Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Park Assist just ruined my front bumper - cut too short!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've just had a very nice experience with park assist.

Was driving on the left lane of a 2 lanes one-way street looking for a parking spot. There was a good one.. drove past it, saw the "Auto Park" logo on the instrument cluster then engaged self-parking (parallel).

Here's what happened (pardon my French, literally):

For some reasons, it decided to cut short and hit the right side of the pickup's bumper. Fortunately for him (me?), it only hit on the black plastic part of his bumper. Guy got out, we checked our cars and exchanged contact information.

No visible damages on his ride (that white stuff is pearl white paint... it rubbed right off)

eWq0xIU.jpg

But a nice gouge on mine :
XWU7de9.jpg

Let's just say I'll never rely on self-parking again...

Ouch @llavalle :(

Two comments. (1) Please calmly let Tesla know about this so they can review and improve the system. (2) It looks like only the bumper cover got damaged. This can be replaced and paint-matched. Still annoying, but much cheaper than if it happened on a metal part of the car. Perhaps with # 1, Tesla might help donate towards # 2?

Still, sorry to hear/see this happen.

Tesla should pay for the damage, and I doubt there will be much issue about that, but I wonder if you didn't have a dashcam what the response would have been? Another of the many reasons to have a dashcam.

If I were a politician I would make it a law for car manufacturers to have dashcams (or something more design incorporated) installed in all new vehicles.

Ouch @llavalle :(

Two comments. (1) Please calmly let Tesla know about this so they can review and improve the system. (2) It looks like only the bumper cover got damaged. This can be replaced and paint-matched. Still annoying, but much cheaper than if it happened on a metal part of the car. Perhaps with # 1, Tesla might help donate towards # 2?

Ouch indeed. The ironic part is that it's literally right above the ultrasonic sensor. Definitely report it to Tesla. As cyclone said, the bumper part is much cheaper to fix than than a fender.

Yup, Contacted them (Service Center + Direct support email).

Tesla should pay for the damage, and I doubt there will be much issue about that, but I wonder if you didn't have a dashcam what the response would have been? Another of the many reasons to have a dashcam.

The first thing my local service center told me is the phone number of the approved body shop in my area. The second thing is that damages done while on auto-pilot, summon or park-assist is not covered.

That's unfortunate to see! Did the truck driver want to go through insurance for the scratches on his bumper or did he not care?

He did not seem to care. Damage is not even visible. We removed the white paint on the black plastic part and we could not tell where I hit it until I parked closer and we checked where I'd hit him. He was super pissed at Tesla saying I should sue them and all lol

If I were a politician I would make it a law for car manufacturers to have dashcams (or something more design incorporated) installed in all new vehicles.

Yup, me too...

Reactions: cwerdna
The first thing my local service center told me is the phone number of the approved body shop in my area. The second thing is that damages done while on auto-pilot, summon or park-assist is not covered.

Yes, you're probably right. I don't have AP so I never saw the paperwork but I bet there's a waiver of liability. However, that only applies to first party damage. Tesla can't rely on it against a third party and I doubt there's indemnity and hold harmless clauses for third party damage, but in any event in this case there appears to be none.

Also, courts don't always uphold waivers of liability as applying to all cases. For example, if you do a bungy jump and the rope breaks, because it was not properly maintained, good luck on them in attempting to rely on the waiver. However, if you throw your back out, good luck trying to get around the waiver. I look at this as the rope breaking. But there's never any guarantee of success and the amount involved likely makes it not worth pursuing.

I'm liking my non-AP car more and more. After seeing this, I'd never use the parking option if I had it.

Reactions: Zybd1201
I see, so if there's not ample room it can hit a vehicle attempting to go in? That makes no sense. It should just refuse to do it, like AP when it can't see the road lines.

There was ample space
. Like 4-5ft in front and in the back.. I parked it myself in one shot after AP hit it. I think it misread the end of the truck and used it's tires instead of rear bumper.

The Jalopnik guy updated his story after we exchanged an email.

If I had to guess I would say this happened due to the height of the trucks bumper, as I recall there are specific things listed as potential issues in the manual and on the screen agreements and one of which is tall / high objects that might not be detected by the sensors.

Reactions: NikeWings