Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parallel Parking Implementation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a little worried that I've never actually heard Tesla mention this feature. Every time they talk about self parking they talk about it being in your garage, a low end Ford can parallel park itself, but Tesla doesn't seem to have even mentioned this as a coming feature. Have I missed an announcement somewhere?

Hmmm...not impressive. But also not impressive was that after a full weekend driving the car, the reviewer still did not know some basic facts about the i3. He said he did not know if the car had its own cell data connection. Apparently he didn't bother to check that before filming.

It still astonishes me that for that price the i3 does not have a touchscreen interface, and the screen is so small. Touchscreens are not that expensive.

Thanks! I don't know how I missed that before, they certainly don't focus on that in their presentations, but I guess if a low end ford can do it, why dwell on it right?

I am a little worried how they'll handle the calendar integration part of that same paragraph on the website though as someone who has many appointments in my calendar, not all of which I take my car to, I only want it to pick the right ones... but that's a discussion for a different thread.

Websites, especially Tesla's, seem to have a way of changing. What I see today is....
Autopilot

Autopilot combines a forward looking camera, radar, and 360 degree sonar sensors with real time traffic updates to automatically drive Model S on the open road and in dense stop and go traffic. Changing lanes becomes as simple as a tap of the turn signal. When you arrive at your destination, Model S will both detect a parking spot and automatically park itself. Standard equipment safety features are constantly monitoring stop signs, traffic signals and pedestrians, as well as for unintentional lane changes.

Autopilot features are progressively enabled over time with software updates. The current software version is 6.2, adding automatic emergency braking and blind spot warning.

Autopilot
With Autopilot activated, Model S automatically follows the road, steering around curves and varying its speed to match the flow of traffic.

Lane Changing
Automatically change lanes by tapping the turn signal.

Safety
Aware of its surroundings, Model S warns you when merging into an occupied lane or approaching a stopped car too quickly. In emergency conditions, Model S safely brings itself to a full stop.

Autopilot Parking
Model S helps you find a parking spot and automatically parks in it. In the city, it will notify you when it finds a parallel parking spot, then control steering, acceleration and deceleration to back smoothly into it. When approaching a Supercharger station, Model S automatically parks in an open stall. Model S will even park itself in your garage at home.

With calendar syncing enabled, Model S checks current traffic conditions to determine how much time is needed to make your first meeting of the day. At the right time, it turns on the climate control and opens the garage door. On private property, Model S will even pull out of the garage and meet you at the curb.

I hope they get the parallel parking spot on, wouldn't want the embarrassment of the i3. :redface:
Maybe they should check it in the same place they attempted the parking with the i3.
Just kidding I'm sure they'll be thorough.

http://insideevs.com/bmw-i3-self-parking-gone-wrong-video/

Well guys, I have that car, the BMW i3' and am waiting on a P85D expected September.

the i3 is an awesome car and I have not had any problems using the self parking feature. I use it all the time. It is extremely quick and scary because it looks like it will hit the car next to you. But that is only because it gets itself into the tightest of tightest spots and does so quickly so you are not embarrassed about holding up the line of traffic behind you.

bottom line, if the Tesla can just mimic it, it will be 10 out of 10 in my books!

I hope they get the parallel parking spot on, wouldn't want the embarrassment of the i3. :redface:
Maybe they should check it in the same place they attempted the parking with the i3.
Just kidding I'm sure they'll be thorough.

http://insideevs.com/bmw-i3-self-parking-gone-wrong-video/

i don't think he was using it right, after the car found the park he would come to a complete stop - then for some unknown reason move forward a couple of feet, stop, then put the car into reverse.

I would love to see a comment from Ztrekus, who owns and drives one.
Hi Dborn

Actually I don't have a Tesla touchscreen to compare it with but I certainly don't feel that the BMW i3 is missing on that front. There is a big turning knob which also can be clicked in the four compass directions as well as being pressed (not to mention drawn on)

It is very intuitive and easy to use. My guess is that a touchscreen is better but it is unfair to compare the i3 to a Tesla. That would be like comparing Jim Kirk's Enterprise to Picards. No comparison there. But it beats every other car on the road. The i3 may be a poor cousin to the Tesla, but since Tesla is King, the i3 has quite a bit of standing...

p.s. The i3 has a webpage that works when the car is stopped. But that is where a big touchscreen would come in handy. It is so pathetically useless how it is I would simply use my phone

Maybe there is hope Tesla can implement a version like the i3 ... BMW must have got the ok to at least have that implementation.
Maybe we need to get up a petition to send to Tesla, far more effective i would guess than each of us trying to request this individually through servicehelp, although that is one avenue.....
I have sent it in as a feature request. Suggest everyone who wants this to do the same.

Last edited: