Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Papafox's Daily TSLA Trading Charts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So with how fast things are changing, is your bottom ladder buying price being altered?
e.g.:
470 @ 33% buy
420 @ 33% buy
370 @ 33% buy

I continue to believe it's tough to predict bottoms during this crisis because of the lumpy nature of the market responding to data as the situation changes. I have just been doing small buys at local bottoms. I find it easier to pick a local bottom or even an ultimate bottom where you're there than try to predict price points to buy at some future date. Fortunately I did a not-so-small buy just above 350 because the value looked great and the support by buyers looked so good at that price point.

Since a lot of investors feel badly that they missed buying in the 350s, I think that would be a strong support area for the stock as many investors jump in to not miss the opportunity a second time. There's a really good chance we will not revisit such a low level, however.

Last edited:
mar27chart.JPG

TSLA chart above

mar27qqq.JPG

QQQ chart above

After Thursday's trading, I expected hedge funds to push down on Friday, which they apparently did, but the results were considerably different than most of us expected. Leading into market open, we saw the now typical TSLA push downward toward market open that you see in manipulative trading days. Notice the distinct downward slope into open was not present on QQQ. At market open, QQQ was down 2.6% while TSLA was down 4.4%. Moveover, the TSLA icicle at 9:47am pushed TSLA down to a 6.3% drop, far out of sync with the NASDAQ's lesser dip.

Alas, when TSLA dipped below 500 buying pressure returned and TSLA followed QQQ's recovery but more than made up for it. Finally, at close I saw every stock and index on my phone app spike hugely down in the final half hour, but TSLA didn't follow. As a consequence, QQQ closed down 3.39% (3.79% for NASDAQ) but TSLA was down only 2.61%. When you consider that TSLA outperformed the broader indexes (Dow closed down 4%) despite manipulative pressure on an options close Friday, TSLA showed real strength again today.

Today could be looked at as an expected dip following three big up days for the macros and perhaps the result of a sell the news reaction.

On a personal note, I bought 100 TSLA shares today to close out my short-term trade begun at 530. Monday may indeed be a down day, but so much can change over the weekend that I am sitting at a desired TSLA level and will initiate another short-term trade only if I see a clear strategy and have a feel for where that week is heading. NASDAQ futures are looking down right now for Monday, but trading should be without the typical end of week manipulations of TSLA, so let's see if the relative strength of our stock asserts itself again early in the week.

mar27ihor.png

Dusaniwsky's chart shows some additional shorting in the recent week, and yet TSLA rose nonetheless. I attribute TSLA's strength to an abundance of investors currently on the fence and waiting for a safer entry or biting the bullet and jumping in as FOMO appears.

mar27short.png

Shorts were tagged with 57.8% of TSLA selling today, still a very high number

mar27tech.png

Looking at the technical chart, we regained quite a bit of ground Monday through Wednesday and came close to reaching the mid-bollinger band. The bands continue to descend, but at a lesser rate than before.

For the week, TSLA closed at 514.36, up 86.83 from last Friday's 427.53. After two tough weeks it's good to see an up week. Have a good weekend, and keep safe.

Conditions:
* Dow down 915 (4.06%)
* NASDAQ down 295 (3.79%)
* TSLA 514.36, down 13.80 (2.61%)
* TSLA volume 14.0M shares
* Oil 21.51
* Percent of TSLA selling tagged to shorts: 57.8%

Last edited:
Sunday Update

How does the week ahead look for TSLA trading? Here are some thoughts.
* As I write, futures are down about 1.25% and improving. That's not likely to lead to the type of dire Monday morning opening we've seen in some previous weeks
* In the POTUS's news briefing, he extended the current guidelines until April 30. This is a net positive because the market gets worried when he tries to gloss over the severity of the situation. He says U.S. max death rate should occur in about 2 weeks.
* The biggest positive news I've heard this weekend is of the 80 person study in France that was a follow-up to the 20 person study that was originally brought to widespread attention by Didier Raoult. There were criticism of the original study, but this second study shows nearly as dramatic positive effects. As a result, France has officially sanctioned the use of Hydroxychloroquine/Azithromycin combination as a treatment for COVID-19. There's not much word in the U.S. press right now, but I think there will be as New York, which has begun using this treatment as well, eventually will show improvements for patients in their studies, as well.

