, which has a reputation for solving supply chain issues far more elegantly than any competitors. Tesla also has incredible pricing power with its multi-month waiting lists and recent surge in orders as gas prices go through the roof. Tesla's decision to raise prices again on Monday flexed some of those muscles and Wall Street approved.

So, you have three competing forces at the moment: the market is scared of its shadow, hedge funds and market makers are ready to manipulate Tesla and take advantage of those market fears, and Tesla is in a truly outstanding position to weather inflation, recession, or whatever the economy throws at it, and do so with industry leading margins and spectacularly high growth.

mar14short.jpg

With percent of selling by shorts approaching 60% again, the level of manipulations is once again on the upswing.

mar14treas.jpg

Monday saw a sizeable jump in 10 year treasury bond yields, not only crossing 2% but ending the day at 2.14%

mar14maxp.jpg

Max pain increased to 850 on Monday. Notice that on Friday morning the 850 strike puts and calls were even in number but now the calls have increased in number, which gives the market makers incentive to hold TSLA below 850 on Friday. Often you see the max pain settle at about the point where puts dominate in the low direction and call options dominate above that strike. Because of the unusually large number of in-the-money puts at strikes well above max pain this week, the max pain number gets moved up to balance the effect of these puts as part of the total equation.

mar14tech.jpg

March has been a series of moves between the lower bollinger band and the mid bollinger band. On Monday TSLA briefly tested the lower bb and then bounced higher. If you look back at the following three months, TSLA generally stays above the lower bb and hasn't spent more than two days in a row below. Macros will be the primary determinant of TSLA price direction in the short term, though, so hang on.

Conditions:
* Dow up 1 (0.00%)
* NASDAQ down 263 (2.04%)
* SPY down 3 (0.73%)
* TSLA 766.37, down 28.98 (3.64%)
* TSLA volume 23.7M shares
* Oil 100.6
* IV 67.9, 89%
* Max Pain 850
* Percent of TSLA selling tagged to shorts: 58%

mar15chart.jpg

TSLA chart above

mar15qqq.jpg

QQQ chart above. The afternoon break upwards is not fully appreciated in this chart because a spike in after-hours trading somewhat gorked the chart

mar15nas.jpg

Nasdaq chart above. Notice how substantially the NASDAQ ran up in the final hour and a half of trading. That break higher allowed TSLA to wiggle free of the manipulative capping and pushdown and instead end the day with a more reasonable 2X plus multiple of the NASDAQ.

Tuesday brought a rally to tech stocks and the rest of the market as the NASDAQ rose 2.92%. Monday's fears about China supplying military hardware to Russia faded by Tuesday because of Chinese statements suggesting neutrality. Tuesday's enthusiasm likely resulted from inflation being up 0.8% in February vs. expectations of a 0.9% climb of the PPI for the month. TSLA had moderate volume of 22M shares traded and managed to run up 4.63%. In contrast NVDA which is also a high growth tech company and is also down 36% this year rose 7.7%.

TSLA's close above 800 on Tuesday maintains the trend of only 1-2 days closing below 800 before the bounce. Again, these trends are only for reference. Macro performance generally rules at the moment.

TMC member @viridi mentioned here about tremendous spoofing with TSLA trading this morning near 770, We have often seen manipulations shortly after opening, perhaps as an effort to discourage traders from jumping in. TSLA's percent of selling by shorts dropped way down to 41%, so clearly we weren't seeing the manipulators getting their short shares from FINRA exchanges, but the reality could simply be that they switched their sourcing to non-FINRA exchanges. In any event the outsized greater than 2X multipliers we've been seeing on the declines of TSLA were not apparent on green days because at 1:20pm TSLA was only up 2.6% to the NASDAQ's 1.94% (not much more than a 1.3X multiplier). Fortunately, the Dow and NASDAQ started strong climbs in the final hour and a half of market trading and TSLA broke free of the capping/slow pushdown and managed to close the day approaching a 1.6X multiplier of the NASDAQ. Keep in mind if TSLA climbed with a mere 2.1X multiple of the NASDAQ on Tuesday it would be up more than 6.1%. I'm going to keep my, "Caution, beware of pickpockets sign posted."

