Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parcel Shelf Arrives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Prime Mover

R Sport #1029; S #2117
Aug 3, 2010
Toronto, Canada
My Parcel Shelf has just been delivered, so I expect that others in Canada are receiving theirs as well.
I had not seen one before and had originally hoped it was some kind of roller shade that was unobtrusive when not in use. Instead the shelf is a bit invasive in the rear storage area.
It is amusing to me how I have liked the car as it was delivered with items missing and have been reluctant to add the features as they arrived.
When I found out that the rear child seats were not removeable and required surgery to the car, I stopped them from being installed. When the Performance spoiler arrived, I liked the clean lines of the car and wasn't sure that I wanted the addition of a black spoiler onto my Sig Red car (I went ahead with it). Now, the Parcel Shelf arrives and I am not sure I like it, but it can be easily removed if I don't want it.
The shelf arrived with the "WARNING: STRONG MAGNETIC FIELD" letter that US users have reported about, even though the new design of the shelf does not use any magnets. The letter does say it "may" contain magnets, but I'm not sure why they are still including the warning in the box. I am also a little miffed that the shelf does not fold fully back on itself but insteads hangs in the air at an angle. Picky-picky.

I emailed ownership last week to find out where my parcel shelf was. On Monday I final got an email back - with a tracking number. Clicked on the link and it said it had already been DELIVERED. Tesla is supposed to ship things to my office, not home, but it was apparently sitting on my front porch.

I got mine today. The FedEx guy played 'knock knock ginger" on me. There was a doorbell, and by the time I got there he was driving away :) I'm glad Tesla ships with them because they are the only couriers to actually make it to my rural residence...

I probably won't ever use the parcel shelf, but... never mind. I'm done complaining about Signatures.

FYI - If you want to store the parcel shelf in the car, it will fit in the footwell of the rear hatch if you fold the shelf back on itself. I usually store it with the pin side facing up towards the sky and with the pins and fold of the shelf towards the center of the car.

We have the rear kid seats and because it doesn't fold all the way flat, it acts as a slight foot support for the kids who's legs are not quite long enough to rest on the floor of the footwell without the parcel shelf there. I also throw the floor mat I bought from Tesla that fits in the foot well on top of the parcel shelf so the kids shoes don't dirty it up too much (But even when they do, it's not visible from the outside because their feet rest on the side of the parcel shelf that points down into the car when it's installed.