Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Park Seek Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can see open parking lot to open parking lot being the goal, but as I said, no AV or ADAS system will handle controlled parking lots. It's not possible without the technology improvements I've described.
I think we need to start with Teslas not just trying to ram down the gates before we worry about the details of how to get the gates to open. Which will be a fairly trivial technical task once we actually have self driving cars. I'm going to get right on starting a business to allow self driving cars to open pay parking gates. I figure I've got about 9 years to found it if I want to have my solution widely adopted and ready for Tesla's driverless cars.

I think we need to start with Teslas not just trying to ram down the gates before we worry about the details of how to get the gates to open. Which will be a fairly trivial technical task once we actually have self driving cars. I'm going to get right on starting a business to allow self driving cars to open pay parking gates. I figure I've got about 9 years to found it if I want to have my solution widely adopted and ready for Tesla's driverless cars.
How do you figure 9 years?

How do you figure 9 years?
History. It's been 6 years since they "showed" a Tesla driving itself with no driver needed, and what we have today is still a limited, L2 beta that can't park itself?

It's a solid bet it will be 9 years before we really care about how a car will open a parking lot without a human in the driver's seat.

Okay so this isn't about FSD being bad, just that your car isn't capable of FSD.
Which is SUPER WEIRD, given Tesla PROMISED that all cars are capable of FSD.

I've owned a Tesla for 20X as long as you. Someone is constantly saying how amazing the last update is. Yet somehow, after 6 years of amazing, world changing, industry dominating updates, what we have is an L2 system that requires constant human attention or it will total the car every 10 or so miles. So excuse my skepticism that they're about to let a car loose in a parking lot with nobody inside it.

If they do, it will 100% be on you and your insurance if something happens. I give it about 10 days before someone gets hurt and insurance companies start updating policies to say you have no coverage when using this function, and public parking lots start posting "no Tesla Park Seek Mode Use" signs.

The only reason Smart Summon is trash is because it doesn't use the FSD Stack. During AI day it was stated that smart summon and features such as park seek mode will use the FSD stack by the end of the year.

Here is what the FSD stack can do in a parking lot:

Oh yeah? That’s the only reason?

If Smart Summon sucks because it doesn’t use the FSD stack, then why does FSD also suck?

Which is SUPER WEIRD, given Tesla PROMISED that all cars are capable of FSD.

I've owned a Tesla for 20X as long as you. Someone is constantly saying how amazing the last update is. Yet somehow, after 6 years of amazing, world changing, industry dominating updates, what we have is an L2 system that requires constant human attention or it will total the car every 10 or so miles. So excuse my skepticism that they're about to let a car loose in a parking lot with nobody inside it.

If they do, it will 100% be on you and your insurance if something happens. I give it about 10 days before someone gets hurt and insurance companies start updating policies to say you have no coverage when using this function, and public parking lots start posting "no Tesla Park Seek Mode Use" signs.
This is why I only keep my Tesla's for 2-3 years. The hardware is always updating

Seems like it tries to kill me less often than it used to. Progress!
Agreed here. It tried to kill me several times last year Oct to Dec(<3 month period), but this year so far (~10 month period) it has only tried to kill me twice I think

To be fair also, I know where FSD is going to fail frequently and disengage it to take over myself. I know that's not the best thing to do as a beta tester, but oh well.. heh

Reactions: momo3605
know that's not the best thing to do as a beta tester, but oh well.. heh
Don't worry about it. You aren't actually beta testing FSD. You've been sold a product that doesn't perform the way it is supposed to, so it's labeled beta to limit customer complaints. There is a very large difference between using a beta product and being a beta tester. Has Tesla ever reached out to you for your feedback? No? User of a beta product, not beta tester.

Remember, ALL of AP is in Beta, including auto wipers, and has been for 8 years now. I don't think we consider every single Tesla owner to be a beta tester. FSD is no different. It's just a marketing term.

Last edited:
also, speaking of parking lots. How does FSD handle leaving a parking lot where your workpass opens up the swing arm as you leave the lot?

From the perspective of someone living in a country where front license plates are required for Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) cameras - this wouldn't be too much of an issue. Most modern parking lots in the United Kingdom use these ANPR cameras to allow you to get in and out without the need for an RFID fob or key card.

As an alternative maybe something like HomeLink but for these kinds of barriers would work.

Have you seen 10.69.x versions of FSD?
Have you seen the video you posted of it in the parking lot? 😬 😥 😱 Do you have FSD?
I know that's not the best thing to do as a beta tester, but oh well.. heh
It’s fine. No need to make it unpleasant. Tesla will get all the data they need to make this as good as they are able to. No one knows what that will look like. Probably not even Tesla!

We’ve got many many months to go before we can expect anything remotely decent in parking lots and probably longer. It’s a very difficult problem to figure out how a parking lot works (where is the exit, if you want to leave from a different exit?) except through clever trial and error. Humans are good at this, but FSD is not. No one knows how humans work.

Reactions: Les Mann
You’re a clown. If you compare 10.69 to previous versions you’ll see how much of a leap it is. FSD used to not even drive in parking lots just a few months ago.
You must not have FSDb. Anyone here will tell you 10.69 is incrementally better than previous versions AT BEST.

And it still doesn’t drive in parking lots…just because a YouTube shill cherry picked an example where it kinda worked doesn’t mean it works in general.