Regarding possible settlement in the Ukraine invasion by Russia, note that
* Not only have Russian advances on major cities been stopped but we saw some counter-attacks by Ukraine in the news
* Zelensky says negotiations now are getting closer to reality
* On Wednesday morning Zelensky will address the U.S. House and Senate. Meanwhile, President Biden is planning an additional $800 million in aid to Ukraine, and speculation is that the aid could include drones (which have been very effective so far for Ukraine).
The combination of these developments could possibly speed up a resolution to the conflict and I wouldn't want to be on the sidelines at the time a resolution came about. Putin is unpredictable, however, and rather than betting on the timing of a resolution I am simply remaining in with my TSLA shares and leaps, making a point of not looking at the total of my IRA until this conflict is behind us.

Coming this week: Expectations are that the Fed will raise interest rates 0.25%, but some speculate on 0.50%. I think the market would give a sigh of relief at a 0.25% raise.

mar15treas.jpg

10 year treasury bond yields remained right at 2.14%, exactly where they were on Monday

mar15maxp.jpg

Max pain showed as 835 on Tuesday morning. Looking at the chart above, you can see that the transition point from put domination to call domination is at about 815, but max pain is higher because of all the puts set to expire at much higher strikes. It's important to realize that these puts at high strikes are not bets being put in this week.

mar15maxp2.jpg

Here's the volume chart to compare to the max pain chart above. Notice there's little to no trading of puts above 810. All of those spikes you see in puts above 800 are the result of puts purchased some time ago when the stock price was higher.

mar15tech.jpg

Tuesday's move reinforced the idea that the stock price typically bounces off the lower bollinger band. A few days ago we saw that the stock price also typically bounces off the mid bollinger band on the way up. That's the trading range we're being allowed to have for now but there is a qualification. When the stock drops below 800, it only spends a day or two there before rebounding higher. A bullish trend would be to see TSLA rise through the mid-bb and close above the red 200 day moving average line. We have players doing their best to prevent that from happening now. TSLA running up and down within the narrow "allowed" trading range is just too profitable to give up until one has to.

Again, I remind you that we don't bet in an honest casino. I see some investors who are placing call bets with mid April as their expiration date. If the market was honest, given the excellent news for TSLA and expected strength of Q1 results, I'd say that bet might work. Unfortunately, if too many traders place call bets on the same strike price or narrow range of strike prices, odds are strong that the market makers will intentionally keep the stock price below that strike until the call options expire. The good news? Tesla is so strong in execution and growth at the moment that it will likely bust through artificial constraints at some point in order to demonstrate its new value at an ATH. Just keep your investing horizons long and reasonable.

Conditions:
* Dow up 599 (1.82%)
* NASDAQ up 367 (2.92%)
* SPY up 9 (2.20%)
* TSLA 801.89, up 35.52 (4.63%)
* TSLA volume 22.2M shares
* Oil 95.37
* IV 62.0, 69%
* Max Pain 835
* Percent of TSLA selling tagged to shorts: 41%

Last edited:
mar16chart.jpg

TSLA chart above

mar16qqq.jpg

QQQ chart above

Tuesday was a rock and roll day for the macros as they gave up almost all of the day's large gains after the Fed announced a 0.25% rate increase and the likelihood of 6 additional rate hikes in 2022. This was pretty much what the market was expecting, but since the market is still afraid of its own shadow the NASDAQ dipped almost to the red/green line before cooler heads bought the dip and ran the NASDAQ well above its morning highs for the close.

