TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Parked in the cold for a couple of days

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Boatguy, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

I'm taking a trip where the MS will be parked in the cold for a couple of days with no charging available. Basically I'll do a roundtrip of about 170mi from an SC (EVTP says 183RM), during which the car will be parked in about 35F for a couple of days.

I'll set Energy Saving ON and Always Connected OFF to minimize vampire. Is there anything is there else that I should do to minimize vampire?

2. kort677

kort677 Banned

try finding a way to plug in, even a 110 would be beneficial

3. tga

tga Supporting Member

Meh. 170 total? 85 each way? Peanuts. I just did that this morning (West Lebanon to Stowe VT and back). I used ~35% each way, driving 75 mph with heat @ 65F, outside air temp around 30F.

Don't worry about it. I've been parking outside without plugging in since New Year's. Worst case, temps in the single digits, I've seen loses <10%/ day, with a failing 12V battery.

Try to plug into 120V of you can, but I'd just range charge before leaving the SC, drive slowly with low heat, and not panic. I also crank the heat at the SC to warm up the cabin without using battery. Then I turn it off until I can't stand it any more. I don't turn down the temp, for fear the car will blow in cold air and it'll cool faster.

• Like x 1
  4. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

There isn't anything you need to do about that. That's not even below freezing.