Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Park Assist just ruined my front bumper - cut too short!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I had to guess I would say this happened due to the height of the trucks bumper, as I recall there are specific things listed as potential issues in the manual and on the screen agreements and one of which is tall / high objects that might not be detected by the sensors.

I would buy that. I have noticed that the sensors don't "see" up. Or, if they do, they are programmed to ignore. People need to know that the car "sees" straight out from the sensor. I would doubt it sees down very much, either.

I wonder also if the shape of the bumper, fairly hard angles, that reflectivity of the sonar maybe was an issue. The sonar has to see a reflection of its signal to estimate distance. If that signal bounces forward or back, how can the car tell where the surface is?

I would expect Tesla is trying to figure this all out, too. I am sure there will be updates.

From the Tesla model S owners manual, page 80.

Warning: During the parking sequence, continually check your surroundings. Be prepared to apply the brakes to avoid vehicles, pedestrians, or objects.

Warning: Many unforeseen circumstances can impair Autopark's ability to park Model S. Keep this in mind and remember that as a result, Autopark may not steer Model S appropriately. Pay attention when parking Model S and stay prepared to immediately take control.

Attachments

• autopark.pdf
    45.5 KB · Views: 70
From the Tesla model S owners manual, page 80.

Warning: During the parking sequence, continually check your surroundings. Be prepared to apply the brakes to avoid vehicles, pedestrians, or objects.

Warning: Many unforeseen circumstances can impair Autopark's ability to park Model S. Keep this in mind and remember that as a result, Autopark may not steer Model S appropriately. Pay attention when parking Model S and stay prepared to immediately take control.

Did you watch the video? I can't imagine what he could have done differently. Parallel parking requires coming close to the vehicle in front. By the time it hit the vehicle, it was too late to conclude it was being done wrong. At least that's how I view it. I don't care what Tesla what says. I go back to my bungy jumping liability waiver comment. Just because something is said in a document, doesn't necessarily mean it will be upheld in court. I can see the judge rolling his eyes after watching the video and then having Tesla's lawyer quote the excerpt you just did.

I'm implying that the bicyclist the passed the driver prior to him engaging the autopark may have skewed the sensors which is required to estimate the amount of space.

If that's the case, then it's no excuse. Passing bikes, people, dogs, cars, etc. need to be accounted for in the hardware and software, Tesla can't expect people to account for these things when using this feature.

You setting in the car and let it hit another vehicle without intervening? Why would you do that? Were you watching a movie, texting, sleeping? Sorry, I don't get it? How is this Tesla's fault?

OP, please don't give this comment a passing thought. Unless it's sarcasm, it's beyond being absurd. You are doing a great service by coming here and posting your experience to warn others. It's too bad you get met with nonsense like this.

Last edited:
It's not like autopilot, autopark, and summon are free. We pay $2500 or more just to have these features. Auto parking is usually so precise and I'm sure OP has used it many times before successfully.

This isn't a case of not listening to sensors saying take control. The car had full control and still swiped the other vehicle. This should be taken care of by Tesla and I will be disappointed if it is not.

You setting in the car and let it hit another vehicle without intervening? Why would you do that? Were you watching a movie, texting, sleeping? Sorry, I don't get it? How is this Tesla's fault?
To all of the people who say "You're still the driver -- you should have stopped it." I ask: exactly where in this sequence was it so obvious
to you that it was going to hit the truck that you would have intervened?

If that's the case, then it's no excuse. Passing bikes, people, dogs, cars, etc. need to be accounted for in the hardware and software, Tesla can't expect people to account for these things when using this feature.
I wasn't passing blame for either party just seeking a reasonable explanation as to why this happened.

The other poster that alerted me to this video mentioned $2.5-3k in damage. I thought there was another thread that mentions the bumper cover these days went down to around $325 from over $1200. I'm assuming that's the extent of the damage.

I think auto parallel parking was a bridge too far for Tesla. As many others have observed, you can only practically use it on a near-
deserted street, since if you pull past the space you want to park in (as you must for it to work) someone will certainly pull up behind
you, blocking your route to the space. I tried to demonstrate it at an auto show this past weekend and was reminded that it has a
very narrow idea of what constitutes a "curb". The incident in this thread is the first I've heard of it actively doing something bad,
rather than the usual refusal to do anything. That's quite unnerving. I hope it turns out to be a problem with the O.P.'s car and not
something generic to the system. At a certain point, when the list of restrictions, caveats, gotchas, disclaimers, and other weasel
words gets long enough you no longer have a viable product and are left with at most a toy.

Reactions: Zybd1201
@K-MTG or @Wknapp0924, thanks for sharing into about FreedomPop. I'm going to sign up to try it out, but what devices do you use respectively? Any pros/cons with them? How is the Blackvue Cloud service, also?

I use the Netgear mingle from freedompop, I have more on that on my cloud access video:

The great thing is that you can view the car footage from anywhere and receive an alert if an impact is detected. The down side is the freedompop coverage depends on your area

• Informative
Reactions: rfmurphy81
Thanks, @K-MTG. I'm only a few towns over from you. I'm curious how much data this thing would use from the perspective of the hotspot service and the Blackvue Cloud service, but it's worth a try if I can find a device at a good price. I suppose we're derailing this topic so maybe this isn't the place for this conversation. :)

Thanks, @K-MTG. I'm only a few towns over from you. I'm curious how much data this thing would use from the perspective of the hotspot service and the Blackvue Cloud service, but it's worth a try if I can find a device at a good price. I suppose we're derailing this topic so maybe this isn't the place for this conversation. :)

It really depends on your usage, for me it is sufficient.
You can either get a SIM card for free 700MB per month: FreedomPop Global SIM

Or the mingle for a free 1GB per month: FreedomPop Netgear Mingle LTE Hotspot

The SIM card roams on 3G of ATT & T-Mobile so that will give you better coverage.

• Informative
Reactions: rfmurphy81