The takeaway is that if the hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin combination is as potent a treatment as the studies suggest, the problem of ventilator shortages might be avoided (because fewer patients lapse into pneumonia if treated soon enough), and there's a noticeable improvement in survivability of this virus. We'll find out soon enough when data from New York starts coming out.

Here is a link to an interview of a New York doctor who has treated 699 COVID-19 patients with hydroxychloroquine/Azithromycin plus zinc and has had 100% success. Rudy Giuliani did the interview. He says the reason for his high success is that he starts the treatments quickly enough to keep the patient from going into the very dangerous battle within the lungs known as ARDS. He says once a patient gets ARDS it's about a 50/50 chance of survival. Personally, I think 100% success ratio is a game changer and the secret is to start the treatment soon enough. The ventilators are essential for treating ARDS and the drugs can keep a patient from reaching that point. This is huge.

I visit the coronavirus thread frequently, and if you'd like to respond to this post, please do so there and I will respond to your response in that thread, as long as you use my name @Papafox within your post. I make this post here because my emphasis is on how developments will affect stock trading in the week or two ahead. I expect continued lumpy trading but I'm generally in a hodl posture as I have sufficient shares and calls now to be in good shape when the stock heads higher. If it dips, I'll ride it out.

Last edited:
Yeah technical looks good. MACD cross, momentum positive, it hit 21 EMA resistance just as Nasdaq QQQ.
50/50. Perhaps more on side of breakout due to technicals.
Market can for the first time not gap down on Monday like previous Mondays and cause short covering for those expecting down Monday.
Since you caught buying at 367 area, riding it out is the best thing to do.

Let's say if TSLA breaks out to upside to said as high as 620 area, are you going keep riding it out or sell out and buy lower?

• Informative
Reactions: 2virgule5
Yeah technical looks good. MACD cross, momentum positive, it hit 21 EMA resistance just as Nasdaq QQQ.
50/50. Perhaps more on side of breakout due to technicals.
Market can for the first time not gap down on Monday like previous Mondays and cause short covering for those expecting down Monday.
Since you caught buying at 367 area, riding it out is the best thing to do.

Let's say if TSLA breaks out to upside to said as high as 620 area, are you going keep riding it out or sell out and buy lower?

I never wish to find myself in a position where I sell all my TSLA, even on a big run higher. I would probably sell a few 200-strike leaps and then hope to rebuy shares at a lower price. If I guess wrong, ,my holdings are still pretty much intact, and I wouldn't miss out. That said, everything I do is calibrated by my level of conviction.

mar30chart.JPG

TSLA chart (above)

mar30qqq.JPG

QQQ chart (above)

Over the weekend the market shrugged off its pessimism and today was a strong macro day, with both the Dow and NASDAQ up over 3%. Is there some reason why TSLA should be performing poorly today? News was scarce. Probably the most negative news was a post from Adam Jonas of Morgan Stanley that he is expecting 88K deliveries from Tesla in Q1, down from the approx 97K Factset deliveries for TSLA. Huh? Not even our biggest bulls are looking anywhere near 97K deliveries for TSLA after the virus disruptions in second half of March.

Looking at the daily chart at top, both QQQ and TSLA stasrted out with positive trading leading into market open. From there, the two diverged significantly as QQQ rose throughout the day and TSLA did a magnificent cliffdive shortly after 9:30am in a Mandatory Morning Dip that would make longtime manipulators proud. I see more stalagtites in the chart than you'll find in Carlsbad Caverns, and so I truly think we are seeing an organized bear attack here. Notice the 106K shares traded at 4pm, 58K at 4:06pm, 85K at 4:07pm, 148K at 4:08pm,and 52K at 4:45pm. That's a lot of pre-arranged trades, which is typical of what we see after-hours when lots of shenanigans are afoot. My guess is that the manipulators are looking to play the P&D report results on Thursday, with a further push downward on Friday if the results are ambiguous or negative. Judging from the FactSet fantasy expectations, I'm thinking they'll get their opportunity. Consequently, I may play the short-term dip with some trading shares. I would probably rebuy at Friday's low.

Looking at specifics on the TSLA daily chart, you can see a deep MMD that approached 492, an immediate rebound, and then two hours of multiple pushdowns to 500 with rebounds to 504 to 505. At about 11:15am TSLA shrugged off the dip and began a climb that reached the green in early afternoon. Alas, constant pressure on the stock eventually led it to a dip into close just above 500.

