Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Park assist unavailable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving around in the snow today (gotta love Denver - ha), and the message "Park assist unavailable" came up a few times after stopping for lunch. I assume this was from snow being on some of the sensors; AP was also unavailable with a message about the radar (I forget the exact wording of that one).

When I got to my garage, the parking sensors (at least some of them) seemed to be active, giving me the distance to the wall in front of me and such. So, two questions:

- what exactly is park assist on AP2 cars? Is it the auto parallel parking feature?

- what sensors does it use? I was surprised that I was getting distances when parking in the garage, although it could have been some in back that were blocked. Or maybe it uses the radar, which AP said was blocked...

• Disagree
Reactions: pjoseph
- what exactly is park assist on AP2 cars? Is it the auto parallel parking feature?

- what sensors does it use? I was surprised that I was getting distances when parking in the garage, although it could have been some in back that were blocked. Or maybe it uses the radar, which AP said was blocked...

Yes.

In AP HW1 it was mostly, if not entirely, the ultrasonic sensors. HW2 may be different, but at this stage I doubt it.

It's possible that some of your ultrasonic sensors were obscured by snow, ice, or grime and that's why the vehicle disabled parking assist. Or it might be like TACC, where camera problems can disable TACC even though TACC is basically a radar feature.

Reactions: gr2020