Meanwhile, TSLA's chart above looks much like the QQQ chart below it, but with some important differences. Notice the very deep Mandatory Morning Dip that started a couple minutes prior to market open. This was likely a pushdown intended to keep TSLA from establishing a high multiple compared to the NASDAQ for the day. Apparently it worked because we see the two charts resembling each other fairly closely, with TSLA closing up 4.78% to the NASDAQ's 3.77% (a mere 1.26X muliple). In contrast, growth tech company NVDA closed up 5.63% and ARKK up 10.39%. Keep in mind that on down days it's common for TSLA to descend at a 2X or higher multiple of the NASDAQ.

Notice, too, the TSLA attempted pocket-picking taking place in the final 6 minutes of market trading. At 3:54 TSLA was trading at 841.31, but 2 minutes later it was $3 lower. Fortunately in the closing cross TSLA rebounded to 840.23, but you have to give the pirates credit for trying. No such dip occurred on the QQQ chart.

News:
* The South China Morning Post reports that Tesla's Shanghai factory will be closed for two days in order to give all workers coronavirus checks.
* Adam Jonas of Morgan-Stanley visited Tesla's Fremont factory, reported it to be very busy and issued 5 observations:
1) The factory is really busy, producing more like 450K vehicles/yr. vs. the 300K/yr. that Toyota did at its best
2) Tesla is demonstrating strong pricing power. Jonas sees so much demand for Teslas that he doesn't expect to see a need to lower prices until 2024
3) Raw material price increases will be felt but will be more than compensated by Tesla's increase in prices for vehicles (Rob Maurer did an excellent job laying out this situation in his Monday Tesla Daily podcast. Chips are a bigger concern.
4) Capacity and Margins- Tesla reiterated that growth will be comfortably above 50% with or without the additions of Berlin and Austin gigafactories. Opening of new factories works to pull margins lower but improved designs of vehicles and manufacturing will be pulling margins higher.
5) FSD Impact- Instead of realizing 60% of FSD income in year one, TSLA should be able to realize close to 100% of FSD income in the first year.

mar16treas.jpg

10 yr. treasury bond yields rose higher after the Fed announced a 0.25% increase in rates and 6 more likely raises in 2022

mar16maxp.jpg

Max pain fell to 820 on Tuesday morning but the stock price has already run $20 ahead of max pain. Notice how many calls are within the 14K-25k volume area. If the 900 and above calls close out of the money this week the market makers will make some very nice profits once again. Keeping TSLA in a rather narrow trading range but getting call buyers enthused early in the week has been a winning strategy for the market makers so far.

mar16tech.jpg

Once again, the tech chart is the most important chart of the day. Looking at the candle for Tuesday's trading, you can see that TSLA's climb to 840.23 places it above the mid-bollinger band and close to the 200 day moving average. Typically, we've see that within one to two days of climbing above the mid-bb, TSLA has been pushed back down below it again. Thus, the remainder of the week is going to be critical to see if we climb out of the patterns that have so benefitted the market makers while keep TSLA within a shallow down channel. I am going to start getting bullish if TSLA closes above the mid bb (833.76) and above the 200 DMA (currently at 848.04) on Friday. If TSLA gets bopped back down into the narrow trading range in the second half of this week, we'll likely have to wait until the market prepares for good news about Q1.

Conditions:
* Dow up 519 (1.55%)
* NASDAQ up 488 (3.77%)
* SPY up 9 (2.22%)
* TSLA 840.23, up 38.34 (4.78%)
* TSLA volume 27.9M shares
* Oil 96.07
* IV 57.5, 50%
* Max Pain 820
* Percent of TSLA selling tagged to shorts: 47%

mar17chart.jpg

TSLA chart above

mar17qqq.jpg

QQQ chart above

TSLA found its mojo on Thursday and closed up 3.73% (volume was a moderate 21.9%) compared to the NASDAQ's 1.33%. That's nearly a 3X multiple. In comparison, NVDA, which had been outclimbing TSLA earlier this week, added only 1.1% on Thursday. How about the ARK Invest funds that appeared to be artificially held back along with TSLA? ARKK closed up 4.81% and ARKG was up 4.97%. Money is flowing back into tech stocks now that the Fed has clarified its rate hike plans. With TSLA and the ARK Invest funds lagging behind top tech stocks earlier this week, Thursday's strength for TSLA might just be a natural balancing as investors look for perceived value in tech stocks.

