Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Park Assist Unavailable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My SC has finally agreed to changing the control unit. I argued that if this was just a firmware issue, more than a few 2018 M3s would have this issue. Furthermore, there have been firmware updates and the problem persists for all who complained here about it. They will have to order the part, which could take a week. Hope of a fix is on the horizon.

Reactions: SunCharged
I just got 2021.4.8.2 and did not fix my issue either. Just booked another service request. I am out of warranty, will be interesting to see how they respond. I was not billed when they sent the mobile tech which implies that they know this occurred due to software update. I don’t think I should have to pay for a replacement module, but will if I have to. Tesla has always been more than fair to me on service visits. Other benefit with Tesla is you usually get the latest revision on a replacement part, unlike traditional auto which will install the same piece of crap part as the original.

I just got 2021.4.8.2 and did not fix my issue either. Just booked another service request. I am out of warranty, will be interesting to see how they respond. I was not billed when they sent the mobile tech which implies that they know this occurred due to software update. I don’t think I should have to pay for a replacement module, but will if I have to. Tesla has always been more than fair to me on service visits. Other benefit with Tesla is you usually get the latest revision on a replacement part, unlike traditional auto which will install the same piece of crap part as the original.
Booked SC appt for Friday. They will replace the module at no charge as per instruction from their Engineering team. Good news is that this appears to be a recognized issue with specific VINs.

Got my car back today, with the Right low voltage controller replaced for a total of $501 and everything works great again....kept the old part, probably start taking it apart after a couple glasses of Jack Daniels....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 3.50.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 3.50.12 PM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 325
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 3.51.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 3.51.34 PM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 164
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 3.52.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 3.52.50 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 149
My SC was not budging on it being their fault :(
Show your service center this thread. Perhaps the firmware did trigger the failure, because new functional additions in it were too much for the older version of this module to handle. (That's my guess, for what it is worth.) In any case, point out that the only people on this forum, who have had this problem corrected, are those who had the controller module replaced. Firmware updates have not worked. If the firmware was still an issue, the module replacement would not have fixed this problem for those that did it. Furthermore, point out how few cars have this issue and the vast majority are early 2018 models. Have them explain to you how a firmware glitch would not have affected more cars including newer ones. Obviously, there has to be a hardware difference with some of the earlier cars having slightly different modules.

Show your service center this thread. Perhaps the firmware did trigger the failure, because new functional additions in it were too much for the older version of this module to handle. (That's my guess, for what it is worth.) In any case, point out that the only people on this forum, who have had this problem corrected, are those who had the controller module replaced. Firmware updates have not worked. If the firmware was still an issue, the module replacement would not have fixed this problem for those that did it. Furthermore, point out how few cars have this issue and the vast majority are early 2018 models. Have them explain to you how a firmware glitch would not have affected more cars including newer ones. Obviously, there has to be a hardware difference with some of the earlier cars having slightly different modules.
Mine is doing it, but only the front sensors seem to be affected. The rear sensors work fine. I just took delivery of the car on the 12th and this started on the 14th. When I took delivery, the car was at 2021.4.18.2 and has received no updates since I took delivery. As it's brand new, I'm sure the modules and sensors are the most up to date versions.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
Mine is doing it, but only the front sensors seem to be affected. The rear sensors work fine. I just took delivery of the car on the 12th and this started on the 14th. When I took delivery, the car was at 2021.4.18.2 and has received no updates since I took delivery. As it's brand new, I'm sure the modules and sensors are the most up to date versions.
Your is not a contol module issue, like others reporting here. Your sensor problem should be easy to fix. It could be a ljust oose connection.

Show your service center this thread. Perhaps the firmware did trigger the failure, because new functional additions in it were too much for the older version of this module to handle. (That's my guess, for what it is worth.) In any case, point out that the only people on this forum, who have had this problem corrected, are those who had the controller module replaced. Firmware updates have not worked. If the firmware was still an issue, the module replacement would not have fixed this problem for those that did it. Furthermore, point out how few cars have this issue and the vast majority are early 2018 models. Have them explain to you how a firmware glitch would not have affected more cars including newer ones. Obviously, there has to be a hardware difference with some of the earlier cars having slightly different modules
Just spoke with a manager at the SC, she said they can't base goodwill off of posts from the forum. But she did say that if I could get VINs from others that had the work done on a goodwill, not under warranty that she would be able to look it up and possibly get me a refund.

So, is there anyone that would be willing to share that info with me on a PM? The info will be kept confidential, and she stated that she would not share any private info.

Hopefully be able to get my money back from them.

Just spoke with a manager at the SC, she said they can't base goodwill off of posts from the forum. But she did say that if I could get VINs from others that had the work done on a goodwill, not under warranty that she would be able to look it up and possibly get me a refund.

So, is there anyone that would be willing to share that info with me on a PM? The info will be kept confidential, and she stated that she would not share any private info.

Hopefully be able to get my money back from them.
The module replacement on my car, scheduled, but not done, will be done under warranty. I am not sure why your SC wants vin number on other cars getting a just a good will replacement. It would make more sense if they were looking at any vins needing modular replacement to see if the cars were made around the same time.

Reactions: hiroshiy
The module replacement on my car, scheduled, but not done, will be done under warranty. I am not sure why your SC wants vin number on other cars getting a just a good will replacement. It would make more sense if they were looking at any vins needing modular replacement to see if the cars were made around the same time.
Yeah, I'm not sure, but seemed like it was worth a shot.

Just got my car fixed. Like everyone else, the module was replaced. What I was told was that it broke as a result of the firmware. Which is true because I had no problems with park assist until version .18.1
How can firmware cause hardware to break? Does it cause it to overheat or explode? If the firmware was the issue, it still should be the issue after the module was replaced unless the new module is different from the old.

How can firmware cause hardware to break? Does it cause it to overheat or explode? If the firmware was the issue, it still should be the issue after the module was replaced unless the new module is different from the old.
Not an engineer but this happens to other hardware where if right conditions are met, the hardware being upgraded ends up getting bricked. I would hope Tesla is working out what is the root cause of why it’s happening but only to a subset of cars.

Just got my car fixed. Like everyone else, the module was replaced. What I was told was that it broke as a result of the firmware. Which is true because I had no problems with park assist until version .18.1
was your car under warranty? my car is out of warranty and i hope Tesla honor the fix not only for car under warranty but also for the one without since the software upgrade broke what was working...