Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parked my car at the airport…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since you can no longer get anyone at Tesla on the phone - it looks like our only option to get help was to schedule a service appointment - and the earliest appointment was in two weeks.

So we'll run the test in our garage for 7 days of unplugged parking - and if we still have the issue with the middle row seats up and locked in place and Summon turned off - then Tesla will have fresh log data to look at when they get the vehicle.

Another data point: left mine at Dulles from 6/27 to 7/10. 13 days and 90 minutes; pleasantly surprised with a loss of under 2% per day. Total vampire drain according to TeslaMate was 23%, or 17.71kwh. Average current draw was 56.5w, average loss 0.19m/h. 2015 85D with MCU2.

I just compared the settings for our S and X and found one major difference.

At some point, Tesla added a setting for Summon - to tell the software to keep the cameras and sensors running in order to reduce the startup time when summoning the vehicle.

In our S - that feature was disabled - and we get 3-4 miles of charge lost per day - which is fine.

In our X - that feature was ENABLED. According to the description on the display, this feature will keep the sensors on while parked until the vehicle charge drops to 20%. Which is probably why the vehicle was down to 67 miles of charge when we got to it in the garage - which is slightly more than 20% of charge.

This feature is poorly designed - clearly noone would want to have the camera and sensors on continuously when the vehicle is parked at an airport for many days.

Tesla should modify this feature to add an automatic shutoff after a reasonable time (4-8 hours?) - and not keep it running until it's drained the batteries down to 20%!!!

• Informative
Reactions: BigNick
Not normal at all. If you lost visibility to the car from the Tesla app after only a few days, then something happened at that point. You should be able to tell how much charge is left in your car at all times on the Tesla app and I have left the car for over a month before and still had enough charge to drive home. I was able to see it dropping about 3-4 miles of charge a day.

Losing visibility could mean the car doesn't have a cell signal. Believe it or not, cell signals are not universal even in densely populated areas. It's also the sort of thing that can change as objects in the vicinity are moved like trucks or cars.

Changed the password and everything. But still the battery is draining about 1 mile per hour while parked. If the battery behaves like this the. in winter time my car probably wouldn’t last longer than 3 days. What a horrible thing to realize! I don’t want my car anymore.

I'm going to be parking at the airport for a week or two at a time and I have the same concern now that the weather is turning cold. The last thing I need is to arrive at 11 pm to a dead battery on a Tesla where the entire car has to be towed to a charger IF the 12 volt battery is not also dead in which case you are pretty well screwed and will get no sleep that night at all.

Contrary to what you might think, my experience is that Tesla does not have contact numbers for towing services who are familiar with towing Teslas. I had a flat on the highway and I had to reject two tow trucks before I got one that knew what they were doing. It was the weekend so they towed it to the house, then the next day towed it to the tire center. That *also* took two tries to get competent towing. The first guy wanted to use dollies. If Tesla was happy with dollies they would say that, instead they say use a flat bed. All of this was through Tesla, so I could have done this through the phone book and had better results because I could talk to them before they sent the truck.

Are you sure you disabled Sentry Mode?

This is an example of why I never park in airport garages anymore, I just Uber to/from the airport. Not only don’t I have to worry about the car, it’s often less expensive to Uber than to park at the airport, but I would do it even if it cost more.

I'm 125 miles from the airport and Uber has proven to be very unreliable and unexpectedly expensive even for short trips. I once paid $70 for a 12 mile trip.

I haven't read the bulk of the posts in this thread, so let me know if this has already been answered, but are we sure this isn't a 12V battery issue?

I'm curious if the main pack was still decently energized, and it just stopped charging the 12V battery. Since basically everything but the motors is driven from that battery, if it dies, it could *seem* like the main pack is dead. In reality, you just need to jump the 12V battery to get the DC-DC converter charging it again, and you're off to the races.

If that's the case, it could have been a fault or maybe just a bad 12V battery that dropped below 9V while it was sitting, thus turning the car into a brick...because the 12V system has to power on the accessory electronics, which in turn power on the 400V system.

If the main pack was dead, you have a SERIOUS phantom drain issue. The main pack could run the HVAC system in the car for days on its own, so for it to totally discharge while just sitting 'off' would be a major problem.