Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parcel Shelf warning: Strong Magnetic Field

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you get two warnings? My shelf came with two of the pacemaker/magnet warnings. :tongue:

you must have got my warning sheet. I don't remember seeing one in my box. Just go ahead and FedEx it to me overnight...

- - - Updated - - -

The warning has nothing to do with the motor. The motor is magnetically shielded. It says quite clearly in the first sentence "the parcel shelf ledge on your vehicle may contain magnets."

Problem is, while the early versions of the parcel shelf contained magnets (or magnetic metal to adhere to the magnets in the ledge), the newer ones do not. I just received mine and it flops around as I drive over bumps. Not acceptable to me - it's getting returned.

Ddi you put the "prongs" that are under the shelf in the side rail notch and then slide it forward? mine fits perfect no rattles. And I did notice that my rails are magnetic. the shelf is not. Why give out the warning with the shelf when it should have come with the car (rails).

The warning specifically talks about magnets in the "parcel shelf ledge", which is part of the car, not the shelf. Now, it's weird that they only felt the need to warn people who got the shelf, and it's also weird that the magnets are there for no purpose.

I was just going to say that. but I don't have a shelf so found out the hard way when my belt buckle got stuck on the inside of the car :tongue:

The ledge on the left side has a pretty good sized bar magnet (looking into the trunk) and there is also an unused plug with 3 wires behind that area ( black , red, signal?) + lots of unused extra wires in other areas of the car!

I regularly put my laptop in the rear trunk, under the parcel shelf - and haven't noticed any problems with the magnets and the hard drive in the laptop.

I noticed the magnets when I was using some binder clips back there to hold some stuff up. Those magnets aren't that big, and not any stronger than about half of the magnets on my fridge.

Granted I do have about 20 industrial strength neodymium magnets on my fridge (about 4 of which you can't really get off very well) so not saying much. And only 3 are from HDD.

Magnetetic warning also came with HPWC

I regularly put my laptop in the rear trunk, under the parcel shelf - and haven't noticed any problems with the magnets and the hard drive in the laptop.

An even stronger warning came with the High Powered Wall Charging unit. I may still have it if anyone wants to see it. RNG

Ddi you put the "prongs" that are under the shelf in the side rail notch and then slide it forward? mine fits perfect no rattles. And I did notice that my rails are magnetic. the shelf is not. Why give out the warning with the shelf when it should have come with the car (rails).

I did. It's the back half nearest the hatch glass, after the hinge, that flops up and down. I'm tall so I see it move all the time in the rear view mirror - very distracting.

An even stronger warning came with the High Powered Wall Charging unit. I may still have it if anyone wants to see it. RNG
The first page (which is two pages before "1") has a number of warnings and cautions but I think you're referring to the second page, but it's talking about signals not magnetism.
Radio and Television Interference
The equipment described in this manual has been designed to protect against Radio Frequency Interference (RFI). However, there are some instances
where high powered radio signals or nearby RF-producing equipment (such as digital phones, RF communications equipment, etc.) could affect
operations.

If interference to your High Power Wall Connector is suspected, relocate or turn off nearby electrical appliances during charging, before contacting Tesla
for assistance.

Mine showed up today, along with the magnetic field warning, but I'm not convinced there's any magnets in the darned thing. I clipped the forward edge in place, and the rear section just flops up and down with nothing apparently holding it flat other than gravity.