Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Park Assist just ruined my front bumper - cut too short!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...Waivers are not always upheld in court...

I see your point and I do agree that waivers can be challenged in court.

On the other hand, Tesla says its Autopilot is unfinished and if consumers want to use it, they are on the hook for all the crashes and deaths.

If consumers don't want that waiver then they should not buy Autopilot option until Tesla can guarantee its reliability.

To challenge a waiver, you might have a better chance claiming that you never agree a waiver and it was buried somewhere that it's so hard to find.

Similarly, for those who are forbidden to give a negative review of a service in Yelp, California has a "Yelp" law that prohibits "non-disparagement clauses unless the consumer had "knowingly, voluntarily, and intelligently waived his or her right to voice a negative opinion."

So can you tell us, in all honesty, after watching the video, that you would have tapped the brake and disengaged the system before the accident occurred?

Nope, I can't say that with any certainty at all as all I have is a dash cam video... Having watched it several times though, I likely would have intervened at the 22/23 second mark, perhaps as early as the 21/22 second mark. The car didn't impact the bumper until the 24 second mark... What I lack from the video is the depth perception from the driver.

I haven't had a nearly close enough call, to date, in my Model S but am ever aware that without proper vigilance something like this could happen to me.

Jeff

Nope, I can't say that with any certainty at all as all I have is a dash cam video... Having watched it several times though, I likely would have intervened at the 22/23 second mark, perhaps as early as the 21/22 second mark. The car didn't impact the bumper until the 24 second mark... What I lack from the video is the depth perception from the driver.
I haven't had a nearly close enough call, to date, in my Model S but am ever aware that without proper vigilance something like this could happen to me.
Jeff

Okay, fair enough. It's easy to parallel park so I can't see myself using it in the first place. It seems gimmicky to me.

" ... you find you can routinely use it on streets with traffic behind you?"
1. Yes, without issue.

Now we're getting somewhere! Can you elaborate on how you keep traffic behind you from following you forward at a normal inter-car
spacing and blocking your access to the spot that you're (at that point) trying to back into?

I think all of us chuckle at the phantom parking spaces appearing in the middle of traffic, rolling our eyes with a "Really?".

Okay, fair enough. It's easy to parallel park so I can't see myself using it in the first place. It seems gimmicky to me.
When it does work it's pretty great. It can park in situations that would be pretty challenging for most drivers. The only aspect that's
"gimmicky", to me, is the narrowness (and unpredictability) of the circumstances in which it will work.

Reactions: Zybd1201
I think all of us chuckle at the phantom parking spaces appearing in the middle of traffic, rolling our eyes with a "Really?".
I've had that happen waiting on a turn lane at a light before. The car going the opposite direction somehow triggered the parallel parking icon. Today I another weird encounter while exiting the freeway. There were some construction crew and a big truck between the exit and freeway. Suddenly I hear some beeping going on but didn't notice it slowing my car down. I look at the instrument cluster and I couldn't tell if it was the Tesla car icon flashing red or it was a flicker red light in it's place as it happened fast for a couple of seconds.

This is an interesting conversation. I for one, as I'm guessing many others as well, am very confused about the tech, or partial tech installed. I understood Autopilot (aka steering assist) to be in beta mode. Now Active Cruise control and auto park I expected weren't in beta and would work without issue, ad this tech is available already on BMWs and Fords amongst others. Being a new Tesla owner, going on week 2, I'm trying to figure out what works and what doesn't. What I read out if this thread is nothing works (most of the time, occasionally, usually works doesn't count as works). I'd never drive a car where the brakes "almost always" work. I was giving the technology more credit/trust than I feel is warranted now after seeing the auto park fail. Does any of the tech included work? And this isn't me bashing. I'm a tech guy, just want to understand what truly works and won't make a $100k car a test case.

You setting in the car and let it hit another vehicle without intervening? Why would you do that? Were you watching a movie, texting, sleeping? Sorry, I don't get it? How is this Tesla's fault?

Maybe the OP did not have a clear view of the bumpers.

Maybe the Tesla cut in too quickly for the OP to react in time.

Maybe the OP is handicapped to some degree and may have bought the option for that reason.

Etc.

This is clearly Tesla's fault. The OP should not let them off the hook for paying for the damage their flawed system caused.

• Disagree
Reactions: pchilds
I've had that happen waiting on a turn lane at a light before. The car going the opposite direction somehow triggered the parallel parking icon. Today I another weird encounter while exiting the freeway. There were some construction crew and a big truck between the exit and freeway. Suddenly I hear some beeping going on but didn't notice it slowing my car down. I look at the instrument cluster and I couldn't tell if it was the Tesla car icon flashing red or it was a flicker red light in it's place as it happened fast for a couple of seconds.

