Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parked at airport for 36 hours, lost 40miles of range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps another question of me unintentionally doing something silly, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how I lost 40 miles of range over 36 hours while parked. Sentry mode only had 1 event and it doesn’t look like cabin overheat engaged.

What am I missing? Thinking this has to be an odd setting that keeps waking the car up because nothing similar happens at home.

It is due to Sentry Mode preventing the Tesla Model Y from entering sleep mode. It is not related to having multiple sentry mode events. If you want to minimize the power drain when parked then set Sentry Mode to be off any time your Tesla vehicle will be parked for an extended period. Estimated battery drain with Sentry Mode on and the Tesla vehicle remaining powered on is 6 to 7 % of the battery charge per 24 hours. With the Tesla Model Y parked, in sleep mode the battery drain is ~1% per week.

It is due to Sentry Mode preventing the Tesla Model Y from entering sleep mode. It is not related to having multiple sentry mode events. If you want to minimize the power drain when parked then set Sentry Mode to be off any time your Tesla vehicle will be parked for an extended period. Estimated battery drain with Sentry Mode on and the Tesla vehicle remaining powered on is 6 to 7 % of the battery charge per 24 hours. With the Tesla Model Y parked, in sleep mode the battery drain is ~1% per week.
Makes sense. The 6-7%/day loss is roughly consistent with what I saw. I'd closed the app and then opened it from time to time to check in on temp and charge since this was my first trip and I wasn't sure what to expect.

Kinda thought that sentry would be useful in this environment, but for a longer trip it'd be more a curse than a blessing with the battery drain.

Sentry mode

What am I missing?

Kinda thought that sentry would be useful in this environment, but for a longer trip it'd be more a curse than a blessing with the battery drain.

Already answered, but no sentry mode is absolutely NOT useful in parking for any length of time at an airport, or anywhere else you will be leaving the car for a few days, unless its plugged in. Sentry mode will use somewhere between 15-30 miles a day by itself keeping the car awake, not counting cabin overheat protection, or standby summon and the number of sentry events is immaterial.

Sentry mode was originally designed because of break ins in SSF of model 3s. The car was not designed with sentry mode being a core feature, or it wouldnt always keep the car awake if it was. Its useful for going to the store, going out to dinner etc, or if you dont have a garage and are ok with running it 24 / 7 at home (putting an extra 8k ish "miles" a year on the battery, that can work too.

Where its not useful at all, is "I am going to park at the airport / park my car for storage for a couple weeks and it wont be plugged in", which is one of the exact times people think "oh man sentry mode will be great for this".

I havent gotten on a plane in a while (since pre covid) but its more common than it used to be for airports to have some sort of EV charging available at least in some of the parking lots. Check for that, and plug in there when you travel, and you can leave sentry mode on in that case (plugged in charging).

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Perhaps another question of me unintentionally doing something silly, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how I lost 40 miles of range over 36 hours while parked. Sentry mode only had 1 event and it doesn’t look like cabin overheat engaged.

What am I missing? Thinking this has to be an odd setting that keeps waking the car up because nothing similar happens at home.
I accidentally left my heated steering wheel on for 5 days and lost a bunch of miles. Dumb on my part but surprised that it did not turn itself off after so many hours of sitting there. My mistake and learned from it.

Makes sense. The 6-7%/day loss is roughly consistent with what I saw. I'd closed the app and then opened it from time to time to check in on temp and charge since this was my first trip and I wasn't sure what to expect.

You can open the Tesla app while you are away as required but try and minimize the number of times you do this while the Tesla vehicle is parked. The Tesla Model Y will wake up each time you open the app, use additional power for ~20 minutes or so before re-entering sleep mode. One reason to open the app would be to unlock and re-lock the Tesla vehicle. This resets the 12 hour window where cabin overheat protection will be active. Another would be if the Telsa vehicle was left plugged in for an extended period of time, i.e. weeks. You can set the battery state of charge to be maintained at ~50% or so and then shorty before you return use the Tesla app to increase the charging limit to your usual daily charge limit setting so that when you arrive the vehicle will have been charged to that level.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
Thought about this a bit today and was considering using the no sentry mode at favorites setting. But the airport in question (DFW) is huge and has multiple parking areas that are rather distant from each other. Is there a more elegant solution than adding each parking garage one by one to favorites?