TSLA's Thursday gains add up to gains of more than $100 over the past three trading sessions. The stock's strong climb through the mid bollinger band is a sign that TSLA may finally be breaking out of the lower-bb to mid-bb trading range where it has been locked for months. The big question now is how well TSLA will perform on Friday. Can TSLA resist an overly-large pushdown on Friday vs. the NASDAQ? If so, the path for more climbing is being marked. If TSLA falls prey to the inevitable downward forces that the market makers are likely to unleash on Friday, then we'll likely have to wait until another week goes by for the Berlin Gigafactory Grand Opening on March 22, aided by speculative runup for Q1 Production and Deliveries Report at the very end of this month.

This Reuters article says that Tesla will attempt to keep the Shanghai gigafactory producing vehicles while it works with the government to give the necessary Covid tests to employees (caution: article behind paywall).

Correction: One of our well-informed TMC members pointed out that Numi Production reached its annual peak of 428,633 units in 2006. That number is available in Wikipedia. On Wednesday I quoted a Morgan-Stanley note that said 300K was the max vehicle production at Fremont before Tesla took the factory over. Thanks for the correction.

mar17treas.jpg

10 yr. treasury bond yields are starting to level somewhat around 2.2%

mar17maxp.jpg

With stock price at 871 and max pain at 825, a red macro day on Friday would be an invitation for market makers to put downward pressure on TSLA. Looks like the big prize would be 850. If the stock continues to run higher on Friday, expect the MMs to pull out the stops in an effort to hold TSLA below 900.

mar17tech.jpg

TSLA has broken through the efforts of the market makers to keep the stock trading in a narrow and shallow downtrend. We haven't seen TSLA this high above the mid-Bollinger Band since mid-January. Moveover, TSLA is once again above the 200 day moving average. The 200 DMA hasn't been particularly a factor in TSLA trading this year, but if the stock remains above it'll be a bullish sign since the 200 DMA is in a shallow uptrend.

Conditions:
* Dow up 418 (1.23%)
* NASDAQ up 178 (1.33%)
* SPY up 5 (1.25%)
* TSLA 871.60, up 31.37 (3.73%)
* TSLA volume 21.9M shares
* Oil 103.6
* IV 55.2, 43%
* Max Pain 825
* Percent of TSLA selling tagged to shorts: 51%

Last edited:
mar18chart.jpg

TSLA chart above

mar18qqq.jpg

QQQ chart above

As TSLA entered trading on Friday it was poised for a major drama. Three days and over $100 of climbing had brought it $7 over the mid-bollinger band (which had effectively been the top for more than 2 months of trading). Moreover, TSLA closed just $8 below the 200 day moving average (which would be the yellow brick road to continued climbing since the 200 DMA is sloping uphill vs. the top of the past two months (mid-bb) which had been slowly leading downhill). A pushdown of a mere $8 on Friday would bring TSLA closer to the max pain that the market makers were more than willing to help achieve, especially with the NASDAQ trading in the red going into market open.

If those details weren't enough for you to grab a bag of popcorn and watch breathlessly, there's yet more to the story. Friday was a triple-witching (quarterly) options expiration date with 900 strike calls towering over 25K contract high (lots of money on the table for the market makers), and it was also rebalancing day for the S&P 500, which meant funds that mimic the S&P500 would need to be buying TSLA shares (and many wait to the last minute so as to be as close as possible to the exact S&P500 value.

