Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paradigm Shift Happening with My Driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
......but maybe related to being able to go 0-100 in 3 seconds flat!!
I got really, really excited there for a moment, then realized you meant kilometers per hour and not miles per hour.

And I too would try to pick the "best" lane where I could get past slower drivers as quickly as possible. On road trips, I'd focus on getting to the destination in a specific amount of time, and knew exactly where I was "supposed" to be after 90 minutes, 3 hours, etc.. Having to take supercharger breaks really changed that way of thinking, forcing me to leave home a bit earlier or otherwise pad my schedule so I'm not cutting my travel time down to the last possible minute. As a result, I'm far less stressed when I arrive. I also find that I can let the car worry about keeping a safe distance from the vehicle in front of me, and that greatly lowers stress as well.

One of the attractions and my desire to get a Tesla was the ability of the drivetrain to make me an even more efficient (read faster) driver. Much like the OP and others, I fall into the "A" type driver personality and enjoy getting around the road hog, inattentive and slow driver.

Are you all saying that once I get my Tesla I will not want to take advantage of the instant torque and acceleration saving time and getting me out of the traffic sooner rather than later?

• Funny
Reactions: Bgarret
Are you all saying that once I get my Tesla I will not want to take advantage of the instant torque and acceleration saving time and getting me out of the traffic sooner rather than later?
Would you prefer to have a solution to a problem, or to not see the thing as a "problem" in the first place? :)
Tesla -- a higher plane of driving experience.

Had family in town last week. Was hoping upon hope that my X would be delivered in time for their visit. Alas, it wasn't (though supposedly it will be by end of the month).

Had to rent an SUV for all of us to fit for a road trip to LA and then around town. Was nicely upgraded to an Infiniti QX80 by Hertz. While it was as luxurious a rental I'd ever get (and it was a steal at the price I booked it for), I couldn't wait to be rid of it and go back to driving my S. I simply cannot drive an ICE unless absolutely necessary any more.

Would you prefer to have a solution to a problem, or to not see the thing as a "problem" in the first place? :)
Tesla -- a higher plane of driving experience.

Interesting perspective. If taken to its logical conclusion then, the Tesla is superfluous and overkill. Any EV with far less drivetrain (but self driving capability) would be sufficient to obtain a "solution" and "a higher plane of driving experience" as you describe or am I missing something?

A Tesla is different things to different people, but even for (most of) those who don't focus on the power
the mere presence of that power improves the experience even if it is rarely used. In the long, long term,
though, I would agree that focus on power/speed/etc. will increasingly be a throwback to ICE cars as the entire
paradigm of personal transportation shifts (as gradually as that may be).

Reactions: xrayvsn
It depends. The P85D is a freakin' race car, when I want it to be. Using AP makes me feel as if I can go where I want while sitting on my couch. One of the many virtues of this car is that I can toggle between the two depending on my mood.

And +1 to whoever said they wished their commute was longer. My normal drive is less than 2 miles. But when I drop the kids off at school its more like 20. These days I offer to drive the kids to school a lot more than I did pre-MS. My wife knows exactly why I'm volunteering but she doesn't argue because it means she gets to sleep in for a few more minutes. Win win! :D

A Tesla is different things to different people, but even for (most of) those who don't focus on the power
the mere presence of that power improves the experience even if it is rarely used. In the long, long term,
though, I would agree that focus on power/speed/etc. will increasingly be a throwback to ICE cars as the entire
paradigm of personal transportation shifts (as gradually as that may be).

I think we are on the same page. There will be an interesting dynamic going forward between transportation and enjoyment. Power and speed will be a throwback in the world of "personal transportation". Perhaps similar to what happened with horses.

The combination of getting older and the possibility that the car changes driving behavior I suppose I should consider a 90D instead of a P90D. Coming out of a Corvette makes this a difficult decision.

I suppose I should consider a 90D instead of a P90D
Have you done a test drive in one, the other, or both? As a (nearly brand-new) 90D owner I may be biased ;), but it is freakin'
awesome. I experienced Ludicrous Speed mode (in a P90D) as part of the test drive, and talk about "parlor trick" -- there's just no practical need for that. Of course, there's an obvious "practical need" for the 90D's ability to leave traditional muscle cars slack-jawed at the last light while you're already half way down the block ;):D

Have you done a test drive in one, the other, or both? As a (nearly brand-new) 90D owner I may be biased ;), but it is freakin'
awesome. I experienced Ludicrous Speed mode (in a P90D) as part of the test drive, and talk about "parlor trick" -- there's just no practical need for that. Of course, there's an obvious "practical need" for the 90D's ability to leave traditional muscle cars slack-jawed at the last light while you're already half way down the block ;):D

To P or not to 2P (or even L).
Yes, first world and personal finance problems.
I need to try them back to back. Is it true that there is a menu to select the performance characteristics of the "lesser" models?

To P or not to 2P (or even L).
Yes, first world and personal finance problems.
I need to try them back to back. Is it true that there is a menu to select the performance characteristics of the "lesser" models?
Yes. You press the "T" symbol on the touch screen for a few seconds and the enter the code "performance." It allows you to select the performance of any lesser model.

And an ICE. The chassis was designed with an ICE. Do you disagree? If not, that is my only point. If you do, then how is it dedicated BEV?

Agree to disagree. The i3 was designed to be electric. It was built to also accommodate a range extender by removal of a heat pump. I'd agree with you if the ICE connected to the wheels or was designed to be used as a primary mode of propulsion. It was designed as a get out of jail card. Lastly, please show me what other non BEV BMW uses this platform if it's not a true BEV. This was designed primarily as a BEV. Engineers were just smart enough to use the space savings for a secondary means of supplying enough power to make it to another charger. Which was a smart marketing gimmick as most i3s sold are Rex. Though most people don't use the ranger extender much at all

I agree with most people here... My Tesla is such a joy to drive, I am a little regretful when I get to my destination and have to get out of the car. I also find I'm a less aggressive driver and I think as others said, the joy of being in the car makes you more relaxed.

That said if I want to go fast and move around traffic with ease, I can't think of anything that beats my Tesla!

I'm not a huge fan of AP. I still love the joy of driving and AP drives like a granny and is not as responsive as I'd like it to be. However, on long stretches of the highway when there's nothing fun about holding the steering wheel straight, I do enable it and sit back and enjoy the ride.

I do wonder, for those who have owned performance, luxury vehicles, how does the Tesla handling (nimble, quick, responsive) compare?

Reactions: jgallops and ggnykk
I sound like a broken record, but I loathe driving my Ferrari California now. Feels broken. So sad, but true. Now, if I were to attend a track event more than once a decade might it be worth keeping? ...Nah.

So awesome to hear this! I love the typical response to something like this, "Yeah, but what can the Tesla do around a track? etc etc"

My Tesla has also ruined ICE cars for my wife. She has driven my Model S a few times and now her Porsche feels so sluggish and ancient to her. She said driving my car is like having superpowers, she can go wherever she wants on the road, whenever she wants. I am pushing for a Model X, we'll see how it goes!

Reactions: JenniferQ