Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parcel Shelf now included

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Parcel shelf now free and included with all Model S versions.

http://www.teslamotors.com/models/design

ParcelShelf.png

Last edited:
Whenever my past cars have had parcel shelves I've found them more trouble than they're worth and they end up sitting in my house somewhere. I just ordered on May 24th so suppose I could be bothered by this but, meh, I'm too excited about too much other stuff to worry about something that'll end up in the basement.

Whenever my past cars have had parcel shelves I've found them more trouble than they're worth and they end up sitting in my house somewhere. I just ordered on May 24th so suppose I could be bothered by this but, meh, I'm too excited about too much other stuff to worry about something that'll end up in the basement.

I, on the other hand, have always used them. I find they are helpful in concealing "stuff" I may have back there and also find it helps mute road/tire noise from the back of the car. Given that there are others out there that didn't pay for one and may now want one, you may be able to make a few bucks if you choose not to install it.

I, on the other hand, have always used them. I find they are helpful in concealing "stuff" I may have back there and also find it helps mute road/tire noise from the back of the car. Given that there are others out there that didn't pay for one and may now want one, you may be able to make a few bucks if you choose not to install it.

This is a biggie for me too. Also, it seems to keep the rear seats warmer in colder months. It does get in the way sometimes, but I've got the earlier version which folds flat, so I can stick it out the way quite easily.

Well, good. I paid for mine but always thought it was kinda expensive for what you get and really should have been included all along.

It's about time. I was joking that the parcel shelf was 'included' in my wife's Ford Focus Electric. That and it auto raises (i.e. has strings attached) when you open the hatch. Maybe in two more years Tesla can figure that one out.

but I've got the earlier version which folds flat, so I can stick it out the way quite easily.

Didn't realize there was a difference. I really never take mine out, and the rear-most section does flip completely forward and lies flat. What do the later versions do?

On a somewhat related note, I've had one or two vehicles in the past that used a kind of "roller-blind" like mechanism that would take up next to no room when retracted. Probably not as good for sound and temperature insulation, but would still make a good privacy cover.

Didn't realize there was a difference. I really never take mine out, and the rear-most section does flip completely forward and lies flat. What do the later versions do?

Apparently the other versions have fabric covering the "slit" where it folds, which stops it from folding completely flat (unless you slit the fabric there I suppose)

Apparently the other versions have fabric covering the "slit" where it folds, which stops it from folding completely flat (unless you slit the fabric there I suppose)
Mine was included and doesn't fold flat. Thanks for the suggestion on putting a slit in there! I'm forgetting to close it and I would rather it be fold flat rather than flapping in the wind when the windows are down.

I've had mine for almost a year and couldn't imagine my car without it. I love how it hides the contents of my trunk. The flap doesn't fold completely over, which is intentional. You don't want it to fold completely over when you are using it, you just want to flip it out of the way. It's easier to grab if it doesn't fold over completely, and it also won't rest on anything that you've already placed on the shelf itself.

It also helps with sound dampening.

I called them directly, they said any orders before June 3 will not have them. My Tesla was ordered and confirmed on 5/19.

I understand the need for a cutoff date but it would be disappointing that I ordered 2 days prior to change and it would not be honored. I confirmed early as I had until the 8th based on order date. I'll hold out hope that Tesla will do the right thing until I hear to the contrary directly from them.

I asked and was told no, also. The responses are remarkably consistent...

Sorry for those that just missed the cut off......but, I am glad that the answers are consistent as in the past it seemed that you could get a different answer depending on who you talked to. Good to see a 'tight ship' emerging.