TSLA saw over 2 million shares purchased at the opening cross as some index funds bought in, allowing TSLA to begin the day in the green. NASDAQ was still red. The dastardly market makers weren't taking this threat lying down and managed to contain TSLA's climb then push it into the red briefly 6 minutes after open. Lo and behold, the NASDAQ climbed into the green about 18 minutes after market open. Looking at the QQQ chart, it darn near plateaued between 12:45pm and 2:45pm, gaining just a singe dollar of value during that time, but then took off and climbed aggressively into close.

Now compare TSLA's performance to QQQ's. TSLA darn near kissed 900 40 minutes after market open but it was nearly 3:00pm before TSLA finally broke above 900 with conviction and climbed higher. We can even see one of those programed algo-driven descents of TSLA between about 1:10pm and 2:10pm, which is a common manipulative pattern. Draw a line at $900 and you can see that most of the day was an effort by market makers to keep TSLA from climbing above that number. It was the steeper climb of NASDAQ and QQQ after 2:45pm that broke the market maker's capping and allowed TSLA to climb above 900. We saw a climb in TSLA in the final minutes of market trading as the price had to increase in order to accommodate the 5.4 million shares bought in the closing cross.

All in all, it was an eventful day. A small pushdown of TSLA on Friday would have placed the stock back in the old trading range. Instead, the $33 climb advertised a breakout for TSLA. We'll see Giga Berlin's official opening this coming week (Tuesday) and then the following week will be the last week to position before Q1 Production and Delivery Report comes out. On the macro scene, the big news this past week was the market's decision that it's time to jump back into the tech stocks again.

News:
* Dan Ives reiterated his $1400 TSLA base case , saying TSLA is the best EV play
* TSLA has received its operating permit for Giga Berlin after all 400 qualifications completed, allowing it to now produced vehicles for sale
* Sawyer Merritt Tweets that base Model Ys are already sold out for the year in the U.S. and long range Model Ys have just jumped from September to October delivery dates. The importance of this increasing backlog is that it strongly suggests that vehicle price increases are larger than what's necessary to compensate for higher materials costs. Note: I viewed Tesla's Model Y page and couldn't find what Merritt was referring to as "base Model Ys". I can confirm that the site says Oct deliveries for long range Model Ys, though.

mar18short.jpg

All that capping to keep TSLA below 900 required lots of shorting, leading to 61% of shares being sold tagged to short-selling by shortvolume.com and 66% by shortvolumes.com.

mar18treas.jpg

Yields on 10 yr. treasury bonds retreated slightly on Friday but still closed above 2.1%

mar18maxp.jpg

Max pain is listed as 825 for next Friday. You can see the big jump upwards in call options at strikes 825 and above. Levels of put and call buying on Monday will likely be higher than what we see in the chart above, which should raise the max pain going into mid-week. Nonetheless, market makers would prefer to see the stock price fall in the coming week but they're facing a macro move back into tech stocks plus a breakout and continued good news for Tesla.

mar18maxpwk.jpg

Market forces were just too great for max pain to be a significant constraint to climbing this past week. Still, we saw lots of examples of capping and other behaviors that reduced the climb this week, so the climb would have been even higher without these manipulations and max pain gave us the heads up that the MMs would try. Thanks to @JimS for this chart.

mar18tech.jpg

Take a look from mid January to the present day and you won't see any excursions above the mid-bollinger band as strong as we saw on Friday. Bravo! Moreover, the stock has risen above the 200 day moving average, which is good news for technical traders. Notice that the 50 day moving average and the upper bollinger band have been intermingled for nearly a month and can be both support or resistance. Breaking through 900 was a real feat on Friday, but notice that the stock price bumped its head on the upper bollinger band and closed just 55 cents below. Fortunately, as long as TSLA remains above the mid-bollinger band we should see the bands starting to climb. Having the blue 50 day moving average cross below the 200 day moving average would have been bad news for technical traders, but it looks like TSLA's climb should help the 50 DMA stop its quick descent long enough for good Q1 numbers to start pulling the stock price higher and bring the 50 day moving average up as well.

For the week, TSLA closed at 905.39, up 110.04 from the previous Friday's 795.35. It's been a meaningful week, my friends. Please enjoy your weekend.

