Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parked in home garage for 9 days, only lost 11 mi of range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We finally got to take our family summer trip and for kicks, I unplugged our S (2017 MS 100D / MCU1 / ver 2018.26) at 80% or 267 mi of range the morning (5AM) we left.

9 days later (at nearly midnight), it was at 256 mi of range or a loss of about 1 mi per day, give or take.

I enabled the 2 power-saving options in the car (“Always connected” / energy saving), the garage hovered in between 70F at night and 80F during the day during the 9 day period, and I *never* checked the app remotely during this time. (I also disabled scheduled HVAC events in TeslaFi, but did not change our password/token.)

I know a lot of people have trouble with vampire loss, so I just wanted to report what I experienced.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
I had similar experience last winter. Left my Model S 75D at Toronto Pearson terminal parking for 12 days
Temperature was about -10 celcius. Only lost about 15 km of range. I did not wakeb up the car via the application while away, so I assume the car went into deep sleep?

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
The biggest improvement is disabling "Always Connected". Since all cars are forced into sleep mode overnight (you can't disable that), unless you do something to wake the car, it should stay in sleep mode all day.

Tesla should make energy saving automatic. If a car is parked unplugged for over 24 hours, it should automatically go into "deep sleep" mode, and automatically disable "always connected", reducing charge drain as much as possible.

We're getting ready to take a 12 day trip - and are deciding whether to park our X 100D at the airport for 12 days or arrange transportation. I did a short test of our S 100D parked unplugged over a long weekend, and confirmed it only lost a few miles of charge over 3 days - which is consistent with the comments above.

Based on our short test and the comments above, we'll likely park our X at the airport, since it should be less expensive (even with parking costs) than getting transportation to/from the airport.

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
The biggest improvement is disabling "Always Connected". Since all cars are forced into sleep mode overnight (you can't disable that), unless you do something to wake the car, it should stay in sleep mode all day.

Based on our short test and the comments above, we'll likely park our X at the airport, since it should be less expensive (even with parking costs) than getting transportation to/from the airport.

Hi
I have a 20 day trip coming up - no access to power in condo (Toronto) - and temp will hover around freezing 32F/0C. How do I disable "Always Connected" ?

thanks

For MCU1 vehicles, it's located on the Display tab of the Settings window. I can't check our MCU2 vehicle right now, though if the setting is present anywhere, it should be on the same page.

For 20 days, with temperatures around freezing, it may be risky to assume you will have enough charge to maintain the battery at safe operating temperature, even with Always Connected disabled. Heating the battery may use most of the battery energy.

Any possibility of getting a connection to a 110 outlet? That should provide enough power to periodically heat the battery pack.

Heck, I lived for over a year and about 12,000 miles with just a regular 110V outlet for charging. Even though it seems like 3 miles of range per hour of charging time is nothing to a 300-mile battery, it will do a lot for you if the car tends to sit a lot, or when you're away.