Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parallel Autopark on model Y radar FSD Beta?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just updated to FSD beta on my model Y radar last week. Is parallel Autopark gone? (Perpendicular really has no use in the streets of Brooklyn). I had used the parallel version numerous times without issue. Now I don’t have the option on the screen. Is it not available on Vision FSD? Thanks!

Just updated to FSD beta on my model Y radar last week. Is parallel Autopark gone? (Perpendicular really has no use in the streets of Brooklyn). I had used the parallel version numerous times without issue. Now I don’t have the option on the screen. Is it not available on Vision FSD? Thanks!

Is that true? Wow. (I currently have FSD Beta 10.4 on my 2021 Model X, but have not tried to fruition all the features (Summon, Parallel Park, etc.) because, frankly, FSD scares me at low speeds on surface streets. Too jerky, indecisive, and error-prone. I don't want to risk my baby to dings or curb rash. Maybe I'd try automatic parking if I could find a test parking lot with 1/2-inch-high curbs and mock, made-of-foam "cars" in the adjacent stalls. :)

I did make sure automatic parking was available (i.e., the option came up on the forward screen under low speed conditions) when I first got the FSD-Beta download. But I never completed a full test. And I have not tried it recently.

Just for the record, I use and find FSD Beta 10.4 OK on limited-access, high-speed highways, just as it has always been since I first purchased FSD in April 2021 before the Safety Score madness and the recent bout of numeric Beta downloads. However, in those circumstances it may be mostly regular Autopilot features I am enjoying, I guess.

True Story: When I first drove a Model X from the Dublin, California Tesla Showroom in 2016, the salesman who accompanied me on the test drive had me try hands-free parallel parking on a local side street. As I recall, it worked great. I remember no problems, not being in any way being made nervous, and being left super impressed.

So if software for parallel parking was working so well in freaking 2016, why are we having so many problems now, five years later?

I have similar questions about early online FSD beta videos ostensibly showing extensive city and highway driving with little or no driver intervention. That has not been my experience, or the experience of many recent testers, apparently.

Is the FSD product we non-employee testers have now somehow less good then what used to be available?

Last edited:

I just subscribed to FSD a little over 5 weeks ago, and I didn't have the chance to try any of the parking features. However, I got into the FSD Beta program about 3 weeks and after that I noticed that it was constantly asking me if I wanted to back into parking spaces in parking lots, using vision and just the parking space lines.

It actually does really well with that. It has even backed into a space with a car on one side. (I haven't tried backing in between two cars yet.)

I has also asked me if I wanted to parallel park, but I haven't needed to, yet.

Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 7.38.57 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352
I just subscribed to FSD a little over 5 weeks ago, and I didn't have the chance to try any of the parking features. However, I got into the FSD Beta program about 3 weeks and after that I noticed that it was constantly asking me if I wanted to back into parking spaces in parking lots, using vision and just the parking space lines.

It actually does really well with that. It has even backed into a space with a car on one side. (I haven't tried backing in between two cars yet.)

I has also asked me if I wanted to parallel park, but I haven't needed to, yet.

View attachment 735830
Thanks! Maybe it was just how I lined up for the parallel spots. Brooklyn drivers get impatient when you take more than 3 seconds to line up.

Thanks! Maybe it was just how I lined up for the parallel spots. Brooklyn drivers get impatient when you take more than 3 seconds to line up.
Good lord, you use an auto park system in Brooklyn? You’re a patient soul. Any auto park system my cars have had (Chevy Volt, Lexus, Honda, and now my 3) I’ve used only occasionally for the novelty and enjoyment, otherwise they all take waaaaaaaaaaay too long for me, especially the perpendicular parking systems (which are, imo, basically useless in busy parking lots since they’ve all required me to slowly drive past a spot before they recognize it, and were all sloooooooooow in reversing, which leaves the spot vulnerable to getting snatched by a person behind you who assumes the guy who drove past the obvious empty spot didn’t need it). I’m not even all that great at parallel parking, but I feel better doing it myself.

Yeah, I used to use Autopark daily to back into a perpendicular spot in an apartment garage. Worked like a charm. Actually seemed to get better with time if that's possible. I'd just pull past my spot and throw it into reverse and the Start button would pop up. Since the update to 2021.36.8.5 the Start button never shows up. I've tried a couple of times on the street in obvious parallel parking situations as well - same result. It seems like they just removed the feature all-together. Does anybody with 36.8.5 still have Autopark capability?

Good lord, you use an auto park system in Brooklyn? You’re a patient soul. Any auto park system my cars have had (Chevy Volt, Lexus, Honda, and now my 3) I’ve used only occasionally for the novelty and enjoyment, otherwise they all take waaaaaaaaaaay too long for me, especially the perpendicular parking systems (which are, imo, basically useless in busy parking lots since they’ve all required me to slowly drive past a spot before they recognize it, and were all sloooooooooow in reversing, which leaves the spot vulnerable to getting snatched by a person behind you who assumes the guy who drove past the obvious empty spot didn’t need it). I’m not even all that great at parallel parking, but I feel better doing it myself.
😆. Yes, on the driver's side. I think I have muscle memory when parking parallel on the passenger side, but the one way roads and parking on the left still get me sometimes. I'll use a crutch if I have it. 😊

... Does anybody with 36.8.5 still have Autopark capability?

Yes, I have 36.8.5, and I use the perpendicular Autopark capability almost everyday. The Start button almost always shows up for me (9 times out of 10), and then almost all those times, it works reasonably quick. Depending on where I stopped in relation to the closest spot, it may have to pull forward once, while it's halfway in the spot, to straighten up. Other times, it just backs right in.

I did have an interesting failure today, where I thought it was going to work, and it got halfway into the spot and then said "Autopark Canceled", because the rear view camera was partially obscured from where I had driven in the rain.