TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Park, Charge, (Someone Else) Move

Discussion in 'California Supercharger locations' started by SeanTek, Dec 5, 2015.

1. SeanTek

SeanTek Member

The thought occurred to me recently at the SJC location, that it would be nice if my car could get moved after it is done charging, as a courtesy to others who might need to use the location at peak times, if I happen to be out for a bit (long meal, etc.).

Since "auto-re-park-in-nearby-space" is not a reality now, how would people feel about letting another *verified* Model S owner, who needs to use the charging spot, into your car remotely at the Supercharger and park it in a nearby space in the same parking lot? What would be the technical and social components necessary to make this work reliably?

Offhand, I think it would require:
    1. Putting a sign on your MS that says "contact me when done charging if you need to use this Supercharger spot"
    2. Remote access to unlock the car remotely
    3. Some verification system so you know that it's another Model S owner, rather than a random thief
    4. A geofencing feature of the MS, so that when you unlock it remotely and allow the other owner to drive it, the MS is locked to stay in the parking lot. (I don't know if this sort of geofencing is illegal--I suppose it is unsafe though.)

Maybe it will never happen but it's nice to speculate about it. Thanks!

An alternative would be: an extremely long (and probably extremely expensive, not to mention extremely heavy) Supercharger-compatible extension cord, that can handle the wattage.

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

No. You should just come back and move your car when it finishes charging.

3. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

No. I don't want anyone moving it.

4. TES-E

TES-E Member

I always stay just a couple of minutes walking time away while supercharging. I am always back before it finishes, so this is not a problem for me. I would NOT want anyone to have access to my car, much less move it.

5. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

Might be easier to engineer two back-in spots, diagonally opposed, to access one cable, so if a note were left the car finishing charging could plug the cable into the waiting one.

6. kf93

kf93 Member

between autopilot and the metal snake automatic charger, they have the technology in place to make this happen. I see it as a supercharger regular thing in a few years, cars moving around autonomously and charging, then getting picked up in a waiting lot.

7. Larry93428

Larry93428 Member

KF93, yes. This is a great idea and totally doable.
    Go Tesla!
    ~Larry