Conditions:
* Dow up 274 (0.80%)
* NASDAQ up 279 (2.05%)
* SPY up 5 (1.10%)
* TSLA 905.39, 33.79 (3.88%)
* TSLA volume 33.5M shares
* Oil 104.7
* IV 54.7, 43%
* Max Pain 825
* Percent of TSLA selling tagged to shorts: 61%

mar21chart.jpg

TSLA chart above

mar21qqq.jpg

QQQ chart above

The rising and falling QQQ chart above kept TSLA moving quickly as well. Fortunately, TSLA was much stronger than the macros on Monday, throughout the day. The overall trend was for TSLA's advantage over QQQ to be the greatest when the market was at its high points. Thus, we saw TSLA exceed QQQ by 3.9% at 9:41am peak and by 3.6% at the 11:40am peak. When QQQ hit lows, the difference decreased: 1.9% difference at 10:29am dip, and 1.9% difference again at the 1:22pm dip. TSLA closed in the middle between highs and lows, but the advantage TSLA held over QQQ then was only 2%. I suggest that we TSLA longs had our pockets picked slightly by the close not showing a better miidpoint between highs and lows.

Of course if TSLA closed a bit lower because of manipulations you might expect to see evidence in high percentage of selling by shorts, and the chart just below shows a high 63% of selling tagged to shorts on Monday.

The bigger point of Monday's trading was that TSLA was strong enough to climb well despite a negative NASDAQ and apparent effort from the pirates to minimize the climb, further confirming the breakout from the downtrend. Bravo!

News:
* Elon is flying to Berlin to participate in handover of Giga Berlin vehicles to new owners on Tuesday. Bravo again!
* Electrek says Tesla has increased the price of Megapacks now that backlog extends into next year. This is great news because higher yields should allow profits in the energy side of Tesla.

mar21short.jpg

The percent of selling by shorts chart by shortvolumes.com (above) shows 63% of selling was tagged to short-selling on Monday. This number suggests significant manipulations. The 59% number in our Conditions summary is 59% because it comes from a different source: shortvolume.com.

mar21treas.jpg

On Monday the Fed suggested that some of the upcoming interest rate hikes could be 0.5% instead of the recent 0.25%, which caused current bond prices to fall and 10 year treasury bond yields to rise above 2.3%

mar21stevenson.jpg

Here's the Stephenson Indicator for TSLA, named after its creator James Stephenson (Twitter: ICannot_Enough). Notice how the recent dip below the index is pretty much gone now and TSLA looks on track to follow the index now or do better. If you figure 20 trading days in a month and $1.69 gain per day, that works out to about about $33.80 climb per month, a bit over $100/quarter, or $400/year.

mar21maxp.jpg

Max pain was listed as 845, more than $75 below the current stock price. The most likely market maker moves at this point would be to try a push below $900 if the macros allow. If TSLA continues to climb, then a serious blockade to keep TSLA below $950 would be the likely plan.

mar21tech.jpg

Wow, talk about showing strength. TSLA is pushing the upper bollinger band higher, and it has reclaimed the 50 day moving average, something it hasn't done since mid-January. Monday was green day 5 in a row. Seldom do we see 6 green days in a row, although it happens on rare occasions. My point is that you tend to see a profit taking day somewhere along the way with this many higher closes.

Conditions:
* Dow down 202 (0.58%)
* NASDAQ down 55 (0.40%)
* SPY down 0 (0.03%)
* TSLA 921.16, up 15.77 (1.74%)
* TSLA volume 26.6M shares
* Oil 113.3
* IV 54.2, 43%
* Max Pain 845
* Percent of TSLA selling tagged to shorts: 59%

mar22chartline.jpg

TSLA chart above

mar22qqq.jpg

QQQ chart above

Congratulations, longs, TSLA came within a few dollars of exceeding $1000 today. The stock closed up nearly $73 on high volume of 35.1M shares.

