TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Parcel Shelf Attenuation

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Tacket, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Tacket

Tacket Member

Since the inside of the car is so quiet, every little rattle/squeak/etc including from stuff that I have stored in the trunk drives me nuts. Does anyone find that the parcel shelf attenuates sounds coming from the trunk??

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

It probably does, but I never heard any squeaks or rattles while I was waiting for delivery of the parcel shelf.

3. Twiddler

Twiddler Member

Absolutely. There have been times in which I have accidentally left the parcel shelf flipped up and noticed that even road noise from the rear wheels was slightly more noticeable. This was particularly true the one time that I left the lid off of the trunk well (where the fold away seats would otherwise be) and parcel shelf flipped up.

4. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

Same here.

5. Argelius

Argelius Member

I was going to ask the same thing. Thinking of getting the parcel shelf just for its (potential) rear wheel road noise suppression. So, I guess it does help a bit? (Too bad the price is crazy expensive for something that is now standard...)

6. Twiddler

Twiddler Member

Let's put it this way: if you were willing to pay for the studio sound, the parcel shelf should be a no-brainer :)

7. Argelius

Argelius Member

Your point is well-taken. ;-)

8. tomp

tomp Member

I'm a bit surprised we haven't seen more second-hand parcel shelves for sale since they started including it with the car. I'd love one, but no way I can justify $250 for it.

9. artsci

artsci Sponsor

My parcel shelf is being attenuated with leather that matches the car interior:)