Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Park assist not available with bike rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
have used the accessory hitch to put on Thule classic 2T bike rack. Very happy with rack. Of course backing up always gives sensor warning to stop with car sensing rack as obstruction. After installation I intermittently get the warning park assistance not available. It's not all the time but can go off several times while driving or even persist for a day or two. The warning is usually related to sensor damage but no accidents and sensors not pushed in. To confuse issue even more front sensors will sometimes work with the warning but other times will not. I have appointment two weeks out for service but wonder if others have similar issue with bike rack.

Reactions: KaiserSoze
Yes. I have this issue when I have my rack folded up in the back. It's annoying as hell and I wish it would quit with the notices when I click the "OK" button but it doesn't. It goes off everytime I slow down under about 5mph or come to a stop. I do not get it when I have bikes on the rack though. I have the 1upusa rack.

Yes. I have this issue when I have my rack folded up in the back. It's annoying as hell and I wish it would quit with the notices when I click the "OK" button but it doesn't. It goes off everytime I slow down under about 5mph or come to a stop. I do not get it when I have bikes on the rack though. I have the 1upusa rack.
Do your front sensors stop working as well? Wonder why intermittent and inconsistent.

I may be dreaming, but I hope that Tesla can write some smart code to realize a bike rack is connected (eg backing up, yet obstruction distance stays the same) and develop a "ghost" image of the rack that it can then selectively ignore until the next time the vehicle is turned off/on.

• Love
Reactions: KaiserSoze
I may be dreaming, but I hope that Tesla can write some smart code to realize a bike rack is connected (eg backing up, yet obstruction distance stays the same) and develop a "ghost" image of the rack that it can then selectively ignore until the next time the vehicle is turned off/on.
I can't think of any sort of code that can overcome the sensors being obstructed by a bike rack, this is something that you'll just have to deal with.

I can't think of any sort of code that can overcome the sensors being obstructed by a bike rack, this is something that you'll just have to deal with.

I think it would be possible to calibrate out the echoes from the rack. When the car moves but an echo does not, it can be considered part of the car itself.

Even when partially obstructed, echoes from "real" obstructions will still make it back to the microphone.

have used the accessory hitch to put on Thule classic 2T bike rack. Very happy with rack. Of course backing up always gives sensor warning to stop with car sensing rack as obstruction. After installation I intermittently get the warning park assistance not available. It's not all the time but can go off several times while driving or even persist for a day or two. The warning is usually related to sensor damage but no accidents and sensors not pushed in. To confuse issue even more front sensors will sometimes work with the warning but other times will not. I have appointment two weeks out for service but wonder if others have similar issue with bike rack.
Wonder if you hook up a brakelight to the towing connector if that will turn them off.
20174.jpg

Hitch Mounted Cargo,Utility & Mobility Carriers|denver|littleton|colorado|hitch corner

I've had the intermittent "park assist unavailable" with the bike rack as well...
I called the SC and they said this is usually the result of a dirt covered sensor...
Last time I got the error with the rack installed, I wiped the sensor and the error stopped...
As the error is somewhat intermittent, I don't know if the error correction was
coincidental or not....I'll keep trying to keep the sensors real clean to see if I can see correlation