It was a big day for the NASDAQ, which gained 1.95%. Growth stocks in particular were doing well, with ARKK up 4.67%. In his Tesla Daily podcast, Rob Maurer pointed out that Tuesday was a particularly strong day for EV stocks:
mar22ev.JPG

Thus, between growth stocks and EV stocks being up heavily on Tuesday, one need not look for a specific reason for TSLA to have performed so well. Many of us were impressed by Elon's mention of 70-80% growth in the past and maybe stronger going forward, but the mainstream media did not pick up on that sound bite (which suggests Elon's words didn't contribute much to the day's gains). The good news is that the market hasn't priced in the kind of growth that likely will be shared by Tesla in the not so distant future. Watch the analysts revise their price targets as Elon revises the "greater than 50% annual growth" expectations. Analysts who cling to 25% growth going forward will just look silly.

At times like this I go back to my old piece of advice, "Most of our big up days arrive unexpectedly. You have to be invested in the stock to take advantage of these pleasant surprises."

Looking at the two charts above, you can see that QQQ climbed quite quickly to its high in the morning and mostly hovered there. TSLA, in contrast, battled to cross 950 between about 11:10am and 1:30pm. Our old friends the market makers didn't want to start paying on all those 950 strike call options. Once 950 fell, TSLA climbed very quickly until 996 by 3:15pm and then spent the next 45 minutes trying unsuccessfully to tag 1000. Again, the usual pirates were at work here too, I strongly suspect. I've drawn black lines to help identify the approx. location of 950 and 1000 on the TSLA chart above.

News:
* Elon Musk spoke at Giga Berlin while first deliveries were made on Tuesday. The video shows the upbeat and thoughtful side of Elon as he emphasizes that the vehicles made here will contribute to a future worth looking forward to. The German chancellor attended the event to mark this important milestone.
* Tesla crossed back into over $1 trillion market cap territory at close on Tuesday

mar22shorts.jpg

Market makers don't need to draw shares for shorting from FINA exchanges, but apparently the task of whacking TSLA as it approached 950 and then 1000 was tough enough to cause 64% of all FINRA ticker transactions to be tagged short.

mar22treas.jpg

10 year treasury bond yields continue to rise, they're now about 2.375%

mar22ihor.jpg

So, as TSLA dipped into the 700s you would have expected a large number of the shorts to cover, right? We saw some dip in short interest during March, but for the most part TSLA's short interest hasn't changed much as we head toward 1000. Notice that another climb like Tuesday's could wipe out all the gains of the shorts in 2022.

mar22maxp.jpg

Max pain of 865 is pretty irrelevant after such a big climb. Market makers would enjoy a pushdown to 950 if the market turned south. More likely, 1000 could be the battlefield as MMs try to minimize damage this week.

mar22tech.jpg

Want to see what a breakout looks like? Check out the six green days in a row. The first two days took us from the bottom of the lower bollinger band up through the mid-bb, the previous trading range we'd been stuck in for months. TSLA has now climbed well above the upper-bb, which is slanting upward in an attempt to chase the stock price. Generally, the stock price doesn't remain above the upper-bb more than two days in a row. OTOH, we seldom see six green days in a row, but look what happened today. TSLA was trading at an unrealistically low price in mid-March, but when Wall Street gave a sigh of relief to the Fed's plan to start with a mere 0.25% interest rate increase as it laid out the plan for monthly increases going forward. In response, Wall Street signaled it was time to move back into tech stocks. All those sector redistributions are now being quickly unwound. Now we have Q1 results to look forward to.

Conditions:
* Dow up 254 (0.74%)
* NASDAQ up 270 (1.95%)
* SPY up 5 (1.17%)
* TSLA 993.98, up 72.82 (7.91%)
* TSLA volume 35.1M shares
* Oil 111.8
* IV 58.8, 56%
* Max Pain 865
* Percent of TSLA selling tagged to shorts: 64%

Last edited: