Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parcel Shelf? Do you need/want it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be nice to have the parcel shelf - people don't tend to break in if there isn't anything worth stealing in sight.

The other night I considered moving a black-colored bag to the frunk, but then I looked in from outside and it wasn't visible against the black carpet so I didn't bother.

Definitely need the parcel shelf for security. I have had my previous cars broken into in SF when something was visible to thieves. It is a big problem in major metropolitan areas but not in small towns and rural areas. I also wonder how long it is going to take TM to develop the new lighted sun visors promised by George Blankenship? The temp in the cars being delivered are a pathetic joke for a $100K luxury car.

[Mod note: Updated the thread title. Every time I saw the original one (What's it like living without a parcel shelf?), I thought 'oh the horror!' ... so I fixed it.]

My original thread title was exactly the question I wanted to ask: What is it like living without a parcel shelf? There have been other threads on whether you want or need one. My hypothesis is that most folks who have received their cars ordered the parcel shelf. But because they are not shipping yet we have a unique opportunity to ask people who want the parcel shelf what is it like without one? Could you live without it now that you've had the experience or do you still feel it is a necessity? This was the intent of my starting this thread, not the title it has been changed to or to where the thread may have drifted.

I would appreciate the thread title being reinstated as originally worded. Thank you.

There are two potential problems with no parcel shelf:

1. Stuff in the back is visible. However, there is a frunk and the covered space where the child seats fold into (assuming you don't have the child seats). So whether you can live with it or without it depends on the amount and size of stuff you carry around. I reckon that in most cases this problem can be solved without a parcel shelf.

2. The audio may be better with the parcel shelf because it reduces reflections. As no one has a parcel shelf, this question can't be answered yet.

My original thread title was exactly the question I wanted to ask: What is it like living without a parcel shelf? There have been other threads on whether you want or need one. My hypothesis is that most folks who have received their cars ordered the parcel shelf. But because they are not shipping yet we have a unique opportunity to ask people who want the parcel shelf what is it like without one? Could you live without it now that you've had the experience or do you still feel it is a necessity? This was the intent of my starting this thread, not the title it has been changed to or to where the thread may have drifted.

I would appreciate the thread title being reinstated as originally worded. Thank you.

The thread drifted from the very first response. How can people compare what it's like not having one if they've never had one? All people can answer is if 1) they originally expected to have one, and 2) if they still would want one after having done without.

It's a shelf.

At least you can hide your mess in the trunk when you have the parcel shelf.
I'm anyway ordering it bcs it just looks better. If I don't need it, I'll put it away, and include it when I eventually sell the car. I don't see it as a major investment but IMHO think it should be included in the first place.

I'm not sure if I should call it a parcel shelf, a privacy cover, a parcel cover, or trunk privacy cover. I'm not sure exactly how much my groceries need their privacy, but I still wanted one . . . so I got two pieces of foamboard from the art supply store, cut them to size, wrapped them with black fabric, and did some magic with a glue gun.

Maybe SoftAuthor at TeslaAccessories.com will make a better one, but I'm currently happy with my $23 investment . . . and my modest groceries have plenty of privacy!

I still want it, in part because when I go golfing I have my clubs, etc. in the back and would like to have them covered. Also was curious to see how it impacts the performance of the Sound Studio package. I wonder if part of the reason it is taking so long is because they are redesigning it, so that it does lift up when you open the trunk. Dare we be so fortunate.