Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parcel Shelf now included

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked my DS if the 250 would be refunded for cars not yet delivered but ordered with the PS- No but she reminded me that my car would be here next week not September. So I guess I'll be happy that I ordered the car when I did and suck it up and pay for the PS.

-

Last edited:
It's about time. I was joking that the parcel shelf was 'included' in my wife's Ford Focus Electric. That and it auto raises (i.e. has strings attached) when you open the hatch. Maybe in two more years Tesla can figure that one out.
This enterprising guy makes them for the Volt. Welcome to VoltShelf! - Home
gYUZHud.png

You may change your mind with this car, since you may experience the "walk around" - walking up to your car from a distance and seeing someone peering into it and/or taking pictures. For that reason I always keep the car very neat inside and outside. Basically we are all rolling ads for Tesla!

Whenever my past cars have had parcel shelves I've found them more trouble than they're worth and they end up sitting in my house somewhere. I just ordered on May 24th so suppose I could be bothered by this but, meh, I'm too excited about too much other stuff to worry about something that'll end up in the basement.

- - - Updated - - -

You could be saving as much as $500 per month on your gas v. elec cost, so the early delivery will certainly pay for the cost of the shelf, and more.

I asked my DS if the 250 would be refunded for cars not yet delivered but ordered with the PS- No but she reminded me that my car would be here next week not September. So I guess I'll be happy that I ordered the car when I did and suck it up and pay for the PS.

-

I'm also glad they're being consistent, but confused as to the reasoning. Did the price of the cars go up on the cut-off date? Perhaps they're switching suppliers or moving production in-house at the time these cars will be produced?

Honestly, they talk about giving free retrofits of improved seats, floor mats and even tank armor to anyone who asks. Just do the same with Parcel Shelves, and be done with it. Draw the line at not refunding the $250 to anyone who intentionally purchased one (as did I, a long time and precisely two uses ago).

@SFOTurtle, if you are reading this, what do you think about that $150, hmm?! ;)

I use the parcel shelf full time too and find it to be pretty neat to conceal stuff in the back including my UMC.

Good move on Tesla's part though. Wonder what triggered it. Too many reports of break-ins through the rear glass?! Or, complaints about buffeting or road noise?

Can you explain how you hooked it up to the trunk? I don't have my car yet. Just ordered it 3 days ago and got the parcel shelf.

Thank you.
Bernadette

It is basically three parts. I slit the fabric on the underside, inserted some steal plates (door hardware from Lowes) so the shelf 'sticks' to the magnets in the surround. I drilled holes in the shelf and sleeved them with 1/4" black polytube (this did not look as nice as I had hoped for). Then I ran black cord/string (I also have yellow ones) to the plastic surround gap on the tailgate, and slipped a washer in the gap (same concept as my yellow earplug cord in my proof or concept). Knotted and weighted the cord below the parcel shelf.

Works pretty well, and identical in concept to the ones in the thread I linked.

It is basically three parts. I slit the fabric on the underside, inserted some steal plates (door hardware from Lowes) so the shelf 'sticks' to the magnets in the surround. I drilled holes in the shelf and sleeved them with 1/4" black polytube (this did not look as nice as I had hoped for). Then I ran black cord/string (I also have yellow ones) to the plastic surround gap on the tailgate, and slipped a washer in the gap (same concept as my yellow earplug cord in my proof or concept). Knotted and weighted the cord below the parcel shelf.

Works pretty well, and identical in concept to the ones in the thread I linked.

Thanks for the detailed info! I'll review the thread for those links. Good work!

I'm surprised that Teslas don't have the roll-away style parcel shelves (like my Jetta Sportwagen). That way, when not needed, it just rolls up like a roller-shade. This is particularly useful when riding in the car with the dogs. This would also allow people to easily access the trunk area without the hassle of having to lift up the parcel shelf manually.

Not rocket science... my Nissan Pathfinder had the roll-up shelf back in 2001 (and I assume they had been offered for a number of years).