Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parked my car at the airport…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello from Toronto!! So the other day, I parked my car at an underground garage and left it there. The battery was about 97% - range mode on, sentry mode off, climate off - coz I knew I was gonna be gone for a while. A few days later I couldn’t even see any update on the Tesla app. And when I came back 3 weeks later, voila: the car was completely dead - unresponsive - couldn’t even pop open the charging port. Had to get it towed. And Tesla repair centre said it’s normal.

So, my question is:

Is this normal for a 2019 a Model S 100D?

Not normal at all. If you lost visibility to the car from the Tesla app after only a few days, then something happened at that point. You should be able to tell how much charge is left in your car at all times on the Tesla app and I have left the car for over a month before and still had enough charge to drive home. I was able to see it dropping about 3-4 miles of charge a day.

It's not normal. Being underground it may be true that the signal can't get out, so you can't monitor the car. But even with any phantom drain, when the car is down to 20% battery left it should shut down almost everything to conserve remaining energy, and I would think that should last you a couple weeks.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Are you sure the car was dead? Generally when I leave my car at the airport for several weeks it will go into deep sleep and I am unable to contact it from the app and it does not unlock when I approach it with my keyfob...but clicking the keyfob unlocks the doors and the car wakes back up and is then drivable and back to normal...

Are you sure you disabled Sentry Mode?

This is an example of why I never park in airport garages anymore, I just Uber to/from the airport. Not only don’t I have to worry about the car, it’s often less expensive to Uber than to park at the airport, but I would do it even if it cost more.

Are you sure you disabled Sentry Mode?

This is an example of why I never park in airport garages anymore, I just Uber to/from the airport. Not only don’t I have to worry about the car, it’s often less expensive to Uber than to park at the airport, but I would do it even if it cost more.
To each his own. I'm a consultant who (pre covid) was on travel 2-3 weeks a month....all international trips. Have left my car in the garage (not plugged in) and around 90% state of charge for a 3 week trip and got back to have no issues other than the deep sleep I previously described. I do shut down Remote S and Tesla App in my phone while on travel. Have never had a drop of more than 1-2% per day....

Reactions: Prairie and 2101Guy
Ive parked mine at the airport more times than I can recall, and left sentry on/active. I've lost an average of about 4% charge per day WITH sentry enabled. Considering I never leave it for more than 7 days at a time and that I arrive at the airport typically with at least 70% state of charge, Ive had zero issues.

I also want to state its not normal. Went to vegas a few weeks ago and car was parked at the hotel fully charged and not plugged in. Same as you, I had range mode on and sentry mode disabled. I also have a blackvue dashcam that is always on draining battery. I lost 3 miles with 3 days of no driving.

When my car died at the airport, the road side assistance team wouldn’t dispatch a tow truck for me unless I verbally agree to cover the cost. I told them I did everything I could to prevent the battery to deplete to zero, yet they singlehandedly relate the cause to my mishandling and refuse to dispatch any help. In the end I did had to call an Uber.
And I quote from owner’s manual:
“Model S unplugged for an extended period of time (for example, at an airport when traveling). In these situations, keep the 1% in mind to ensure that you leave the Battery with a su cient charge level. For example, over a two week period (14 days), the Battery may discharge by approximately 14%.”

My car is still at the service centre but no work was to be done. They are waiting for me to pick it up now. While the car is untethered, it’s currently losing about 1 km per hour. Almost 30km per day. In 2 weeks, it will completely die off again. So to cut loss maybe I should just leave it there…

When my car died at the airport, the road side assistance team wouldn’t dispatch a tow truck for me unless I verbally agree to cover the cost. I told them I did everything I could to prevent the battery to deplete to zero, yet they singlehandedly relate the cause to my mishandling and refuse to dispatch any help. In the end I did had to call an Uber.
And I quote from owner’s manual:
“Model S unplugged for an extended period of time (for example, at an airport when traveling). In these situations, keep the 1% in mind to ensure that you leave the Battery with a su cient charge level. For example, over a two week period (14 days), the Battery may discharge by approximately 14%.”