On the positive side, volume was a mere 11.3 million shares today. This low volume suggests investors are simply holding to ride out the crazy trading today.

mar30short.png

TSLA shorts were tagged with 57.3% of selling today

mar30tech.png

Looking at the tech chart, you can see the V-shaped recovery has been interrupted as expected and the constant decline in volume that has taken place over the last 6 or 7 trading sessions.

Conditions:
* Dow up 691 (3.19%)
* NASDAQ up 272 (3.62%)
* TSLA 502.13, down 12.23 (2.38%)
* TSLA volume 11.3M shares
* Oil 20.48
* Percent of TSLA selling tagged to shorts: 57.3%

Consequently, I may play the short-term dip with some trading shares. I would probably rebuy at Friday's low.
Can you elaborate on this short term play?
Some position in short or Put into Friday. And then re-buy stock if there is weakness after P&D numbers are released?

Based on the how uneventful TSLA stock has been compared to Nasdaq, I believe it will be another position day tomorrow in overall market, I believe it should at least be able to gain back some grounds to 550 area or more. We shall see how this plays out but really disheartening to see how shorts are keeping SP price down in this bounce market.

Reactions: Char
View attachment 527665
TSLA chart (above)

View attachment 527666
QQQ chart (above)

Over the weekend the market shrugged off its pessimism and today was a strong macro day, with both the Dow and NASDAQ up over 3%. Is there some reason why TSLA should be performing poorly today? News was scarce. Probably the most negative news was a post from Adam Jonas of Morgan Stanley that he is expecting 88K deliveries from Tesla in Q1, down from the approx 97K Factset deliveries for TSLA. Huh? Not even our biggest bulls are looking anywhere near 97K deliveries for TSLA after the virus disruptions in second half of March.

Looking at the daily chart at top, both QQQ and TSLA stasrted out with positive trading leading into market open. From there, the two diverged significantly as QQQ rose throughout the day and TSLA did a magnificent cliffdive shortly after 9:30am in a Mandatory Morning Dip that would make longtime manipulators proud. I see more stalagtites in the chart than you'll find in Carlsbad Caverns, and so I truly think we are seeing an organized bear attack here. Notice the 106K shares traded at 4pm, 58K at 4:06pm, 85K at 4:07pm, 148K at 4:08pm,and 52K at 4:45pm. That's a lot of pre-arranged trades, which is typical of what we see after-hours when lots of shenanigans are afoot. My guess is that the manipulators are looking to play the P&D report results on Thursday, with a further push downward on Friday if the results are ambiguous or negative. Judging from the FactSet fantasy expectations, I'm thinking they'll get their opportunity. Consequently, I may play the short-term dip with some trading shares. I would probably rebuy at Friday's low.

Looking at specifics on the TSLA daily chart, you can see a deep MMD that approached 492, an immediate rebound, and then two hours of multiple pushdowns to 500 with rebounds to 504 to 505. At about 11:15am TSLA shrugged off the dip and began a climb that reached the green in early afternoon. Alas, constant pressure on the stock eventually led it to a dip into close just above 500.

On the positive side, volume was a mere 11.3 million shares today. This low volume suggests investors are simply holding to ride out the crazy trading today.

View attachment 527731
TSLA shorts were tagged with 57.3% of selling today

View attachment 527667
Looking at the tech chart, you can see the V-shaped recovery has been interrupted as expected and the constant decline in volume that has taken place over the last 6 or 7 trading sessions.

Conditions:
* Dow up 691 (3.19%)
* NASDAQ up 272 (3.62%)
* TSLA 502.13, down 12.23 (2.38%)
* TSLA volume 11.3M shares
* Oil 20.48
* Percent of TSLA selling tagged to shorts: 57.3%

My brother soulpdl turned me on to you. You are awesome. I have been in Ameritrade day trading jail for about 2 weeks now. I had to pay cash for my Tesla model 3 with FSD two weeks ago because my car loan fell through. If I would have waited one more day I would have lost the car vin and the $6000 FSD. I assumed that my 5th day trade was over on the Friday starting a new 5 day trade limit the following Monday. I read the rules just after they "locked me up"...lol and discovered that it's a rolling 5 business days with an irrelevant weekend. I started doing taxes for a living while I was a racehorse jockey by the way. Now I just do taxes hoping for my next career to be an AWESOME trader like you. Right now I am 68 years old and haven't been on a racehorse for 25 years. When I retired as a jockey at 44 years old I started juggling. For 10 years I was a juggling clown while doing taxes. Now in my advanced years I still juggle and ride my unicycle at the same time every day. My real name is Robert D'Amours. You can see pictures on my facebook page. Oh yes I bought the Tesla with money I made with the recent run up using only options.

My brother soulpdl turned me on to you. You are awesome. I have been in Ameritrade day trading jail for about 2 weeks now. I had to pay cash for my Tesla model 3 with FSD two weeks ago because my car loan fell through. If I would have waited one more day I would have lost the car vin and the $6000 FSD. I assumed that my 5th day trade was over on the Friday starting a new 5 day trade limit the following Monday. I read the rules just after they "locked me up"...lol and discovered that it's a rolling 5 business days with an irrelevant weekend. I started doing taxes for a living while I was a racehorse jockey by the way. Now I just do taxes hoping for my next career to be an AWESOME trader like you. Right now I am 68 years old and haven't been on a racehorse for 25 years. When I retired as a jockey at 44 years old I started juggling. For 10 years I was a juggling clown while doing taxes. Now in my advanced years I still juggle and ride my unicycle at the same time every day. My real name is Robert D'Amours. You can see pictures on my facebook page. Oh yes I bought the Tesla with money I made with the recent run up using only options.

By the way I bought the Tesla to be an Uber driver. As soon as I have some spare time after tax season is over I will get to meet all these fun people and really enjoy their Company without having to worry about the driving part. I will bring all my juggling toys with me to entertain my Lyft clients and explain to the Trumpanzees about climate change. I will post on my facebook soon me juggling WHILE driving my Tesla.....lol. Still learning how to drive the car and not get kicked off of for no hands driving.

Reactions: navguy12
By the way I bought the Tesla to be an Uber driver. As soon as I have some spare time after tax season is over I will get to meet all these fun people and really enjoy their Company without having to worry about the driving part. I will bring all my juggling toys with me to entertain my Lyft clients and explain to the Trumpanzees about climate change. I will post on my facebook soon me juggling WHILE driving my Tesla.....lol. Still learning how to drive the car and not get kicked off of for no hands driving.
Hi Rob,
Congrats on your Model 3. In a year or 2. Tesla Uber network will be up & running and also once full self-driving is approved in your region, you can eventually send your Model 3 out as Robo-taxi and not be driving around yourself. (this probably would take longer perhaps around 3-5 years.
Day trading is not easy so be careful, manage your risk and position size, especially in the current volatile market.

Hi Rob,
Congrats on your Model 3. In a year or 2. Tesla Uber network will be up & running and also once full self-driving is approved in your region, you can eventually send your Model 3 out as Robo-taxi and not be driving around yourself. (this probably would take longer perhaps around 3-5 years.
Day trading is not easy so be careful, manage your risk and position size, especially in the current volatile market.

I actually bought the car to be a robotaxi. I believe that as we get closer to FSD auto pilot will get more and more expensive. I also believe that once they get it right Tesla will stop selling the cars and only do robotaxis. Why sell a $50,000 asset that can produce $30,000 a year profit?

Not to be rude, but posts unrelated to Papafox's daily trading posts are usually done in the other threads such as the roundtable. If there is a specific point that you guys wish to discuss, I believe Papafox stated you can simply tag him in those threads, thus keeping this thread mostly free of other discussions.

Not rude at all. Just learning how this web site works.

Thanks @BLSmith2112 for explaining the rules and welcome new visitors. I move my money around with TSLA a bit, but most remains as buy and hold in shares and leaps.

Today I did sell some trading shares, thinking the FactSet numbers are too high and we might see a push downward on the P&D report. Otherwise, I remain long and strong. Bob Mauer of Tesla Daily gave some good reasons why the P&D Report might be put out Friday instead of Thursday, and if it is released on Friday after closing, that reduces the ability to manipulate going into Friday's options close.

mar31chart.JPG

TSLA chart above

mar31qqq.JPG
QQQ chart above (note: the scale of price movement is exaggerated on the QQQ chart, relative to TSLA's movements)

What a day to see TSLA change from a laggard to the broader indexes yesterday to a bastion of strength. Here are suggested explanations.

Leading into market open, both TSLA and QQQ took a dip. Once the market trading began, though, TSLA zoomed higher while QQQ dipped beyond 10am before climb a bit as well. QQQ took a dip into close but TSLA only showed a limited reaction to that NASDAQ dip before closing up more than 4%.

One of the most noteworthy developments today was a volume of 1.5 million shares in the final 4:00pm minute. Yes, you heard that right. What do we make of all this? Analysts were being negative on TSLA for the most part, but one has to smile when JMP Security's Joe Osha lowers his price target on TSLA from $1080 to $840. That $840 is not exactly a number that bring fears to longs. The piece of news that I think was most helpful was a Tweet referenced by this Teslarati article that says China will extend certain incentives to EVs for another 2 years. For this reason, I wouldn't be surprised if Chinese buyers were picking up TSLA today, owing to their confidence that GF3 is going to be producing lots of Teslas in 2020 that will be scooped up by the Chinese market.

An alternate explanation for TSLA's strength today was this post by Curt Renz that today being the last day of the quarter saw fund managers rebalancing to add successful stocks such as TSLA to their portfolios on the final day of the quarter.

It'll be pretty easy to select a winner from the two explanations because if the buying disappears tomorrow we can assume Curt was right and if the buying continues then the Chinese subsidy extension looks to be the best explanation.

mar31tech.png

Looking at the tech chart, you can see that the lower bollinger band has started bending upwards, which is a good sign. It'll be nice to get the lower bb above 383 because then the lower bb and the 200 day moving average could make for nice support.

Where do we go from here? Clearly, the buying we saw today overrode any mischief the manipulators could dole out. If the same happens tomorrow, TSLA continues to rise. If not, then the manipulators resume their sordid business this week. It's good to know, however, that when buyers return the manipulators get moved to a back seat in this game. I sold some trading shares today, still expecting a P&D report dip (because it looks like there's mischief afoot by no changes yet to the TSLA FactSet Q1 delivery numbers of 97K). Looking at the 4:00pm volume of 1.5 million shares, however, I realize I may regret that short-term trade if the buying continues unabated tomorrow.

Late in the day, Cathie Wood of ARK Investing release this youtube.com video in which she talks macros. about 12 minutes into the video she suggests that in a few weeks to a month from now when the CV19 crisis clears, we'll be looking at a V-shaped recovery of the macros.

Conditions:
* Dow down 410 (1.84%)
* NASDAQ down 74 (0.95%)
* TSLA 524.00, up 21.87 (4.36%)
* TSLA volume 16.6M shares
* Oil 20.21
* Percent of TSLA selling tagged to shorts: 56.5%

Last edited:
apr1chart.JPG

Above: TSLA

apr1qqq.JPG

Top: TSLA, Below it: QQQ

Today was a tough day for macros as both the Dow and NASDAQ closed down more than 4.4%. TSLA ended the day down a full 8.10%, but it need not have been so bad. Let me explain. For most of the day, TSLA was trading at about a 1.5 or 1.6X multiple to QQQ, but something interesting happened at 1:31pm and the next three minutes: selling picked up immensely to 61K shares during those 3 minutes. These kind of selling rampages when there's no news and no macro dip typically take place in afternoon hours when volume is down and manipulations are easier. Someone with a reason to see TSLA go lower might have been watching the order book for TSLA and saw demand thin enough at that moment so that an attack was warranted. In less than 10 minutes TSLA lost $8. There was a rebound to the icicle dip, a second icicle, and a second rebound. At 1:49am fully 44K of shares were sold to try to push the second icicle lower but it didn't work. Unfortunately for TSLA, at 2:00pm QQQ started down and TSLA, already weakened from the double-dip bear attack, followed at accelerated pace. For the full day, TSLA closed about 1.8X further down than QQQ.

TSLA pretty much stopped its descent at about 3:11pm. Why here? TSLA was approaching 9% down, and I think manipulators didn't want to see it touch 10% and put alternative uptick rule into effect. Thus, as the macros continued to descend, TSLA did not. QQQ bottomed out at 3:43pm. Coincidence? I think not.

As you know, I've been suggesting that hedge funds or other manipulators have been pushing TSLA down this week in various manipulations with a possible eye on the 1Q P&D report, due out any day now. Originally, FactSet had deliveries at 97K, then Rob Maurer said the number was 91.6K, and today in this tweet, Gene Munster suggested The Street is at 79.9K. If analysts are really expecting less than 80K deliveries, there's a reasonable chance of beating that number, with Troy saying 83K and more bullish TSLA observers saying high 80s. The game here, though, is manipulation, and manipulation loves ambiguity because it can be molded just about however you want. So, if you see numbers that look fairly good and there's a sell the news, nonetheless, it could be the manipulators jumping in quickly to define the ambiguous results as a negative. This could actually be a buying opportunity, however, because in time the market realizes those numbers weren't so bad and bids the price up. Thus, I'll be watching for the numbers to come out and seeing if an overreaction on the selling side takes place (which would signal a buying opportunity). Caution, though, as the situation in New York won't bottom out for another couple of weeks and a real recovery likely won't take place until after New York starts improving.

