Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Park Assist just ruined my front bumper - cut too short!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm thinking if that plastic step thingy wasn't there it probably wouldn't have happened. My take away is avoid PA when pickups are there but out of curiosity has anyone else had an issue using this feature when pickups or other higher vehicles are in the space ahead or behind?

FYI just took delivery of 60D and except for the test drive haven't used parking assist yet.

Or, what about that indent (step) in the truck's bumper? Maybe the sensor, when real close, read the inside back of the indent and thought there was sufficient room (if sensors can think)?

Good theory. It's also possible the sensors couldn't detect the protrusion at the bottom of the step in the truck's bumper (as it extends beyond the rest of the bumper). In either case, this implies park assist leaves a ridiculously small margin for error, which is consistent with my observations when using the feature.

It should be easy for Tesla to "fix" this, if they choose to do so, by slightly increasing the margin they leave to the car in front. IMO, it's a perfectly good tradeoff to increase the minimum parking spot size that park assist can park in if it means we can actually trust it.

It should be easy for Tesla to "fix" this, if they choose to do so, by slightly increasing the margin they leave to the car in front. IMO, it's a perfectly good tradeoff to increase the minimum parking spot size that park assist can park in if it means we can actually trust it.
While I agree that the by-far preferred failure mode is for it to demure, at some point (I think we're pretty much already there) it works in so few circumstances as to be effectively useless.

Reactions: Zybd1201
It's obvious from the photos that ultrasonic sensor lost track of the pickup bed as it was closing in due to FOV of the ultrasonic sensor. As it got closer it probably 'thought' that vehicle ended where tire was.

This is not the first time sensors are not reliably detecting object that are off the ground. I doubt that rumored extra radar in the corner would fix this issue. I think cameras in the mirrors would work the best could work in tandem with ultrasonic sensors for better blind spot detection as well.

EDIT: on the second thought camera in mirror would not have been in a position to gauge distance to the truck either. Probably secondary sensor in the wheel well would be a better option.

Last edited:
Just a thought here, but could it have anything to do with the fact that you were parking on the left side of the street? Most parallel parking is done on the right side of the street. Could it be that the left and right side parking sensors/software are calibrated differently?

RHD cars need to park left-side in UK, Australia and Japan, etc. Needs to operate as software that can "flip the circumstances" and work the same whether left or right. In computer programming, it can come down to a negative sign on a formula rather than positive when the car location is mapped out on the X and Y axis. If anyone has ever "programmed Pong" in any computer language and worked on X/Y coordinates, you know what I mean.

I think auto parallel parking was a bridge too far for Tesla. As many others have observed, you can only practically use it on a near-
deserted street, since if you pull past the space you want to park in (as you must for it to work) someone will certainly pull up behind
you, blocking your route to the space. I tried to demonstrate it at an auto show this past weekend and was reminded that it has a
very narrow idea of what constitutes a "curb". The incident in this thread is the first I've heard of it actively doing something bad,
rather than the usual refusal to do anything. That's quite unnerving. I hope it turns out to be a problem with the O.P.'s car and not
something generic to the system. At a certain point, when the list of restrictions, caveats, gotchas, disclaimers, and other weasel
words gets long enough you no longer have a viable product and are left with at most a toy.

I disagree completely, I've used it well over 100 times without fail, without issue, without even a close call in tight spaces. I'm not saying it's perfect, but to say its "a bridge too far for Tesla" is absurd.

Jeff

• Informative
Reactions: Krugerrand
We are already there. Sadly, it is a toy that is a little bit dangerous too.
Agreed. I can't help but think that all the folks desperately waiting for fully autonomous driving have a longer wait than some of the car companies are promising. Just too many things that can go wrong, especially when you mix fully autonomous cars with fully idiot driven cars. Not a good mix in my opinion.

Just to be clear, I am not implying that anyone on this forum is an idiot driver, but I do see idiot drivers practically every time I hit the streets.

Are you disagreeing that it has problems under the circumstances described, or merely saying that you, personally, have been
fortunate enough to not encounter those circumstances?

What I'm saying is your overreaction was uncalled for. I wouldn't say my lack of issues with the feature represent good fortune on my part either.

I just don't get the overreaction and the suggestion that the feature doesn't work or that Tesla should pull it back because this thread exists...

Jeff

What I'm saying is your overreaction was uncalled for. I wouldn't say my lack of issues with the feature represent good fortune on my part either.

I just don't get the overreaction and the suggestion that the feature doesn't work or that Tesla should pull it back because this thread exists...

Jeff
I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but you didn't answer my question. The reason I asked is that if you are encountering these same circumstances and not having these problems then you might be able to share with us your "secret" to making it work, which is what we
all ultimately want (not to tear down Tesla). Btw, the ("perceived") problems with parallel auto-park go way beyond the topic of this particular thread.

How will this crash scenario be prevented in future upgrade/improvement?

After an owner who didn't know that he activated the summoning and left the car unsupervised and it crashed into the top front a tall semi-trailer bed,

model-s-crash-on-summon-via-KSL-3.jpg

Tesla revised the procedure to include another acknowledgement step to make sure driver is aware of summoning and is to hang around to babysit the system to make sure an owner would intervene to stop the car from crashing in the same scenario.

Could it be that Tesla has problems of crashing onto taller obstacles such as the mark of bumper damage is just above the sensor in this parallel parking case?

Should more sensors be added, and may be at a higher locations to detect taller obstacles such as pickup and semi trucks?