Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parked Car Severely Damaged - Lawyer Needed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday, my parked 1 year old Tesla Model Y (13k miles) got hit by a driver who lost control their vehicle and I'm heartbroken. This happened while we were sleeping at our Airbnb on vacation. The car slammed into our upstairs fellow vacationer neighbor's RAV4 which in turn got rammed into my Model Y. The Y got pushed into bushes and trees. There was a huge scene, driver was taken to the hospital and all cars were towed. I have full insurance on the car but I'm worried that if the car is reparable, it won't be safe or if insurance considers it totaled I will get a lowball offer. Even worse, I'm in a rental now and delivery for new Model Y is in April 2022. Now, I'll have to face renting a car for what? 6 months or buying another car until April? Seems quite insane! Apparently the driver had an epileptic seizure (history of epilepsy) and we don't even know if their insurance will cover. What is everyone's thoughts? Totaled? Do I need a lawyer?
02e75716-0ffc-40a0-8c49-ae0a56d0b75d.JPG
PHOTO-2021-10-17-11-14-06 6.jpg
PHOTO-2021-10-17-11-14-06 10.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4145 copy.jpg
    IMG_4145 copy.jpg
    786.7 KB · Views: 57
That might be salvaged. They’ll have to look under to see what’s going on. And if not, you’ll probably have to wait a long time for a repair. A ladder went flying out of a pick-up and hit my front bumper while driving. The damage was not all that much but the estimate was around 6k. Not to mention, it took nearly 2 months for me to get the car back. Things were backed up, this and that…Your damage is considerably worse. I’d definitely lawyer up. It has obviously caused you mental anguish. Good thing you were not in the car. And finally, some attorney’s won’t need a retainer, they’ll just take a cut of a settlement.
40% or so).

That is quite a bit of damage. Judging from the examples of damage around here your car will likely be totaled given it's likely cost to fix. You probably don't need a lawyer unless you want to take on the driver on your own? Let your insurance handle it. There's not much to do about the delays in new tesla deliveries. Borrow or buy a cheap car? I'm not sure how a rental stipend can float you for a year etc...?

I think Totaled too, but im not an insurance adjuster. assuming airbags went off. front, and rear damage. will add up fast is all Im going off of. As for getting low balled for the claim, I was thinking you would actually get a good price for it, because prices are so high currently. I would definitely do your homework to help look at market prices to point out to adjuster if they do come back on low side. I am hearing some getting more then they paid for their cars because of prices.

In this situation I would trust the insurance process. In all likelihood the cost of all the needed repairs will exceed 50% of the vehicle's current value and your insurance company will declare it a total loss. While you have a rental car and Tesla is determining the cost of the needed repairs you should start shopping for a new vehicle. As you noted the deliveries on Long Range Model Y vehicles are more than 6 months out. You can take delivery of a new Performance Model Y by December.

As no one was injured and you have not been sued there is no need, yet, to involve an attorney.

Sorry to hear about the mishap. Glad no one was in the car when it happened.

Good/bad thing about Teslas is that there aren't too many things in the front of the car that will cause damage to the frame/battery structure. And that's where it needs to get hit to have the car totaled. Although the front looks bad, since the car was stationary and got pushed into other cars/objects, the impact energy would have been dissipated. Even if it costs $20k to repair, that's still not enough damage to total the car. Hope all works out for the best!

Yikes! Sorry to see the damage on the OP's car. I got rear ended at the beginning of the month so I can definitely feel your pain. I did a lot of research into MY accidents on this site after I got rear ended and the amount of damage seen here seems to warrant the car being totaled.

By the way, it seems like 9 out of 10 MY's I've seen on this site that got rear ended are blue. What's up with that?

Best of luck to the OP in dealing with this unfortunate situation.

This is why you have insurance and hopefully uninsured motorist insurance. Not exactly sure what hiring a lawyer would accomplish, other than taking money from you. It was a non-injury accident. The other party's insurance would pay, if not your insurance would pay. Also, as soon as you post to a public forum, you significantly hinder any case you may have if you wanted to hire a lawyer. Just FYI.
It sucks that your car got hit, but you are being a little dramatic here. The other driver had a medical emergency, it was an accident. Insurance will either repair or replace your car. If they repair the car, file a diminished value claim against the other party's insurance to recoup the diminished value and be done with it.

Did any of your airbags pop?

If I had to guess, totalled. Rear end damage doesn’t seem as serious as the front end tree damage.
My vehicle had way less damage when it got damaged, but the calculation is cost to repair, and this is an expensive vehicle, leaving lots of room for repair costs.
When you say ‘lowball offer’ that should be impossible considering this used costs the same as new at the moment, so that would be very unlikely. Do you have additional coverage for ‘total replacement value’? Thats a good clause to get for the next car, usually lasts 5 years, and my brother in law totalled my csr at 4.5 years of age, I had the clause and got more then I paid for it as the new vehicle cost crept up over the years.

Insurance is well aware of the high resale values of Model Y. Show them comps of what it will cost to replace yours (if you have replacement value insurance). Will give you enough to buy another same model/mileage/equipped replacement. It is up to you if you wish to order (and wait) for a new one.
Will also pay for taxes/delivery/registration lost.
May have to push them a little but it should happen.

Agree with previous posts - insurance will take care of this, and given the market and how new your MY is, you should get full value replacement for one. The lawyer will just take your money, and not sure the value you would get. The wait for a new MY will be a pain, of course, but this was a freak accident, and how fortunate everyone is to not have been in harms way when the driver had a seizure and lost control.

Epileptic Patients are now allowed to drive unless they are seizure-free for a period of time. Look into that. Things happen, make sure you get your depreciated loss value from the other insured. My old car was rammed by an old lady who had a heart attack while driving. Her insurance company paid for all my repairs. I did not seek loss of value as the car was worth less than 3k at the time. Your resale value right now is HIGH so the loss of value should be covered by the other insurance company. Call them and get the paperwork started.