TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Park assist unavailable

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by gr2020, May 18, 2017.

1. gr2020

gr2020 Member

I was driving around in the snow today (gotta love Denver - ha), and the message "Park assist unavailable" came up a few times after stopping for lunch. I assume this was from snow being on some of the sensors; AP was also unavailable with a message about the radar (I forget the exact wording of that one).

When I got to my garage, the parking sensors (at least some of them) seemed to be active, giving me the distance to the wall in front of me and such. So, two questions:

- what exactly is park assist on AP2 cars? Is it the auto parallel parking feature?

- what sensors does it use? I was surprised that I was getting distances when parking in the garage, although it could have been some in back that were blocked. Or maybe it uses the radar, which AP said was blocked...

• Disagree x 1
  2. kort677

kort677 Banned

park assist has always been problematic. it just isn't really something that works.
    there are a few threads discussing the shortcomings of this feature.
    I summed it up by saying that it just isn't ready for prime time.

3. gr2020

gr2020 Member

Well, thanks - but that didn't answer any of the questions I asked. :)

4. mblakele

mblakele radial cross member

Yes.

In AP HW1 it was mostly, if not entirely, the ultrasonic sensors. HW2 may be different, but at this stage I doubt it.

It's possible that some of your ultrasonic sensors were obscured by snow, ice, or grime and that's why the vehicle disabled parking assist. Or it might be like TACC, where camera problems can disable TACC even though TACC is basically a radar feature.

• Like x 1
  5. LLevyMD

LLevyMD New Member

So I now have the "Parking Assist Unavailable" notification on my dash and red exclamation on the center console display. How do I fix this problem - I have a Model 3 P90D 2015. Thanks for any suggestions.

6. Chaserr

Chaserr Member

Call support