Thought about this a bit today and was considering using the no sentry mode at favorites setting. But the airport in question (DFW) is huge and has multiple parking areas that are rather distant from each other. Is there a more elegant solution than adding each parking garage one by one to favorites?
Just tap the Sentry Mode icon in the upper right of the screen before you exit. If the red light is not illuminated Sentry mode will not activate. You can also use the voice commands "Disable Sentry Mode" and "Enable Sentry Mode".

Just tap the Sentry Mode icon in the upper right of the screen before you exit. If the red light is not illuminated Sentry mode will not activate. You can also use the voice commands "Disable Sentry Mode" and "Enable Sentry Mode".
That's my plan in general. I'm thinking (perhaps over thinking) about how to set up the system to have a "fail safe" in the inevitable event that I forget the above.

I just left my MYP in the garage unplugged for 3 days at 76% as I went on a camping trip. Figured it would lose some % since I assume it checks for updates etc.. but nope, got back and was still at 76%. Build date June 2022

I left my M3 LRAWD parked in a Airport garage for 10 days, made sure that Sentry Mode was off and Cabin Overheat Protection was also off, didn't check on the vehicle in the app until we got back to the airport from our trip and I had only lost 3%. These vehicles will not loose much so long as you set it up correctly.

I just left my MYP in the garage unplugged for 3 days at 76% as I went on a camping trip. Figured it would lose some % since I assume it checks for updates etc.. but nope, got back and was still at 76%. Build date June 2022
Same here. Didn't drive it for five days and left unplugged. It drained 1% but that's because I turned on sentry mode to see the cameras a couple of times.

Already answered, but no sentry mode is absolutely NOT useful in parking for any length of time at an airport, or anywhere else you will be leaving the car for a few days, unless its plugged in. Sentry mode will use somewhere between 15-30 miles a day by itself keeping the car awake, not counting cabin overheat protection, or standby summon and the number of sentry events is immaterial.

Sentry mode was originally designed because of break ins in SSF of model 3s. The car was not designed with sentry mode being a core feature, or it wouldnt always keep the car awake if it was. Its useful for going to the store, going out to dinner etc, or if you dont have a garage and are ok with running it 24 / 7 at home (putting an extra 8k ish "miles" a year on the battery, that can work too.

Where its not useful at all, is "I am going to park at the airport / park my car for storage for a couple weeks and it wont be plugged in", which is one of the exact times people think "oh man sentry mode will be great for this".

I havent gotten on a plane in a while (since pre covid) but its more common than it used to be for airports to have some sort of EV charging available at least in some of the parking lots. Check for that, and plug in there when you travel, and you can leave sentry mode on in that case (plugged in charging).
This option recently came to my mind. If you leave your car plugged in at an airport parking lot and set a charging limit, would charging start whenever sentry mode makes the battery level drop below that point by a certain margin? Or would the car be constantly charging as sentry mode drains power from the battery?

This option recently came to my mind. If you leave your car plugged in at an airport parking lot and set a charging limit, would charging start whenever sentry mode makes the battery level drop below that point by a certain margin? Or would the car be constantly charging as sentry mode drains power from the battery?
In that case the Tesla vehicle will charge periodically for a short time. The battery state of charge has to drop several percentage points before charging the battery back to the preset charging limit.

Sentry and cabin overheat protection are the culprit. For some reason even at home garage if I have sentry on but exclude home and cabin overheat protection, I still lose capacity, around 1 mile every hour. After I completely turned both off, I no longer lose capacity. Usually the app frequently also wakes up the car and will drain the battery. DFW has EV valet, they will charge it before your return but at 40/day seems excessive.