Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parcel Shelf warning: Strong Magnetic Field

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My shelf arrived today.

photo3.JPG
photo4.JPG
photo.JPG

Shouldn't a similar warning be posted for passengers in the rear-facing seats +/- second row seats ?

Sitting above the electric rotor and all...

Just wondering if medical device testing (pacemakers, ICDs) has been performed in all areas of the car susceptible to carry passengers.

One would assume so, but a man is curious (to paraphrase a character from GOT).

But he may not be pacemaker-dependent (i.e. his heart will keep beating at an adequate rate if his pacemaker malfunctions).

:wink:

Bringer a strong magnet really clos to a pacemaker will not stop it from working,Tit goes into a "fixed rate modus" . This was a way we tested pacemakers about 20 years ago before we had modern customized device specific programmers.
So don't get any ideas about seating your rich pacemaker dependend childless uncle in the back seat

Regards psirnes (cardiologist, EU Sig 52)

Bringer a strong magnet really clos to a pacemaker will not stop it from working,Tit goes into a "fixed rate modus" . This was a way we tested pacemakers about 20 years ago before we had modern customized device specific programmers.
So don't get any ideas about seating your rich pacemaker dependend childless uncle in the back seat

Regards psirnes (cardiologist, EU Sig 52)

Unless his PM goes into VOO mode and causes R-on-T with subsequent TDP-VF and asystole ! :biggrin:

Apologies for the cardiology humour, but nice to meet a colleague on the boards Psirnes !

Shouldn't a similar warning be posted for passengers in the rear-facing seats +/- second row seats ?

Sitting above the electric rotor and all...
I'm assuming this magnet warning has nothing to do with the motor and Tesla is probably using some neodymium magnets to hold the parcel shelf in place.

See also this thread: EMF Radiation

The warning has nothing to do with the motor. The motor is magnetically shielded. It says quite clearly in the first sentence "the parcel shelf ledge on your vehicle may contain magnets."

Problem is, while the early versions of the parcel shelf contained magnets (or magnetic metal to adhere to the magnets in the ledge), the newer ones do not. I just received mine and it flops around as I drive over bumps. Not acceptable to me - it's getting returned.

I'm assuming this magnet warning has nothing to do with the motor and Tesla is probably using some neodymium magnets to hold the parcel shelf in place.

See also this thread: EMF Radiation

I think that they originally intended the shelf to be held down by magnets, but it's not. There are magnets hidden in the rails that the shelf sits on, but at least with the current design of the shelf, there's no ferrous metal to stick to the magnets.