Dave Lee has a more conservative target in his video on Q1 P&D report

Initial results from Europe are looking fairly good for TSLA. That could bode well for the P&D report and might make this type of manipulative dip hard to maintain.

apr1munster.JPG

Meanwhile, Gene Munster's 57K is absurdly low

So, what's the prize for a successful manipulation this week? There really aren't many large call option expirations still in play. For example, the 500 strike price only has 1.86K options out there. What has happened is that option buyers have stopped buying the big, round number options in many cases because the manipulations have so often targeted these popular strike prices that the smarter money now buys other options. Don't believe me? Look at how spread out the option prices are that expire Friday and are reasonably close to in the money. There are some rather large put quantities out there, however, with nearly 4K of 500 strike puts and more than 4K of 450 strike puts set to expire. I remember a recent CNBC interview of Chamath Palihapitiya when he said some hedge funds were leveraged over 10X and one had more than a trillion dollars of trading power. You think you might be able to manipulate TSLA when you're that big a dog? I suspect you could.The wild thing is that with TSLA looking so strong in the future, there's nothing to keep a big dog manipulator from switching sides and after collecting on the purchased puts plus earnings from shorting TSLA down into the mid-400s start acquiring TSLA for the ride back up. After all, there's no SEC to worry about.

apr1opri.png

Here's the opricot.com max pain chart for Friday

apr1short.png

With an increase in manipulations you'd expect a bump up in percent of selling by shorts, and that's just what we saw today with TSLA shorts tagged with 60.9% of selling

apr1tech.png

The lower bollinger band is now rising, which is good, and with the upper bb still above 715 there's all the headroom this stock needs. Most pertinent information today in the chart is the low volume, a mere 13.3M shares for a 42 point dip. I suspect much of the selling in the afternoon was market makers trying to catch up to a neutral stance after the push down.

I'm going to be watching TSLA carefully to close out my short term trade from a few days ago. The ambiguity about what the analysts are expecting from TSLA makes the legitimate response to the P&D report very hard to predict. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a manipulative downward push initially, followed by a more legitimate upward push. This is one report you need to be on your toes to trade. Good luck!

Conditions:
* Dow down 974 (4.44%)
* NASDAQ down 340 (4.41%)
* TSLA 481.56, down 42.44 (8.10%)
* TSLA volume 12.9M shares
* Oil 21.23
* Percent of TSLA selling tagged to shorts: 60.9%

Last edited:
apr2chart.JPG

Congratulations longs, Tesla pulled off delivery numbers that were higher than expected, and the stock price responded appropriately.

The NASDAQ was up for most of the day and with a last-minute spurt it closed up 1.72%. Unfortunately, we saw the usual manipulation signs, with a pre-open pushdown, a Mandatory Morning Dip, whack-the-mole throughout the morning, and then as we entered the typically lower-volume afternoon hours the afternoon pushdown began as we've seen so often in recent days. Much of the undeserved downward push came after Jim Chanos appeared on CNBC and revealed that he is still maximum short on TSLA (his TSLA position is limited to 5% of the fund). TSLA ended the day down more than 5.5% on no news of consequence and on a big up day for the macros.

apr2nas.png

The NASDAQ dipped into negative territory twice but managed to still close up 1.72%

Not long after market close, Tesla released the Q1 P&D report, which showed 88,400 vehicles delivered and very respectable production (given the early shutdown) of 102K.

results.png

As you can see from after-hours trading, the market was happy with the numbers. Notice a few "pauses" on the stock's climb and a short period of capping around 500. If you planned to buy, these were your best opportunities. The cap was broken and TSLA climbed to 544 before retreating a bit. At 8pm it stood at about 535.

apr2reuters.JPG
As you know, I was concerned because an ambiguous delivery number combined with multiple expectation numbers could have led to a short-seller induced dip to try and convince the market that the results were disappointing. Reuters was standing by to call the P&D Report results a miss (see headline above), and they were using 93,399 as their expectation.

apr2cnbc.png
Meanwhile, Phil LeBeau of CNBC called the deliveries a beat, using the 79K numbers.

apr2opri.png

Tomorrow will be a fun day with TSLA, don't miss it.