My car is still at the service centre but no work was to be done. They are waiting for me to pick it up now. While the car is untethered, it’s currently losing about 1 km per hour. Almost 30km per day. In 2 weeks, it will completely die off again. So to cut loss maybe I should just leave it there…

Have the Tesla Service department disable/purge any Tokens associated with the Car and 3rd party apps like TeslaFi etc. Also change your Tesla Account Password and Uninstall/Re-Install the app on your phone.

I had a similar issue on my car, it was losing that sort of range and never going to sleep throughout the day due to some "stuck" Tokens etc

Reactions: Jpandes and drklain
Changed the password and everything. But still the battery is draining about 1 mile per hour while parked. If the battery behaves like this the. in winter time my car probably wouldn’t last longer than 3 days. What a horrible thing to realize! I don’t want my car anymore.

Changed the password and everything. But still the battery is draining about 1 mile per hour while parked. If the battery behaves like this the. in winter time my car probably wouldn’t last longer than 3 days. What a horrible thing to realize! I don’t want my car anymore.
Changing the password won't disable any software/connections that are using tokens. Hence @BCTS told you to contact service and have them purge the tokens. What you are describing is not normal. You've been given recommendations on how to address the issues, but seem to be committed to jumping to the "I hate this car and don't want it" (which is certainly your right). Just recognize you have posted in this forum a grand total of 3 times...all in this thread and all in the last seven days. You came looking for advice and guidance but don't seem to want to take it... Teslas are great cars and what you are describing is not normal and can be resolved. You either need to do what is necessary to resolve it or sell the car and move on....

Changing the password won't disable any software/connections that are using tokens. Hence @BCTS told you to contact service and have them purge the tokens. What you are describing is not normal. You've been given recommendations on how to address the issues, but seem to be committed to jumping to the "I hate this car and don't want it" (which is certainly your right). Just recognize you have posted in this forum a grand total of 3 times...all in this thread and all in the last seven days. You came looking for advice and guidance but don't seem to want to take it... Teslas are great cars and what you are describing is not normal and can be resolved. You either need to do what is necessary to resolve it or sell the car and move on....

Debvg might need a better tolerance for Tesla inducted torture :)
I had my issues with the Fans coming on a Full RPM every 30-45 minutes when the Car was parked... Draining the battery and keeping the family awake at night.
Thankfully I worked out if the Car was plugged in and charging they wouldn't come on...

After many conversations with Tesla Support in Sydney Australia and being told it was normal etc... they finally escalated the issue to USA and they could see my Car was never sleeping etc..

Purged the Tokens by Tesla in their Backend.. Reset my Password and never heard the fans again until I was connected to a V3 Supercharger on the Weekend ;)

Reactions: drklain
We parked our 2017 S (MCU2/HW3) for over 2 weeks recently - and it lost about 3-4 miles per day.

But, we just came back from a 12 day trip, and our 2018 X (MCU2/HW3) lost about 10 miles per day.

We had sentry and overheat protection off - and I didn't try to check the car's status during the trip from my phone's app.

I've seen a comment on the forum about having Summon enabled possibly increasing energy consumption - but that wouldn't explain the difference between the two events - since both vehicles have summon enabled.

One difference is that we had the middle and rear seats folded down - and were getting a warning about the middle seat not being locked in place (evidently this is a known bug that other owners are reporting) - so it's possible the system was periodically checking to see if this fault was corrected - and that could have increased the energy consumption.

We're going on a 7 day road trip in our RV soon - and plan to unplug both vehicles from charging while we're gone - and will compare the energy loss in both.

And if we still have greater loss in the X - we have a service appointment scheduled after our trip to check on this.

[Really miss the days when you could call Tesla Assistance and they could look at the car's status while you were on the phone...]

Underground, no signal... Was the car sucking juice attempting repeated connections to mothership? The service center SHOULD be able to pull a battery report from the days you were gone to show what the average drain was per day and to see if there was a spike, but it doesn't mean they will.