TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Parked & plugged in (storage mode) energy usage?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by neroden, Oct 20, 2012.

1. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

Anyone got a sense of this yet?

This electrical usage is probably going to be dominant over the driving/charging usage some months. I'd like to be able to estimate it.

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Check out
    Charging Model S | Tesla Motors

While this is for driving, sitting there plugged in is a fraction of that. I'd estimate maybe 1-2kWh per day but I'll take a closer look. The Model S doesn't have a storage mode like the Roadster does.

3. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

Huh -- seeing this again, you guessed pretty good, dsm. According to people's reports (translating from "miles") it's about 2-3 kWh/day, without sleep mode.

4. tezco

tezco Sig P85

I'm using about 4 to 5 kWh per 24 hrs, measured at the wall.

5. nrcooled

nrcooled P#8946 VIN 03225

In Virginia we recently got some snow so my car has been sitting in the garage sleeping and plugged in. While I haven't measured the power output at the wall , the car has lost distance while sleeping. I noticed when I woke her up to check for the 4.2 update. I was at 241 rated miles when initially completed the charge. Two days later it was at 221 rated miles. If the car is indeed pulling power from the wall at 4-5 kWh a day where is it going?

When I got in the car and woke it up it stated charging again and rose to 241 rated miles again. It doesn't seem as though my car is pulling any power from the wall when sleeping. This was on 4.1 (.31). I will observe what happens on 4.2 (.42).

6. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

If the car was left plugged in for, say, a month would it just continue to lose charge all that time? Is there some point when the software says, okay time to top it up again? Or does it hold it at some optimum (for the battery) level at something like 60% ?

7. tezco

tezco Sig P85

The car tops off about once every 24 hours, at least on software versions up to and including 4.1

8. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Keep in mind some of this is perceived loss of range because the pack gets cold. Many of us have noted that a cold pack indicates less range than actual until the pack warms up.

9. dennis

dennis P85D

I have confirmed that it has the same behavior on 4.2 (1.19.41).

10. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Thanks. On the same theme of parked and plugged in, if away on an extended vacation, are you better to leave it plugged in to the HPWC or a NEMA 14-50 or would it be better to plug it into a 120v outlet? Or maybe it makes no difference?

11. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

At home, I don't see any reason to not use one of the first two choices. At someplace like an airport, the 120V solution is better because it frees up the high power chargers for someone who really needs it.

12. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

That makes sense. I've seen a number of J1772 charging stations that have a 120 v outlets as well like this one:

16686CFB-8C6B-41FD-81E0-5657CAEDA6A8.JPG