Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Park, Charge, (Someone Else) Move

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The thought occurred to me recently at the SJC location, that it would be nice if my car could get moved after it is done charging, as a courtesy to others who might need to use the location at peak times, if I happen to be out for a bit (long meal, etc.).

Since "auto-re-park-in-nearby-space" is not a reality now, how would people feel about letting another *verified* Model S owner, who needs to use the charging spot, into your car remotely at the Supercharger and park it in a nearby space in the same parking lot? What would be the technical and social components necessary to make this work reliably?

Offhand, I think it would require:
  1. Putting a sign on your MS that says "contact me when done charging if you need to use this Supercharger spot"
  2. Remote access to unlock the car remotely
  3. Some verification system so you know that it's another Model S owner, rather than a random thief
  4. A geofencing feature of the MS, so that when you unlock it remotely and allow the other owner to drive it, the MS is locked to stay in the parking lot. (I don't know if this sort of geofencing is illegal--I suppose it is unsafe though.)

Maybe it will never happen but it's nice to speculate about it. Thanks!

An alternative would be: an extremely long (and probably extremely expensive, not to mention extremely heavy) Supercharger-compatible extension cord, that can handle the wattage.

The thought occurred to me recently at the SJC location, that it would be nice if my car could get moved after it is done charging, as a courtesy to others who might need to use the location at peak times, if I happen to be out for a bit (long meal, etc.).

Since "auto-re-park-in-nearby-space" is not a reality now, how would people feel about letting another *verified* Model S owner, who needs to use the charging spot, into your car remotely at the Supercharger and park it in a nearby space in the same parking lot? What would be the technical and social components necessary to make this work reliably?

Offhand, I think it would require:
  1. Putting a sign on your MS that says "contact me when done charging if you need to use this Supercharger spot"
  2. Remote access to unlock the car remotely
  3. Some verification system so you know that it's another Model S owner, rather than a random thief
  4. A geofencing feature of the MS, so that when you unlock it remotely and allow the other owner to drive it, the MS is locked to stay in the parking lot. (I don't know if this sort of geofencing is illegal--I suppose it is unsafe though.)

Maybe it will never happen but it's nice to speculate about it. Thanks!

An alternative would be: an extremely long (and probably extremely expensive, not to mention extremely heavy) Supercharger-compatible extension cord, that can handle the wattage.
No. You should just come back and move your car when it finishes charging.

between autopilot and the metal snake automatic charger, they have the technology in place to make this happen. I see it as a supercharger regular thing in a few years, cars moving around autonomously and charging, then getting picked up in a waiting lot.