Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

parental leave

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cobos

Model S owner since 2013
Supporting Member
Jun 22, 2007
Oslo, Norway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/olajacobsen/3239497636/9 months of parental leave? Unheard of for those of us in the USA.
Work assignment to test drive the Roadster? Lucky you!
I've heard rumours that that Roadster is coming to Norway this week as well. And we get 12 months parental leave shared between the parents, it's pretty unusual for the father to get 9 months.

Cobos

USATODAY.com - U.S. stands apart from other nations on maternity leave

Disclaw Publishing - Employment Law, unfair dismissal, redundancy pay
Norway
  • Paid maternity leave - 54 weeks at 80% of pay or 44 weeks at 100% of pay.
  • Paid paternity leave - 45 weeks at 80% of pay or 35 weeks at 100% shared with mother. Father must take a minimum of 6 weeks or lose the paid leave. Each parent has to have worked for his/her employer for the 10 months prior to birth or any leave is unpaid.
Sweden

• Paid maternity leave - 16 months at 80% of pay (subject to upper limit) for first 13 months then a flat rate for 3 months.
  • This can be shared with father subject to father taking a minimum of 2 months.

USA

Paid maternity leave - none.
  • Parental leave - Every qualifying individual has the right to 12 weeks unpaid familyand medical leave, including parental leave.

Dads on Paternity Leave: Thanks but No Thanks.

Last edited:
Opps a bit more than I remembered. As a couple without children I haven't spent time reading the fine print. We do have a maximum though, I beleive it's 6G (where one G is a goverment number used for pensions, taxes etc. Currently it's about 70 000NOK or about $10 000). So for calculating what you get they give you 80% or 100% depending on what length you choose but if your salary is higher than about $60000 they take 80% or 100% of $60 000 instead of your actual salary. Some companies will pay you the difference between that and your actual salary. But that is an extra benefit you get. As the salary levels in Norway are not the same for males and females, economy is one of the reasons why many men only take the "compulsory" 6 weeks. (Not to mention a salary that high usually means they've got a demanding job.)

Cobos who might have gone slightly off topic. :)