Looking at the opricot.com max pain chart, you can see:
* Nearly 6K calls at 600-strike, so there's going to be too much defense being played for the stock to close above that amount, imho.
* More than 3K calls at 550-strike, so there will be a real effort to get TSLA below that number before close.
* 5K calls at 500, but I think the sellers of those calls lack the horsepower to get down that low. These holders should be comfortably in the money

Watch for some piece of FUD as a desperate attempt to save Friday.

On a personal note, I chose to close my short-term trade by rebuying 100 shares of TSLA not long after open, at 470. I wish I had waited until afternoon, because with the manipulation (I mean trading /s) patterns of TSLA we've mostly been seeing the lows in the afternoons. In my defense, it was not even 4am here in Hawaii, my 50 State Tesla dog Iceman was giving me stinkeye for interrupting his beauty sleep, and so I bought the shares and went back to bed.

Congrats to all.

Conditions:
* Dow up 470 (2.24%)
* NASDAQ up 127 (1.72%)
* TSLA 454.47, down 27.09 (5.63%)
* TSLA volume 15.9M shares
* Oil 24.09
* Percent of TSLA selling tagged to shorts: 60.5%

Last edited:
apr3chart.JPG

TSLA daily chart above
apr3qqq.JPG

QQQ daily chart above

In pre-market trading Friday, we saw TSLA reach 530 before losing ground. Since I believe that various parties had been manipulating TSLA for several days to set it up for a low Friday options close (and setting themselves up with sold calls, purchased puts, or shares sold short), it was not surprising to see a manipulated response to the big rise in Thursday's after-hours trading. Quite simply, the manipulation itself on a Friday push-down can be very lucrative (excluding one's existing positions) if one starts shorting the stock near the top and then sees a market response to continue the downtrend (which is what I think happened).

As with many recent manipulations, we saw a decline start in the low-volume pre-market environment to set expectations of what would transpire once the market opened. When the market opened, TSLA was trading just a shade under 510, and 13 minutes later it was approaching 493, a dip of some $17. That's a rate of decline of more than $1 per minute. High volume of trading was needed to counteract buying generated by the good news of Tesla's 88.4K delivery numbers.

Once the downtrend became established during market hours, the decline became self-perpetuating for the most part as:
1) macros started dipping quickly around 10:15am
2) traders began selling on recognition of a local high already having been reached, with plans to rebuy later
3) legitimate longs took some money off the table in recognition that the next week to two weeks will be a tough time for the virus news in the United States

Looking at the TSLA daily chart, you can see reversals where the stock tried to climb. Look at the volume that follows and you'll see a pick up in the volume to reestablish the downtrend. I believe this is manipulators managing the trend to keep it on track.

After the macros bottomed out around 2pm, TSLA did too and recovered about $10 before end of day. Notice the very significant recovery of QQQ in the final 15 minutes of the day and notice how this recovery was not reflected in TSLA trading but volume increased with TSLA instead. I think the volume increase was due to hedge funds and market makers selling to cap the TSLA rise into close.

Looking at predictions of production and deliveries, Rob Maurer of Tesla Daily came extremely close on both. Here's a tweet to Rob from Troy Teslike, congratulating him on his accuracy. We'll need to give Rob's estimates a serious look in future quarters.
apr3estimates.JPG

apr3short.jpg

TSLA shorts were tagged with 59.4% of selling today, continuing the trend of likely high manipulations

apr3tech.JPG

Looking at the tech chart, notice the robust recovery of the lower bollinger band. We'd like to see it rise to the 200 day moving average line to help define a nice support point in case the macros do something funky during the next week to two weeks.

Make no mistake, Q1 P&D report numbers were very encouraging. They showed that TSLA was on track for an excellent quarter if not for the disruptions during the final half of March. The implication is that before Covid-19 hit, Tesla showed that Q1 of 2019 was an anomaly, and that even the historically slow Q1 of an automaker's year, one without help from U.S. subsidies, could be robust and profitable.

