TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Parcel Shelf -- any way to make it lay flat?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by HankLloydRight, Mar 31, 2014.

1. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I ordered the Parcel Shelf since I thought I wanted some privacy for stuff in the hatch.. but sometimes I don't need/want it installed... and due to it's design, it won't fold flat, so it takes up a lot of space either in the rear seat or on the floor of the hatchback. It would be much better if I could lay it flat and load stuff on top of it.

Has anyone tried slicing the edge with the taught cloth at the hinge to release the folding pieces so it lays flat?

Thanks.

2. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Until someone who actually owns one - I don't - chimes in -

I thought the folded-up shelf was designed so that it fits nicely in the frunk. Not wholly flat, but reasonably unobtrusive.

3. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

If you don't have the rear facing kids seats, you can fold it in half and store it under the rear compartment if you don't need it temporarily.

4. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I haven't tried the frunk yet, but I will. I think it's too big, though.

I do have the rear-facing seats. Not that I have kids, it just came that way as an inventory car.

5. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

Fits in the frunk (at least on mine with the "full size" frunk). Later models may not

6. bob_p

bob_p Member

So far, I've only removed the parcel shelf when I have the rear seats folded flat - and the parcel shelf fits fine folded on the floor between the front and rear seats.

7. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Yes, but it doesn't fold flat, and when it's folded, it takes up a lot of volume in the back seat or on the floor -- not great if you have back seat passengers. It's really a lot of wasted space to have to store that thing somewhere. If it folded flat, it would take up almost no space on the floor of the hatch or in the frunk (if it fits there). It just seems like a really bad design to not have it fold flat for storage.

8. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I guess I'm not getting "fold flat"? Mine folds over on itself and is maybe an inch or two high. I typically lay it in the trunk (no kid seats) or flat on the back seat or the back floor. It's never been an inconvenience to me.

9. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

You must have an entirely different model. Mine (purchased 5 Dec 2013) is like the OP's. Doesn't fold anywhere near flat.

10. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Mine folds at about a 45 degree angle.

It's also a pretty flimsy piece of cloth covered cardboard for $250. I could have made one just like it for $30. If I knew what it was before I got it, I never would have bought it. It's really pretty crappy compared to some of the hard-shell, formed plastic and covered parcel shelves in other cars I've had, and what I was expecting. It's almost like an afterthought just thrown together.

11. Chris

Chris Member

Yeah mine is the same. We have the earlier version. Some owners had them replaced foc at service centers with the upgraded version (but only if they were broken...)

12. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Interesting. I just picked up my car in February, 2014. It was an inventory car, but I bought the parcel shelf "new" when I took delivery.

I'll have to enquire about the alternate style (new?) next time I'm in for service, but that's probably going to be a while. I may email my delivery guy and see what they have to say about it.

13. wcalvin

wcalvin Member

Cannot you flip it over, so the underside's tongue-in-grove sticks up? Ought to lay flat that way, though obscuring access to the hidden foot well.

14. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Not sure what you mean... there's no tongue-in-groove on mine. Without breaking the unit, there's no way to force it to lay flat.

15. LuckyLuke

LuckyLuke Model S P85DL

Took some pics of my shelf, it folds flat-ish, usually have it folded like the 2nd pic:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396456501.714545.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396456520.695478.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396456535.662545.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396456547.113225.jpg

16. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Yeah, I wish mine folded at least that flat. It doesn't. I'd like it totally flat, so I can put stuff on top of it without it breaking.

17. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Yeah, you guys are right. I didn't know they changed it. Mine lays completely flat when folded.

18. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Here's my shelf...
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396471976.927292.jpg

19. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

That's unacceptable!

20. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I'm tempted to run staples all along both sides of the inside folding edges, and then cut the cloth that keeps it from folding flat.

I just have to find so nice black staples.