That was the forward collision warning. Which does not seem to be working properly (lots of false negatives). Make sure you do not have your "forward collision warning" setting to "early." Although it is not intuitive this can cause your car to brake suddenly and unexpectedly.

Be very careful and keep your foot on the gas as if you were driving. The system does not work like you think it should.

Does any of the tech included work? And this isn't me bashing. I'm a tech guy, just want to understand what truly works and won't make a $100k car a test case.

I'm a tech guy too. i assumed the systems would operate as intended in most circumstances. I was wrong.

I was driving a friend the other day and he wanted to see the autopilot. After 5 minutes on a local and clearly marked highway my friend turned to me and said "wouldn't it be less stressful to just drive the damn thing yourself?"

You will have to learn your individual car. They seem to all be different. It seems Tesla can put some bad/non-functional parts in your car when it is built and not catch it at QA time. Thus, you must assume your car is defective until proven otherwise for your own safety and investment IMO.

Although Elon seems to be on a twitter storm this morning with claims of autopilot improvements. I will give him and his (excellent) team the benefit of the doubt that they are fixing this.

• Funny
Now we're getting somewhere! Can you elaborate on how you keep traffic behind you from following you forward at a normal inter-car
spacing and blocking your access to the spot that you're (at that point) trying to back into?

To date it hasn't been an issue, around here people parallel park all of the time so when you see someone slowing down passing an empty spot you go around them. It's just what's "normal" here...

It'd be interesting to see what the car would do if someone did pull up right behind me while trying to back into a parallel parking space...

Jeff

Maybe the OP did not have a clear view of the bumpers.

Maybe the Tesla cut in too quickly for the OP to react in time.

Maybe the OP is handicapped to some degree and may have bought the option for that reason.

Etc.

This is clearly Tesla's fault. The OP should not let them off the hook for paying for the damage their flawed system caused.

Only it's not Tesla's fault at all, not even close. Nor should Tesla be on the hook for any of the damages. The system isn't flawed either...

This is the type of over reactionary post that just gets under my skin a bit... :)

Jeff

I'm a tech guy too. i assumed the systems would operate as intended in most circumstances. I was wrong.

I was driving a friend the other day and he wanted to see the autopilot. After 5 minutes on a local and clearly marked highway my friend turned to me and said "wouldn't it be less stressful to just drive the damn thing yourself?"

You will have to learn your individual car. They seem to all be different. It seems Tesla can put some bad/non-functional parts in your car when it is built and not catch it at QA time. Thus, you must assume your car is defective until proven otherwise for your own safety and investment IMO.

Although Elon seems to be on a twitter storm this morning with claims of autopilot improvements. I will give him and his (excellent) team the benefit of the doubt that they are fixing this.

Dude...??? Seriously???... "It seems Tesla can put some bad/non-functional parts in your car when it is built and not catch it at QA time. Thus, you must assume your car is defective until proven otherwise for your own safety and investment"...

I've read some crazy things on this forum during the years I've been a member but that one just might take the cake...

Jeff

To date it hasn't been an issue, around here people parallel park all of the time so when you see someone slowing down passing an empty spot you go around them. It's just what's "normal" here...
Having lived in the Bay Area, I never though I'd see the day when someone said traffic there was less congested than here. Here
one of the places I'd most like to use the parallel parking feature is on a busy one-way two-lane road with parking on both side, on
a block that ends at a stoplight. There is often no room to go around a stopped car even in the unlikely event that it would occur to
the driver behind to do so. Part of the problem -- with respect to your explanation -- is that with the traffic light coming up people
expect the car in front of them to be slowing (even if the light is green, since it's a T-junction), so by the time they figure out you're
actually stopping -- and not merely slowing -- they've followed you enough to block the large amount of space the Tesla requires for its
parallel parking maneuver.

Having lived in the Bay Area, I never though I'd see the day when someone said traffic there was less congested than here. Here
one of the places I'd most like to use the parallel parking feature is on a busy one-way two-lane road with parking on both side, on
a block that ends at a stoplight. There is often no room to go around a stopped car even in the unlikely event that it would occur to
the driver behind to do so. Part of the problem -- with respect to your explanation -- is that with the traffic light coming up people
expect the car in front of them to be slowing (even if the light is green, since it's a T-junction), so by the time they figure out you're
actually stopping -- and not merely slowing -- they've followed you enough to block the large amount of space the Tesla requires for its
parallel parking maneuver.

Fair enough, I use it in roughly the same general area several days a week but I wouldn't call that specific area traffic congested so it's simply possible that I haven't used it in the use case you're describing... YMMV... :)

Jeff