Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parked Model X for camping/emergency power?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

UncaNed

Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2015
East coast
My power was out from the storm. The only way I could keep wifi and an LED bulb on was the cigarette lighter/12 volt port on my Model X and a little inverter. But it shuts off every few minutes and I have to keep reactivating the Tesla. Is there any way to keep it on? Surely somebody who uses their car for camping has this issue too.

2018 X75D, advice much appreciated!

Now that I have a 2022 Plaid model X, can anyone tell me how best to tap into the 12 volts to plug in my 800 watt inverter for emergencies?? My 2018 Model X had a place behind the frunk for more continuous power than the cigarette lighter outlet could provide; is there a better place to hook up my inverter if we get another ice storm this winter for my electric blanket, lights and internet?

Now that I have a 2022 Plaid model X, can anyone tell me how best to tap into the 12 volts to plug in my 800 watt inverter for emergencies?? My 2018 Model X had a place behind the frunk for more continuous power than the cigarette lighter outlet could provide; is there a better place to hook up my inverter if we get another ice storm this winter for my electric blanket, lights and internet?
Look under Low Voltage Power Socket.
Note the refresh low voltage is 15.5v, not 12v. So you need to make sure your inverter can support 16V input.

Thanks for the info!

Does anyone know of an inverter that will work with the 15.5 volts from my Tesla?

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed
An 800 watt inverter will seriously overload the electrical system in the Tesla. It will need upwards of 60 amps. You need to reduce your power consumption to around 150 watts maximum.

Look under Low Voltage Power Socket.
Note the refresh low voltage is 15.5v, not 12v. So you need to make sure your inverter can support 16V input.
I'd like an inverter for power grid emergencies; I'm old, with cold weather health issues.

If refreshed 2022 Plaid Model X is 15.5 volts, isn't there still 12 volts on my trailer outlet for turn signals I might run a small invert off of?

My 2018 pre-refreshed model X's had an 80 AMP jump start post in the frunk:
For bigger power inverter, you can connect to the jump start post in frunk. It's fused at 80 amps, so you can use a 800w inverter. If you need a bigger one, you can connect to the 12v battery, which will give you 200 amp, you can use a 2000w inverter, make sure turn off HVAC to avoid overloading the DCDC converter, which is rated 2500w. But it may need to run HVAC to warm or cool the battery, so it's safer to use a inverter with 1500w or less.
Does the 2022 refreshed Model X Plaid have anything like the 80 AMP jump start post in my 2018 Model X75D?? I'd like to power a 400 watt inverter in emergencies.

I can't handle another winter power outage like we had in 2019 without a few hundred amps for an electric blanket, internet, a couple LED lights... because of my health situation. I couldn't climb in and out and just camp in my Tesla either.

Last edited:
My 2018 pre-refreshed model X's had an 80 AMP jump start post in the frunk:

Does the 2022 refreshed Model X Plaid have anything like the 80 AMP jump start post in my 2018 Model X75D?? I'd like to power a 400 watt inverter in emergencies.

I can't handle another winter power outage like we had in 2019 without a few hundred amps for an electric blanket, internet, a couple LED lights... because of my health situation. I couldn't climb in and out and just camp in my Tesla either.
The current 2022 (and newer) Teslas changed to a 16 volt based low voltage system, which is not compatible with many 12Volt accessories. With that being said, Tesla has never supported vehicle to house power, in fact attempting to do that, is specifically prohibited (see the owners manual). With some of the competing manufactures now offering the feature, that may change for future vehicles. But for vehicles in peoples' driveways today, it is not possible.

You might want to check out various battery based generators, that would very likely fit the bill. I've been thinking about grabbing one of them from EgoPowerPlus The #1 Rated Brand in Cordless Outdoor Power Equipment | EGO, since I already have one of their Zero turn Mowers with four very large batteries. But I already have a standby generator attached to my house, so the need for that is not very high.

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed