TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Parcel Shelf? Do you need/want it?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by ddruz, Dec 18, 2012.

1. ddruz

ddruz Member

Since most all cars have shipped without the parcel shelf which will be forthcoming I'm wondering what owners feel about not having it.

Do you find you can live comfortably without the security the parcel shelf provides hiding items in the back? Are you inconvenienced by having to store items in the frunk you would normally put in back? Do you use a makeshift cover of some type to hide items in the back?

Basically, do you think the parcel shelf is as necessary as when you ordered it and how strongly would you recommend it to people configuring their cars?

2. dailydriver

dailydriver Member

It has made it very convenient for loading and unloading stuff and I probably won't use it whenever it does come in. I don't leave items back there too often so I have not been too concerned about the security aspect and having it "naked".

3. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

Not an issue. If I don't want something visible I put I in the covered footwell in the hatch.
    I do look forward to getting the parcel shelf. But I haven't missed having it at all in 3300 miles:)

4. Sparrow

Sparrow S105/ Roadster 189

For me I mostly look at the shelf as something that will make the back look more attractive. I haven't had an issue yet of hiding valuables yet. I also wonder if a small amount of noise might be hidden with the shelf in place.

5. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Don't miss it here... if It didn't come free with the car, I wouldn't bother buying it.

6. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

I just use the frunk for concealed storage.

7. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

It's not free with mine; is it free for Signature?

I don't have my car yet, but I anticipate it being useful when I have large item(s) that wouldn't fit in the frunk or the well. When traveling with several suitcase, I like to have them covered when we stop at a restaurant (or, I'm thinking, for charging), to shop, or whatever along the way.

8. jkirkebo

jkirkebo Model S P85+ VIN 14420 EU

It's not free for P-reservations, and I'm not ordering it. Wouldn't order it even if it was $9.95. All my previous ones from other cars has ended up in the attic stored permanently. I do not need to grow that collection further ;)

It just doesn't add any value for me. I don't leave vaulables in the car unattended, and it's just in the way when I need to load large things (which happen quite frequently).

9. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

+1 No question. I have the same collection dating back to the early 90's for my vehicles, AND my wife's vehicles.

10. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I miss it, or rather SWMBO misses it. Leaving a handbag or similar in the trunk is usually easy, just open the truck and leave it there. Having to open up the foot well and re-close that adds an extra operation.

11. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

+1. I also have a wind-deflector for a VW Eos if anyone's interested :) *

*Technically, that's in my 'must eBay some of the crap at some point before it becomes worthless' pile, rather than the attic.

12. strider

strider Active Member

Yep, not getting it here. The well in the rear and frunk offers plenty of space. I haven't noticed any "boominess" from the rear that some cars can get without a parcel shelf.

13. William13

William13 Member

It will decrease the noise of rocks being thrown by the rear wheels. This will be offset by the need to raise it up when putting something in the back.

14. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

I'll miss it in summer because stuff will get hot back there... oh nevermind, I won't miss it.

15. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

Coming from several Prius in my past, I'm buying it. I do wish it was more of a "window shade" style that retracts, like my Prius, but I'll deal with it.. I'm getting it, because I'm just so accustomed to a covered trunk area.

16. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Correction: Included or Required. Not free.

17. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

For me it is a business requirement as I'm an IT guy and I have to transport a lot of expensive equipment around each week. My car didn't ship with one but I am using a "loaner" until my actual one arrives.

18. joefee

joefee Over 2 Million TMC page views

I’ll miss it when I need it !

19. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Anyone willing to sell their unneeded "included" parcel shelf for $150?

20. Brian H

Brian H Banned

Someone claimed (don't know if it's true) the cargo net was "included" with the parcel shelf.