Moreover, analysts plugged the production and delivery numbers into their speadsheets and some, such as Deutsche Bank, are now predicting a small profit for Tesla in Q1. What's the implication of a possible profit announced by Tesla in late April? I would say it will help TSLA fight the downward forces we may see in the macro world until the daily deaths in New York have bottomed out and are improving. This significant pain in New York is a "lump" I've been predicting all along. Because of the chance of a profit, many investors will want to be holding shares and call options when the Q1 ER occurs. Consider, too, this Tesla is Crushing the Auto Industry post by Gene Munster. He is showing that Tesla's demand has been increasing compared to competitors and on so many metrics Tesla keeps pulling farther ahead than other auto makers. For these reasons, I think the short-term safety net under TSLA has been strengthened.

Monday may be free from the ferocious pressure of manipulators on a Friday, and so if the macros are up we might see a chance for the stock to recover some of Friday's dip.

For the week, TSLA closed at 480.01, down 34.35 from last week's 514.36. That's a 6.7% dip for the week compared to the NASDAQ's 1.7% dip in a week with overall good news for Tesla. Hmm.

Conditions:
* Dow down 361 (1.69%)
* NASDAQ down 114 (1.53%)
* TSLA 480.01, up 25.54 (5.62%)
* TSLA volume 22.2M shares
* Oil 28.34
* Percent of TSLA selling tagged to shorts: 59.4%

The Big Picture

We're now heading into the "max pain" week or two for New York's exposure to Covid-19. So far reports from New York indicate hospitals are able to handle the inflow and we have not run out of ventilators so far. Knock on wood; the type of situation we saw in Italy with the volume of infected overwhelming the health care system has so far been avoided. I believe the market will give a sigh of relief once the daily deaths in New York peaks.

I'm not dismissing the challenges ahead, but I see reasons for a better recovery than some expect. Here's why.

Once the U.S. has seen a light at the end of the tunnel in New York, the next question is: How long will this pandemic run? Some are predicting up to four cycles of the virus in the U.S. with longtime effect on the economy. I take a more optimistic view. At one point, pessimists in New York saw a cap on New York's ability to expand business because the horse manure on the streets would get so deep the streets would become unusable for travel. We know that point never arrived because technology stepped in and with the introduction of the automobile the horse manure problem went away. I see similar help from technology as America mobilizes its entrepreneurs and addresses the Covid-19 problem. Consider this progression:
* Masks and PPEs for healthcare providers will be manufactured from new sources and an adequate number will be made available
* Available Covid-19 tests will increase dramatically as new companies are approved by the FDA
* Sufficiently-accurate antibody tests will become available. Antibody tests are important because:
a) they will help us understand what portion of the population out there has already had the virus
b) they will identify individuals who have already had the virus who can then
1- donate plasma with their antibodies to greatly enhance the chances of survival for patients with most severe cases
2- return to work and whether in health care of elsewhere these people can be put in positions of maximum interaction with others and safely perform their duties
* April is the month when we start to see large double-blind studies of therapeudics such as Remdesivir and Hydroxychloroquine released. Many doctors are not using these potentially helpful drugs because there are restrictions on how they can be used, and those restrictions are related to a lack of carefully conducted tests. Once one or more of these drugs is shown to be both safe and effective for treatment, use of the drugs will increase and (provided there's significant benefit) fewer patients will require hospitalization and ventilators, fewer will die, and those treated should recover sooner (which not only helps them but also helps prevent transmission of the disease).
* Seasonal viruses such as the flu are adversely affected by temperature. This is why flues typically fade away during summer. Some data so far suggests coronavirus will also be adversely-affected by higher summer temperatures, giving the Northern Hemisphere's inhabitants a nice break from the virus's ability to quickly spread.
* Additional therapeudics such as one for killing head lice and another for treating pancreatitis may show promise on Covid-19. Investigations are underway now.
* Artificially-created antibodies have already been sent to the military for testing. These engineered antibodies for Covid-19 could become available for use as early as this summer. They last up to 8 weeks, initially could protect our healthcare workers, but could be expanded if deemed safe and effective to allow employees to return safely back to work.
* Several vaccines have already been created, with at least one or two already in human trials. Although the trials time is normally 12-18 months, don't be surprised to see efforts to expedite these vaccines during the Covid-19 crisis.

Thus, from all these advancements, I see the Covid-19 picture continuing to improve and with each major step forward the market will become more comfortable with starting to look beyond the crisis.

Have a great weekend and continue to stay safe. Better days lay ahead. Below I include a photo I took this morning at sunrise.

apr3sunrise.jpg

Last edited: