Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Park behavior change?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
Previously among the firmware wishlist posts it was suggested that engaging Park on the driver's control stalk should not immediately unlock the car and extend the door handles. The idea was safety in an isolated location or potential car/jack situation.

I've noticed recently on occasion that when I put the car in Park they don't extend. Hitting Park a second time then extends them. The 3rd time this happened I looked at that dash and verified it indicated "P" before hitting the button a second time.

But it's only occasional behavior. Anybody else?

(Incidentally I like the behavior, I think it should be standard: 1 press=park. 2 quick presses=Park+handles)

I can confirm... great change. If the car is locked, first push into park leaves the car locked and keeps the handles in. Second push unlocks and extends.

It's smart, as well - if the car is locked, touching the handles does nothing. I rolled down the windows, drove the car out of the garage (while locking it from the controls screen), pulled it back into the garage. Hitting "P" still shows the car locked but sets parking brake. I then pushed handles, no dice.

Last edited:
A good change, but is there a way to extend the door handles without putting the car in park (or, now, pressing park twice?) I ask because when I drop the kid off in the morning it's nice to extend the door handles for the chaperones, but if you have to stop, hit park, etc it slows things down some.

A good change, but is there a way to extend the door handles without putting the car in park (or, now, pressing park twice?) I ask because when I drop the kid off in the morning it's nice to extend the door handles for the chaperones, but if you have to stop, hit park, etc it slows things down some.

Best stopped when people are getting in/out of the car, and in Park there is no possibility of rolling while that's going on, it's a good thing don't you think?

- - - Updated - - -

I hope they keep the user manual in synch with these little changes.
I wish they'd list the minutia of changes on the release notes... even if you have to scroll way down.
It's a bit of a gloss over to say, other minor improvements. Everyone thinks, ya ya bug fixes they don't want to admit were there...
But if it's material, like occupant safety using door locking features (which people have been asking for...) then it should hit the release notes.
And the manual.

I have noticed this new behavior too. For me, there is only one scenario where putting the car in Park doesn't extend the handles: If I go out to the driveway, get in the car and move it 20' into my garage, the handles don't extend when I put it in Park. In every other scenario (i.e. a longer drive) the handles always extend as soon as I put it in Park.